Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

OH NO! Look at the spare wheel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
BN

England 

Slimer wrote:
The handbook does recommend putting the spare in the back for off roading.
It was a lucky coincidence that I'd given CC that wheel in the morning so he had an extra one in the back Very Happy

I just have this feeling that CC is having a little bad luck with off roading Sad .

He has taken his D3 swimming, jambed it between rocks and had a tyre blowout. I make that a bit of bad luck, but he still keeps smiling and coming back for more with Expresso by his side, what a guy Very Happy Thats what I call spirit Very Happy Very Happy Thumbs Up

Oh and his car sinks every night onto the suspension stops due to a leak, but he never moans Bow down Bow down

Post #2548231st Oct 2005 6:52 pm
Nomad

For those of you who are worried about insurance problems if you moved the tire to the back door, your perfect responce to that is Land Rover obviously does not use it as an impact absorbant since in the manual it recomends removing it when off roading. I'm doing it guys.

Nomad

Post #2548431st Oct 2005 7:03 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I'd like the rear carrier for my second spare when off roading but we need to find out who's making them and how stable they are. They might be fine for on road use but are they solid enough for bumping around off road without falling off or moving around and taking chunks out of the tailgate?
 The End  
Post #2548531st Oct 2005 7:07 pm
BN

England 

Nomad wrote:
For those of you who are worried about insurance problems if you moved the tire to the back door, your perfect responce to that is Land Rover obviously does not use it as an impact absorbant since in the manual it recomends removing it when off roading. I'm doing it guys.

Nomad

Bit of difference with off roading and on roading re impact protection Nomad. A little unlikely that anyone will run into you at 60MPH off roading, very likely on road.

Post #2548831st Oct 2005 7:25 pm
nobbyclark

From reading this link it appears that it is possible to have a spare on the rear of a D3, even if the pics in the first post are potentially Photoshopped. I didn't think this was even an option, due to the fold down nature of the split tailgate. Does anyone know of a company that actually provides something for mounting the spare on the rear? I would be interested, purely for putting a bike rack on, as the spare wheel is what I currently use on my TDi 300 for transporting the family's bikes hither and thither. Having said that, the spare on my TDi is bolted on through the door and I imagine any aftermarket device would be less securely fixed and wouldn't cope with 2 adult and 2 kiddie bikes.

Post #256451st Nov 2005 2:22 pm
PJ

England 

From the pics nobbyclark you can see it is mounted on a separate swing bracket & not directly to the tailgate, therefore will not effect the drop down tailgate but how it is mounted I don't know. Look at the other picture on the original link.
 TDV6 2004 Auto Zambezi Silver Badged SE not quite an S with Nav & Rear DVD  
Post #256851st Nov 2005 6:01 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Mounted like on the Merc ML and Toerag... 3rd party job and probably not too handy when out shopping and in the multi story Wink

Post #256901st Nov 2005 6:06 pm
PJ

England 

Simon, looks like we are all adrift with the time, just noticed Martins message, have now fixed.
 TDV6 2004 Auto Zambezi Silver Badged SE not quite an S with Nav & Rear DVD  
Post #257001st Nov 2005 6:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >