Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Off Roading
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Teessidelad22

Off Roading

hi anybody from the north east ?
anybody done any offroading in there disco 3 yet? any pics ?
 TDV6 7 seat
Black
Side Steps
Tinted Glass 

Post #211411th Apr 2005 10:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jzk

United States 

How about the midwest?

http://www.pbase.com/jzk/land_rover_lake_g...p;page=all
 LR3 HSE
http://www.pbase.com/jzk/lr3 

Post #211912th Apr 2005 2:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Big Al

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Jzk,

Great photos, and so good to see the D3 is such good company also. How did it fair with all the other off-roaders? and what were the other vehicles drivers comments on the D3?

It is rare to see such a mix of off-roaders so would be great to hear your comments, especially when there were hummers, D2s, Cayanne and RRs all on the same course.

Excellent photography too.

Smile

Post #212212th Apr 2005 8:02 am
jzk

United States 

I am no expert. I felt severely handicapped with my tires. It was snow and ice. But, it was no different for anyone there with street tires like that black RR and a silver Discovery.

There is quite a bit to learn with the LR3. There was a Land Rover rep present, and he told me to try the rain and snow mode. That was the wrong mode. It might be the right mode for driving on the road in rain or snow, but it is not right for trying to make a climb. I would get almost to the top of a hill, and the computer would take away all my power! It is trying to remove power from the spinning wheels, and when they are all spinning, it takes it away alltogether. The Porsche had the same issue but even more so with his traction control. As soon as he turned it off, he climbed right up. Mud and Rutts is probably the way to go in that situation, but I finally made it up in normal mode.

I also found the HDC to be unbelievably awesome. In the obvious situation, driving down hill, it worked fantastic.

But it also did wonders in a situation I would have not thought of - backing down a hill. On one of the hills, I had to try to get up it 3 times. It was nerve racking backing down for fear of locking up the wheels, and the trail turned right at the bottom, so I feared sliding right into the forest. In fact, that guy in the Silver Discovery locked his up in reverse and slid right into the trees. Brush mostly, so all was well, but that was just random chance. For me however, I just took my foot off the brake and glided down backwards with the LR3 doing its thing. Kind of noisy and some of the noises seemed a little weird (grinding and such) but they said that is how it is supposed to be.

When the black H1 pulled up in the beginning, everyone was telling him that he would have trouble with the width of the trails. He was concerned about scratching up his vehicle, as I was mine.

But let me say, I didn't see him have trouble with anything. He seemed to eat up anything that came his way. I saw him "stuck" in that puddle that he broke through. He merely backed up, then crawled right out. I was impressed. Very impressed. There is a sequence of photos that show this. At first he is just sitting there spinning. Look at when he puts on his backup lights. Then drives right out.

There was one climb that had a very steep approach angle. I definitely bottomed the front and rear bumper a few times. And I had so much mud and rocks smashed under the vehicle. You should have seen how many large rocks were on the floor of the car wash when I was finished power washing the bottom.

On that climb, I tried 4 times, but couldn't quite get over the top. There is a photo of a white RR doing it. After I threw in the towel, I backed down and got out of the LR3 to photo the RR. I saw the LR3 with the left rear corner sagging down like a wet noodle! I got back in the truck, and it said "suspension fault." I turned it off and on, and all was well. That back corner pumped itself back up, but I had a sick feeling for a second there.

The weekend before last, I took my family off roading at the Ocala National Forest. It was very awesome. Lots of sand trails with big puddles. Like driving through the jungle. Photos will follow. This weekend we are going with the Chicago Land Rover club to the North Woods of Wisconsin to do the "pipeline" trail.

That first time, there was so much going on that I didn't pay close attention to the diffrential locks to see how they were working. This weekend, I will pay closer attention to that.
 LR3 HSE

Post #215112th Apr 2005 3:20 pm
Wineman

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

JZK- Did you try turning of the DSC(Dynamic Stablisty Control)? I have read other posts and also the Users Manual were they say that in situations were all wheels are spining turning of DSC can help. I am awaiting my D3, so have no first hand experience, but it it worth a try.

As I understand it, the DSC tries to stop wheel spin and also controls the power to each wheel. Overriding this system in situations like you describe should be adventagious, I think.
 2017 Disco5 First Edition(On Order)
2013 Disco4 HSE Luxury
2012 Disco4 HSE
2005 Disco03 TDV6 HSE
2002 Disco02 TD5 ES
1987 Defender 90(MOD)
2002 Fendt 180 Tractor
1950 Massey Ferguson Tractor 

Post #215412th Apr 2005 3:40 pm
jzk

United States 

"As I understand it, the DSC tries to stop wheel spin and also controls the power to each wheel. Overriding this system in situations like you describe should be adventagious."

In between an attempt on the hill, I asked the Land Rover guy if I should try turning it off, and he said no. Based on his advice, I switched to normal mode and made it up. I am not sure I made it up because of the mode, or because I might have just simply throttled up earlier in the climb to gain some momentum.

The D2 behind me had a tougher time at it, and when backing down locked up his wheels and slid into the brush. I used my hdc in reverse, and it worked wonderfully.
 LR3 HSE

Post #215512th Apr 2005 3:43 pm
Big Al

Jzk,

When I've taken me D3 off-road turning DSC off is a definate advantage, and I cant understand why it is not switched off when any of the Terrain Response programmes are activiated. Even selecting between them, you need to keep selecting DSC off, as it re-enables!!

I've tried a few very deep and muddly "puddles" and hill climbs, not so severe as those which you had, but turning DSC helps the D3 maintain a better composure and never do you need to try twice. The LR guy at your event obviously hasn't been in a D3 off-road, as using TR without DSC is a distint disadvantage and power is transmitted all over, than where it's really required.

Try with and without DSC turned off, and will find the D3 makes off-roading considerably easier with DSC off.

Have fun.

Smile

Post #215812th Apr 2005 4:34 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

When off road you should disable the DSC. This system will turn off the power to avoid a slide and rob you of any pulling power up hills.

The LR Experience instructor did the following to 'configure' the car :

1. Select Mud & Ruts
2. Select Low Ratio
3. Raise Suspension (if you do this before selecting Low Ratio then the speed sensing auto lowering is retarded fro longer)
4. Turn off DSC
5. Turn off parking sensors - apparently these go crazy as they detect the ruts and sides of the track

DSC is designed to keep you on the road (tarmac) and will kill engine power when you need it to power up a slope.

-s

Post #215912th Apr 2005 4:38 pm
Big Al

Yep I agree with that and forgot to mention the delightful parking sensors whihc spend most of their time chirping when off road. You would have thought it would be possible that LR could devise an interlock to disable them when off-road modes are active.

Smile

Post #216212th Apr 2005 4:43 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Parking sensors would be useful though if having to turn in a tight spot though.

Maybe auto off and manual back on rather than manual off and manual back on ?

-s

Post #216312th Apr 2005 4:46 pm
Pelyma

England 

DSC is a pain in the proverbial in any slippery situation, I always turn it off as a matter of practise. If you change TR programs it comes back on though.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #217212th Apr 2005 5:56 pm
jzk

United States 

"DSC is designed to keep you on the road (tarmac) and will kill engine power when you need it to power up a slope."

That makes quite a bit of sense, and this weekend, I will be turning DSC off.
 LR3 HSE

Post #217912th Apr 2005 9:04 pm
Wineman

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

JZK- give us a report after your weekend on whether turning off DSC makes the difference!
2013 Disco4 HSE Luxury
2012 Disco4 HSE
2005 Disco03 TDV6 HSE
2002 Disco02 TD5 ES
1987 Defender 90(MOD)
2002 Fendt 180 Tractor

Post #218112th Apr 2005 9:47 pm
jzk

United States 

Offroading at Ocala National Forest:

http://www.pbase.com/jzk/ocala_national_forest&page=all

We stopped by Ocala on the way home from Florida and basically just did random trails as we found them. The Forest is filled with them. Some tight spaces and lot's of fun. Dozens of remote lakes. It felt like we left civilization and were driving through the jungle.
 LR3 HSE

Post #218312th Apr 2005 10:12 pm
Wineman

Wow! Some fantastic pictures John! Looks beautiful. What was the massive motor home shown trailering your Disco? Huge!
2013 Disco4 HSE Luxury
2012 Disco4 HSE
2005 Disco03 TDV6 HSE
2002 Disco02 TD5 ES
1987 Defender 90(MOD)
2002 Fendt 180 Tractor

Post #219713th Apr 2005 8:15 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to: