DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Off topic
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
kenso

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Off topic

Gudday all

Looking at getting a next G phone primarly to internet connect my notebook?, I currently have a extended antenna on my offroad van that was set up with CDMA, I want to change it to Next G, so I went to see the telstra shop and the bloke there said that I can just swap the CDMA Hands free kit for a LG phone & hands free kit, all good. But as I want to plug my notebook into the phone I have to remove the phone from the cradle, and as such the extended arial will no longer be connected, so in the bush my range may be crap, does anyone know if there is any mobile phone on the market that will be able to do both?. (i.e two data ports) Notebook with phone and extended arial conected? hope this makes sense!

Cheers,

Kenso

Post #12986114th Feb 2007 8:46 am
300+

I would get a phone with bluetooth and use that to connect to your laptop. That way you can sit in comfort and leave the phone in the cradle in the car.

You can get USB bluetooth adapters for not much $$ if your laptop doesn't currently have it.

Cheers, Steve

Post #12989114th Feb 2007 11:28 am
300+

Or you could get a next G data card for your laptop and use an external antenna. I've just got the vodafone version as the data rates are lower than I could get with a phone contract (no it doesn't make sense). For my use it works out cheaper to have two contracts for service than to get it all in one.

Vodafone probably won't have the coverage you need, but it suits me.

Steve

Post #12989314th Feb 2007 11:30 am
TDV6

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Next month we are starting our trip around the big island, we want VOIP to talk to the kids via SKYPE while we are away, so Next G looks the go.

After looking at all the options, I decided to keep my CDMA phone just for phone calls and buy outright a Telstra Next G, USB mobile card/stick for my pc which will sit in the caravan.

I got the USB because I dont want to use a power point for the modem and I can use a USB extender cable to site the modem two meters (USB will accept a five meter extension) from the pc. I have also ordered an extension aerial which is also two meters long, which I plan to sit on top of the caravan.

I'm taking the pc because I hate laptops and can use the LCD TV as a monitor, If the hard drive dies, its only $100 to get a new one and my time reinstalling software.

TDV6

Post #13007615th Feb 2007 9:38 am
away

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: Off topic

kenso wrote:
Gudday all

Looking at getting a next G phone primarly to internet connect my notebook?, I currently have a extended antenna on my offroad van that was set up with CDMA, I want to change it to Next G, so I went to see the telstra shop and the bloke there said that I can just swap the CDMA Hands free kit for a LG phone & hands free kit, all good. But as I want to plug my notebook into the phone I have to remove the phone from the cradle, and as such the extended arial will no longer be connected, so in the bush my range may be crap, does anyone know if there is any mobile phone on the market that will be able to do both?. (i.e two data ports) Notebook with phone and extended arial conected? hope this makes sense!

Cheers,

Kenso

G'day Kenso,

I just went through this exercise. I got one of them I-mate JAS/JAM phones but any phone with bluetooth will do. You can then leave the phone hooked to the antenna and use bluetooth to communicate between the phone and the laptop. My PC doesn't have built-in bluetooth so I got a cheap ($65.00) USB adapter. It worked a treat and I was able to keep my old CDMA antenna.

I have tested it on a video call via Skype and it worked very well. I can hook up to my server while away as well. Mind you, the phone itself is a piece of excreta. It locks up a-la Windows '98 (memories, memories) and unless you are actually watching it, you don't know it's happened - and after it's locked up, you don't receive calls. I guess it will be going back for repairs.
 D4: Expedition Rack, 104 Litre Long Range Tank, Raised Air Intake
D3: Every bloomin' thing but the kitchen sink 

Post #13008415th Feb 2007 10:02 am
4 Quarters

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

HI All,

just noticed this post, i have a mobile phone dealership. If any one is interested in next G info please pm me and i can call you for a heads up.

Thanks

Murat

p.s. i hope this is not considered advertising? can anyone let me know.
 The Harder i work, the luckier i get!  
Post #13124019th Feb 2007 11:40 am
White Disco

Australia 

Murat,
Great timing. I don't care if it's an ad. I need a new phone & provider but want to keep old number. Am interested in Telstra ''NextG & Nokia.
Cheers,
David. Very Happy
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #13139919th Feb 2007 9:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

David,

Murat may have better info (?) but my mate, who owns the Telstra shop here in town, says Nokia will not have 3G phones until September.

AWAY - I also have a jasjam phone/thingi . I agree, it is generally CRAP as a phone. However, as I'm on the road a lot, I find the other bits (sync facility, push mail, etc) useful, and now tend to get more email than phone calls (i.e. from staff, etc). I have also heard that they are releasing a patch to stop the drop outs, sometime soon. Anyway, my question is, do you have a cradle for the car? The bluetooth PTI in the car works OK, but I have never really been a bluetooth fan.

regards,
 Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #13773211th Mar 2007 2:37 am
Jamo

Australia 

Funny that! Because I've got a vodafone 3G phone sitting on my desk!
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #13773911th Mar 2007 7:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
away

TDMP wrote:
David,

Murat may have better info (?) but my mate, who owns the Telstra shop here in town, says Nokia will not have 3G phones until September.

AWAY - I also have a jasjam phone/thingi . I agree, it is generally CRAP as a phone. However, as I'm on the road a lot, I find the other bits (sync facility, push mail, etc) useful, and now tend to get more email than phone calls (i.e. from staff, etc). I have also heard that they are releasing a patch to stop the drop outs, sometime soon. Anyway, my question is, do you have a cradle for the car? The bluetooth PTI in the car works OK, but I have never really been a bluetooth fan.

regards,

Nah, we just rest the phone in the console. I didn't get the bluetooth built into the vehicle. I couldn't justify the expense. (Used the money that would have gone on it to buy a long-range tank and rear wheel carrier.) Both myself and the missus have got bluetooth earpieces and they work fine for voice calls. The bluetooth in the laptop takes care of e-mail and web access. So far the technology hasn't let me down, but the phone has. Since my last post I was forced to take it back and they sent it for repairs - 3 1/2 weeks ago!

Post #13775311th Mar 2007 9:52 am
away

Jamo wrote:

There is a difference between 3G and NextG. They are not compatible. Only Telstra has rolled out a NextG network so far. Hence the crap pricing for plans - both voice and data.

Post #13775411th Mar 2007 9:55 am
Jamo

Australia 

I will get a separate connection for my laptop. I'll stick with vodafone, the global roaming is superior to the others.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #13778011th Mar 2007 1:35 pm
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

away wrote:
Jamo wrote:

There is a difference between 3G and NextG. Only Telstra has rolled out a NextG ...

I stand corrected - Nokia do have 3G, but do not have NextG, phones. I am told (by Telstra) that I need nextG because I am in a "remote coverage area", and used to rely upon the CDMA network.
 Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #13789111th Mar 2007 11:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >