Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Odd behaviour
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
muzzy2007

2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Odd behaviour

On Wednesday I set off for work car was its normal self pulled the off the drive and loads of errors appeared gearbox failure,handbrake failure,stability control failure and ride height failure. I pulled over turned it off and back on again all faults cleared Thumbs Up except for the ride height both the access and normal ride height was lit. Turned off and back on again fault cleared and normal ride height selected. No more faults.

Today same again 2 miles into journey fault appeared normal ride height available only. Turned car off back on again fault cleared selected normal ride height no problems again after that.

Any ideas what's a happening here.

I know when I park car on drive it's on a slight incline and the car self levels after I lock it up. I think this is normal

Post #182729716th Jun 2017 8:18 am
Ray Lewis

Germany 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Well Well! This has happened to me twice now. After a few kms (I live in Germany) just about every alarm went off, reduced power, had to stop at traffic lights then the gearbox blocked and I was stranded! After a few minutes with me stuck, hazards flashing (at least they worked) and my obligatory warning triangle set up on the road, it restarted and i got it home. The ADAC came out and deleted dozens of faults, which stayed cleared for a couple of weeks then the whole fiasco replayed just last week. My trust has been dented somewhat.
What could be causing such behaviour?

Post #183081026th Jun 2017 6:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ray Lewis

Should say, I now have a D4 MY2014

Post #183081226th Jun 2017 6:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
muzzy2007

2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

It's very strange mine not done it again now over a week. I've put it down to a lazy ride height sensor but need to get it checked to confirm Thumbs Up

Post #183082626th Jun 2017 7:05 pm
DrRobH

United Kingdom 

Get a code reader. Clear the codes and see what comes up if it does it again....
 Visitor from fullfatrr.com
RR Vogue SE 2011 4.4 TDV8
1974 Lightweight 

Post #183090026th Jun 2017 9:42 pm
Ray Lewis

A few weeks down the road: after a repeat fiasco of alarms and occasions of refusing to start I managed to limp the disco to the LR dealer and after 4 days they failed to find anything other than a loose battery connection. The car then worked without fault for 2 weeks until a couple of days ago when I tried to start it and got no response. Pressing the 'start' button has no effect, either with or without pressure on the brake pedal. The battery is fully charged and all connections are tight. The car can still be unlocked, locked and the stereo and navi work, but it has now sat in the yard for 3 days and simply refuses to start.

I know it has to get back to the dealer at some stage but can anyone suggest anything that might help? I have no code reader btw but the workshop had no help from the fault codes they read and in the interim period there have been no alarms at all.

Big Cry

Post #184653412th Aug 2017 12:00 pm
Ray Lewis

Rolling Eyes
Hey ho!
After standing for 4 days, wet weather, the sun shone and it started. All alarms showed, gearbox blocked but...it started. Short lived joy though and it soon stopped altogether.
Couple of dry days later it started and permitted itself to be driven onto the loader for transport to LR. I can only guess that moisture might be getting in the wiring somewhere?

What's the Disco5 like.........

Post #184744215th Aug 2017 11:54 am
alfamale

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Have you thought about the battery or even alternator? Lots of failures could signal something like this!

Thumbs Up
 Front Runner Rack, OEM Ladder & RAI, Tuff-Trek Foxwing, B'rakhah Ingonyama Expedition Trailer, RLD's Spare Wheel Protector, Bodsy's Bars, Empty Pockets! Member of Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response.

Post #184748015th Aug 2017 1:36 pm
Somerset Bumpkin

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Sounds like a new battery req.

Post #184748615th Aug 2017 1:54 pm
Ray Lewis

Thumbs Up
At last! The problem was traced to a section of cable where the insulation had rubbed through and was sporadically grounding. This was located in a main cable cluster that runs along the car in the chassis and was under the drivers seat area (LHD). The fault codes, on 3 pages and closely printed, contained many with the german word 'denkbus', which I understand to be a sort of information highway carrying sensor signals.
Not being an electrobuff I don't know how easy such a problem would have been to locate, but they were pleased to have found it and I'm very happy to have the car back! Not covered by warranty as it's more than 3 years old, but, that's life!

Time for a beer....

Post #185237630th Aug 2017 4:34 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

muzzy2007 wrote:
It's very strange mine not done it again now over a week. I've put it down to a lazy ride height sensor but need to get it checked to confirm Thumbs Up

Check battery connections are clean and tight, also check all earth connections including chassis to engine, carry a pair of jump leads, if/when it happens again connect one jump lead from your battery to the engine block and see if that cures it, if it does you have a poor earth connection. Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #185237730th Aug 2017 5:06 am
Ray Lewis

I write this in a depressed state.
After running without problems for one week, the whole shebang came back. I managed to drive it to the dealers in limp-home mode, with alarms flashing and repeating and they were able to plug in with the engine still running...but a further week down the line they tell me nothing found. They have had some contact with LR technical, who don't seem to have been able to offer a way forward.

To say this is causing major disruption to life out in the sticks is an understatement!

Big Cry

Post #185703213th Sep 2017 7:08 am
jonno1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Mine (2014) came back from dealership after front suspension work. Wouldn't start next day although everything else worked. Called LR rescue and they sent the AA. Very knowledgeable guy actually. Ran codes etc. then said that he'd look underneath, seemed to know why. Few minutes later all done, tray back on. Apparently the connection to the starter needs to be in a certain orientation which can get missed when work is carried out.
Possibly worth a look??

Post #185709913th Sep 2017 10:33 am
Ray Lewis

Many thanks for the advice, which I have passed on to the workshop with the request that they check it out...

Cheers!

Post #185747014th Sep 2017 10:20 am
Ray Lewis

Having given up trying to locate the fault, they were prepping it to give back to me when the fault spontaneously reappeared! Diagnosis has led them to a faulty transmission control switch, which is on order. The key thing was them experiencing the fault at first hand and realising that the gear selector control was sometimes locking down in the 'P' position. They say they have seen this before and I note there is a thread here with similar experiences.

If anyone wants to believe in divine intervention....!!

Post #185782815th Sep 2017 12:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >