Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Off Road
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Pelyma

England 
Off Road

I have had mine off road for the third time now and I'm getting more confident. Last Saturday it sailed through tracks that a Mittsubishi and a Jeep made heavy work of. Yesterday too was great fun, we had parked up at a barn along a track, which was chewed to pieces by a tractor after several cars had arrived at the meeting place, I towed them all out no problem, even a volvo V70 fully laden, which I guess must weigh a fair amount, with 6 dogs and 4 people in.

Post #81318th Feb 2005 10:09 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Excellent... and were you on the standard tyres ?

-s

Post #82718th Feb 2005 5:00 pm
Pelyma

England 

Yes Goodyear Wranglers. The first time I went offroad I got stuck, they filled up with mud and it was game over. Since then I switch off the HDC which seems to come on with the grass mud & snow setting, drive as normal. This may be a red herring and it was my own ineptitude that got me stuck, but 5 years with my Freelander never saw it stuck!

Post #83918th Feb 2005 10:04 pm
simon

mmm Grass Mud Snow doesn't switch on HDC when I select it. Changes throttle mapping very effectively though.

Never been stuck in my Freelander either.

-s

Post #84018th Feb 2005 10:11 pm
Pelyma

England 

It gives you the yellow HDC square on the 4x4 info screen, if you then push the HDC button it goes from the screen - so I assume it is switching it off. I have to say I'm a bit hazy on the programs, I have more confidence in selecting the ratio and setting the suspension, but I feel I should use them so I do. I can't say I notice much difference. It is interesting to see the diff lock up (I didn't go for the rear one)

Post #85719th Feb 2005 5:28 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I was on a muddy hill the other day, and got the two nearside wheels in a deep rut. The car stopped, and did not want to move back or forward. I was in Mud and Ruts, Low range. I turned off the DSC, and floored it. It shot out very easily. The DSC does not like wheels spinning, and by disabling it, it gives the car a chance of getting some grip.

Post #85919th Feb 2005 5:39 pm
simon

Pelyma,

Does the HDC light come on in the instrument panel or are you just seeing this in the 4 x 4 display on the Sat Nav screen ?

Light never comes on for me... maybe my car is wrong and yours is behaving correctly ? Will check tomorrow and see what lights up on grass, gravel, snow. Would kind of make sense though to have HDC automatically selected in slippery conditions.

Anyone else confirm the correct behaviour ? I don't have the luxury of the 4 x 4 info (no premium sat nav).

Gareth... you been tobogganing on your recently, what behaviour do you get in this setting with HDC ?

Agree DSC can sometimes be a pain. My beemer used to just sit there in the snow whilst trying to get off my drive (on a slope). Turn DSC off and the tyres got a chance to bite.

-s

Post #86519th Feb 2005 9:19 pm
Pelyma

England 

The fog is beginning to clear - maybe HDC is not the culprit! When I got stuck it was very slippery maybe it was the DSC not the HDC that was the problem. Simon, not sure what lights come up on the dash, I was only looking at the screen. Maybe I should turn both off and then just each one. Unfortunately I am not going to get a chance to do anything muddy for some time to try it out. Of course if we had the LR experience vouchers......

By the way don't jet wash your car off on the drive, it gets you in big trouble with the wife Embarassed

Post #87519th Feb 2005 10:41 pm
jzk

United States 

I took the LR3 offroading for the first time Saturday:

http://www.pbase.com/jzk/land_rover_lake_geneva_march_05

The conditions were snow, ice and mud. There was a Land Rover guy there. He recommended the snow mode, which was the wrong mode. It takes away my throttle just as I am getting up an ascent! He saw what was happening and told me to try normal mode. I should have been in mud and ruts, but I wasn't. I do have the locking rear diff. I noticed that the rear diff locks when I turn off the DSC, but the land rover guy said to keep that on. I should have tried with that off also.

The HDC is unbelievable. There was this one steep snow and ice ascent that I was trying to get up. Took me 4 tries, and each time I had to back down. HDC workd awesome in reverse! This Disco2 behind me had to back down too, but he ended up locking his brakes and sliding into the brush!

My stock tires were out of their element in that environment. I am not too excited about bashing up my 19" rims either. Aside from not having the diesel option here (big dissapointment) we don't have access to your 17" rims either through Land Rover. I am going to get a set on eBay once I find the rubber to match.
 LR3 HSE
http://www.pbase.com/jzk/lr3 

Post #149115th Mar 2005 4:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
freeflytim

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

Damn that looks fun.

-TIM
Tennessee USA

jzk wrote:
I took the LR3 offroading for the first time Saturday:

http://www.pbase.com/jzk/land_rover_lake_geneva_march_05

Post #150516th Mar 2005 1:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >