Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Off to Fraser Island in a few weeks time
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
dukemasterpro

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4
Off to Fraser Island in a few weeks time

Very excited Razz - just booked our Fraser accomodation at Easter. Hotel of course as it's our anniversary and mrs dukemasterpro did not fancy a campsite full of noisy backpackers and dingos! Rolling Eyes We are doing day trips basically out of the Kingsfisher resort so will be back in time for a sunset cocktail or two. Smile

Wondering what tips others might have as to must-see spots on the island and any parts where we might have to think about recovery as we are going solo.

Our equipment list is going to contain -

Snatch strap and shackles ( check )
Spade ( check )
Food / water supply ( check )
First Aid kit ( check )
Maxxtrax ( thinking of buying these )
ARB Portable Compressor or similar ( again on the wish list )
ARB Tyre gauge and deflater ( again on our to buy list )
Landrover Assist ( do they come onto Fraser??? Rolling Eyes )

If anyone has any other essentials they can recommend or have used successfully before or perhaps might have for sale (keep the budget down as we are going to Noosa and Byron too Whistle )

We are there between 5th-9th April should any forum members be there and need a tow or vice versa.
 D4 Zermatt Silver TDV6: Premium Nav, Front Park, Bi-xenon, Hi-Ice, 7 Seat, dark as legal window tint. MAXTRAX, small shovel, snatch and shackles. ARB Portable Compressor, Bushranger X-Jack. Lovely new set of Cooper AT3's ready for action…Opposite Lock Colour Coded Bar, Runva 11XP Winch, ARB Awning, Safari Snorkel, Traxide Dual Battery System, Rhino Platform Rack & Accessories  
Post #61123027th Feb 2010 12:32 am
Thomas Reid

Ireland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Fraser Island

Make sure to have a swim in the tea tree lake in the middle of the Island... Beautiful spot. Ooh, and don't forget, the beach is a national highway, which means... You can get pulled over and breath-tested by the Police... Trust me! Whistle Funny how the Empty cans of Tooheys on the dash were a bit of a give away...
 CLUB ' Ah shor it'll be grand'

2011 Disco 4 SDV6 XE with MTR's, & Steps. 

Post #61123427th Feb 2010 12:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dan W

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I'll be leaving just as you arrive DukeMaster. I'll be over there from the 2nd April to the 6th April. Staying at Kingfisher Bay.

I was going to get the barge from Inskip Point then drive up the beach and across but that looks like it could be a 2 hour drive, and I don't fancy long km's up the beach with the Disco binging and bonging!
 2012 MY13 SDV6 SE D4 Ipanema Sand with Almond leather
2012 TDI Passat - they reckon the DSG is crap, I reckon it's awesome
2010 MY11 Mitsubishi Challenger - Gone (it was a "Challenging Year")
2007 MY08 TDV6 SE - gone 

Post #61125327th Feb 2010 3:34 am
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

The only problem with Kingfisher is the daily drive to the east coast where all the attractions are. In the middle of the island there are the musts of MacKenzie and Central Station and possibly the lakes tour that takes you out on Eastern beach at Dilli Village.
Eastern Beach musts include Eli Creek, Indian Heads, Champagne Pools, Waddy Point.
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #6127391st Mar 2010 11:31 pm
dukemasterpro

Dan W wrote:
I'll be leaving just as you arrive DukeMaster. I'll be over there from the 2nd April to the 6th April. Staying at Kingfisher Bay.

I was going to get the barge from Inskip Point then drive up the beach and across but that looks like it could be a 2 hour drive, and I don't fancy long km's up the beach with the Disco binging and bonging!

Is there anyway to avoid the bongs??? Evil or Very Mad
 D4 Zermatt Silver TDV6: Premium Nav, Front Park, Bi-xenon, Hi-Ice, 7 Seat, dark as legal window tint. MAXTRAX, small shovel, snatch and shackles. ARB Portable Compressor, Bushranger X-Jack. Lovely new set of Cooper AT3's ready for action…Opposite Lock Colour Coded Bar, Runva 11XP Winch, ARB Awning, Safari Snorkel, Traxide Dual Battery System, Rhino Platform Rack & Accessories  
Post #6128602nd Mar 2010 9:22 am
Dan W

dukemasterpro wrote:

Is there anyway to avoid the bongs??? Evil or Very Mad

Well my mother reckoned it was the people I hung around with Rolling with laughter

Seriously, yes;
1) Drive below 45km an hour
2) Painfully keep raising and lowering the suspension as required
3) wear earplugs - mind you ignoring it seems to bring on "Suspension Fault"
4) Sell the D3 and buy something that doesn't treat you like an idiot.

I'm leaning towards option 4
2007 MY08 TDV6 SE - gone 

Post #6135663rd Mar 2010 12:30 pm
dukemasterpro

Picked up the ARB Portable Compressor today Very Happy Good little unit, impressed with how easy it was to setup and use. Whistle

Had a quick deflate and inflate of the tyre. Very easy - got the clip on tyre deflator / inflator with gauge that they have just released. Now find me some sand to practise getting bogged..... Rolling with laughter

Well actually might head to Stockton for some driver training later this month. Don't want to be getting towed out by some group of Swedish backpackers in their troopy on Fraser.
Post #6143244th Mar 2010 11:03 am
dukemasterpro

Just back from Port Stephens. Did Getabout Driver Training, yesterday. Great day, always amazing how much you forget from the last time out on sand and how easy the D4 copes with the terrain. Bow down

Few things I noted - compared to the D3 when travelling on the inland track behind the dunes the ride is pretty firm and it was easy to get caught out with some hidden bumps / depressions in the sand. Much better raised, but sure the D3 was not as firm in the first place. Question

Found that 16psi was ok, and 14psi fanastic and much less effort to keep going. Overall fuel consumption for the 24km's ( roughly ) that we did was around 25l/100km.

Actually didn't get bogged anywhere, some other trainee's ( all in Jap 4x4's or ute's ) seemed to get stuck more often in soft sand on a slight incline or the big dunes. Only thing that got me was my gingerly reversing down a dune to line up a better approach for the other side, but more my driving style than the D4 and easily corrected.

Only issue we had and maybe some forum members might know about was on two of the very steep dunes ( Sand Mode, DSC off, High Range 1st Gear ) at the bottom the Hill Descent Icon in the 4x4 info screen was highlighted with an exclamation mark, also on the dash a symbol opposite the DSC off icon was illuminated ( a car with skid marks?? ) Surprised

Also had a quick drive onto Samurai Beach, near Anna Bay. Word of warning it's popular with the clothing optional type of beach-goer, so we didn't stay long enough to be converted! Laughing The D4 again fine on the soft access road through the dunes was pretty choppy but hint of a bog in sight. 8)

Roll on Fraser in 2 weeks time.. Whistle
Post #62448221st Mar 2010 12:41 pm
Dan W

I head off soon to Fraser. Probably my last trip in the Disco. Lining up a Passat R36 and a GLX-R triton in exchange for my D3 and SP23.

Here is my Gear list for Fraser;
ARB Compressor
Snatch Strap & Shackles
Tyre Gauge
Shovel

call me old fashioned. Very Happy
2007 MY08 TDV6 SE - gone 

Post #62987731st Mar 2010 9:10 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The Valley of the Giants is good to visit. Thumbs Up
NE of Kingfisher.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #6303981st Apr 2010 4:56 am
jdea

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The Fraser island Clean up is on over the May day long weekend if anyones keen.....I'm heading down(i hope)

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/lroc-brisbane-tr...an-up.html

Post #6309651st Apr 2010 11:48 pm
Dan W

Just got back from 4 nights on Fraser.

All was good except I wasn't aware that the Island now appears to be a Mecca for Rum Drinking, Aussie Flag toting, 4x4 Ute Driving blokes with Southern Cross tattoos!

Some of the tracks had their rough spots, but with plenty of rain recently the sand was nice and compact on the insland trails so nothing too tricky at all.

I was a little bit disappointed at the number of drivers who refuse to give way even when it was easier for them to pull into a passing bay than it was for me to back up and pull into one, but I suppose you get that with a lot of punters in hired 4x4's.

Was very impressed with Lake Mackenzie, Central Station, and some of the tracks that wind through rainforest. Also found Kingfisher Bay to be quite nice too. The W kids loved the Junior Eco Rangers programs at night, and I enjoyed having dinner with Mrs W while they were out with their torches!

Would happily go back again, and found this time of year to be just right weather wise (not too hot but warm enough for swimming).
I didn't see DukeMasterPro in his D4 but did see plenty of other D3's.
2007 MY08 TDV6 SE - gone 

Post #6323116th Apr 2010 9:26 am
dukemasterpro

Fraser update

Just got back from Fraser on Sunday night, thoroughly enjoyed it Thumbs Up and wondering why we had not been there in the previous 2 LR's we have had! Weather was great asides from one afternoon on the beach when it was sunny at Dilli, heavy showers at the Maheno area and sunshine at Indian Head.

Totally agree with DanW - there's a lot of ferals roaming around in Jap 4wd's - far too many singlets, stubby holders with XXXX wandering around but hey, each to their own. Most inland tracks it was 50/50 as to getting right of way on passing bays and one morning we followed the tour bus for a bit and you know the rule about the bigger vehicle getting priority!

It has to be said that I think the conditions were very favourable Smile - we did not get stuck once and the MAXXTRAX did not have their cherry popped. ( Well we did only go as far up the beach as Indian Head - there was a lot of "traffic" bogged on the bypass and the tide was about to change from outgoing to incoming so we left the next section of beach and the very soft bypass for another day). We kept the car in high range, sand mode ( seems much better than the older TR software on the D3 ) and in some of the softer sand inland or beach access or at high tide we had DSC switched off.

We spent most of the 4 days travelling around the island, we did from the Hema maps atlas for Fraser the Southern Forests loop, the Garawongera scenic loop from Happy Valley then back inland to avoid the tide via the Happy Valley Rd, Urang Creek and the Northern Rd to the Kingfisher ( very scenic but extremely overgrown and lots of fallen trees - note to self to bring a saw and drag chains for next time! ) We also did the drive up the beach from Hook Point via the Inland track then up the beach after high tide to Eurong.

All up we used about a tank of fuel over the 4 days, filling up at $1.70 a litre Censored ( 1/2 tank ) and that left us with 1/4 tank upon departure. Fuel consumption up to Fraser from Sydney was average 7.9l/km and the reading crept up to 10l.km during the off-road part. So for a 3150km total trip our spend was $400 and the tank was not dry when we got home, despite returning via the New England Highway which involved a cross country trip from Grafton on the Pacific Highway.

For anyone staying at the Kingfisher, recommend to BYO your own food and drink as it's expensive and limited choice Exclamation a jerry can of diesel would not go amiss given the fuel prices. Also the bakery there does not get bread till 11am, though we got nice rolls for a picnic at the Eurong bakery, which also had pies, pizza etc.

Looking forward to going back again, sometime Question Next on the list though is getting the sand off Lanolin sprayed areas under the bonnet Neutral, we did not spray under the car with Lanolin - finding a ramp suitable was hard and did not fancy crawling underneath Rolling Eyes .

Finally - we did not see any other D4's the whole trip on or off Fraser. Did see a navy RRS 2010 parked at Lake Mackenzie which had roof racks and 20" wheels. Only seen 1 D3 which was at a campsite up the Eastern beach ( white one ), a few defenders and a handful of D2's and one Wicked camper D1 which was on the ferry back!
Post #63528213th Apr 2010 12:49 pm
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Dan W wrote:
I head off soon to Fraser. Probably my last trip in the Disco. Lining up a Passat R36 and a GLX-R triton in exchange for my D3 and SP23.

Here is my Gear list for Fraser;
ARB Compressor
Snatch Strap & Shackles
Tyre Gauge
Shovel

call me old fashioned. Very Happy

Dan
I sold my D3 about 3 months ago and got into a Mitsubishi Challenger
Which is basicallly a Triton with a coil sprung rear end.
 Pete  
Post #63531813th Apr 2010 1:40 pm
HowardHolmes

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Off to Fraser Island in a few weeks time

dukemasterpro wrote:
Very excited Razz - just booked our Fraser accomodation at Easter. Hotel of course as it's our anniversary and mrs dukemasterpro did not fancy a campsite full of noisy backpackers and dingos! Rolling Eyes We are doing day trips basically out of the Kingsfisher resort so will be back in time for a sunset cocktail or two. Smile

Wondering what tips others might have as to must-see spots on the island and any parts where we might have to think about recovery as we are going solo.

Our equipment list is going to contain -

Snatch strap and shackles ( check )
Spade ( check )
Food / water supply ( check )
First Aid kit ( check )
Maxxtrax ( thinking of buying these )
ARB Portable Compressor or similar ( again on the wish list )

ARB Tyre gauge and deflater ( again on our to buy list )
Landrover Assist ( do they come onto Fraser??? Rolling Eyes )

If anyone has any other essentials they can recommend or have used successfully before or perhaps might have for sale (keep the budget down as we are going to Noosa and Byron too Whistle )

We are there between 5th-9th April should any forum members be there and need a tow or vice versa.

That brings back memories, i was once one of them their pack backers back in 91 and went camping on the island for 3 days we had a land cruiser then, there was 8 of us me and 7 girls i got well looked after!!
would love to go again but a bit far to take the Disco!
Hope you had a good time.

Post #63543113th Apr 2010 6:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >