Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

Offroad jack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Andrew van den Heever

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Offroad jack

Can anyone advise me as to the best jack to carry for offroad use?
I have read extensively on this site about how Censored the standard jack is, but there is never a useful alternative given. Most of the UK guys use trolley jacks or hydraulic jacks to change wheels from road to offroad etc, but what about when you lose a tyre in the bush, or in the mud where the standard jack will be no good? Big Cry
Obviously an airjack would be fine but are there any other useful suggestions?

Post #18789010th Aug 2007 2:26 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Unless you have some extra jacking points installed ( or on a rear bar and bull bar) an air jack is the way to go.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #18803111th Aug 2007 2:27 am
Andrew van den Heever

Thanks caverD3.
Is there any issue about the air jack damaging the compressor or other components when inflating?

Post #18804211th Aug 2007 8:10 am
caverD3

I suppose it would be possible for the air jack to damage components such as the compressor but an air jack didtributes the load and I have not heard of an issue from a jack.
Others maknow more though, as I have not used mine often.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #18805311th Aug 2007 9:31 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Andrew, I have the Takla and the Front Runner airjacks, which I have used 4 or 5 times (in practice and for changing sets of wheels).
You have to be careful where you place the jack, but I have jacked under the compressor cover before with no consequences that I know of. If you spread the load over such a large area, it's not putting more than a couple hundred kilos on that small area.
The biggest issue with the airjack is getting bungs to fit the dual exhaust. Takla do provide these if you mention you have a D3.

Post #18872713th Aug 2007 11:22 am
caverD3

Don't know if you can get one in SA?
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic7401.html
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #18874113th Aug 2007 11:51 am
Andrew van den Heever

Thanks Baben. I appreciate your input. I take it you prefer the Takla jack then?

Post #18875913th Aug 2007 12:42 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

THey're pretty much even, but the FR jack is rectangular, which makes it easier to spread the load along the chassis front to rear. The FR also comes standard in a carry bag, and the Takla doesn't. Plus it looks like it bends a bit less than the takla, but I have never used them together, so I couldn't say one was a huge improvement over the other really. Price on the FR one is slightly better.

Oh, bungs, yes caverD3, thanks for the reminder. The guys at plumbing trade supplies in Midrand promised to get a couple in for me. Will check up later on. Apparently they could get a 45mm or close.

Post #18878013th Aug 2007 1:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >