Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Oh. oh.. 33" x 12.50 Nitto Mud Grapplers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
roveribis

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3
Oh. oh.. 33" x 12.50 Nitto Mud Grapplers

I spend too much time in mud! NEED more traction, So... I went for it... Whistle

Of course, there have been some modifications.
The rims are redbourne 18"x8", but their offset I think is for RR, so it moved the tire out like 1".
I installed toddco spacers, so the bottoming out height changes and the wheel will not come in as much into the well...
We cut back a part of the chassis that protrudes...
Have the ARB front bumper....
Will have to modify the plastic well covers...

And we'll see what else will be needed.... Question

More pics in my gallery.
 -------------------
2008 LR3
ARB bumper, winch, sealed Snorkle, dual battery, Rover Specialties sliders, whole car custom skid plates, 33" tires, ARB air compressor, CB radio, etc... 

Post #68459321st Aug 2010 12:38 am
Govette

Australia 

Hey buddy,
Great work fitting the 33"s. I'm hoping to do the same with my RRS, so that I can get the MT MTZs on it. I too have the Toddco spacers etc. Currently the hold up is getting a set of 18" rims that will fit over the bloody brembo brakes. There's a guy here is Oz in the process (slowly) of making some, and as part of that, I should be able to tell him what offset I require. Is there any chance that once you have your setup right, you could let me know what mods were required, and what offset the wheels have? The standard offset for the RRS (and I'm guessing the D4 is the same?) is 53mm, and under Oz law I can vary that by upto 12.5mm. I'm really hoping your wheels have an offset of about that, ie 40.5mm. Any assistance you can provide would be much appreciated. Again, well done on the mods, lookforward to seeing it getting muddy again.
Cheers
Gov

Post #68459821st Aug 2010 6:06 am
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Govette,
I think that you are being a little unfair to the person trying to organise the 18"rims. The delay is purely due to there being insufficient interest for a special run.
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #68460121st Aug 2010 7:15 am
roveribis

Hi Govette,

The redbourne wheels I have are 18"x9" with a 32mm offset. This moved the wheel out 21mm (.82 inches). Now, the original wheel was 8", so I would need to substract the extra .5" of the redbourne. This gives me a .32inces more distance of the inner wheel lip to the car... Does not sound like much, but gave me the space to move to the 12.50 wide tires!

I'm not familiar with the RRS suspension/chassis setup. It must be different than the D3?. Any little change, makes a huge difference. Have you checked how much clearance you have between the upper wishbone and the current tire?

For my 33", I also had to cut some sheet metal in the rear wheel well, and will probably have to do something with the plastic covers so they don't rub. I will post pics of all the changes as I go through it....
 -------------------
2008 LR3
ARB bumper, winch, sealed Snorkle, dual battery, Rover Specialties sliders, whole car custom skid plates, 33" tires, ARB air compressor, CB radio, etc... 

Post #68466021st Aug 2010 1:20 pm
CMG

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Wow...can't wait to see pics! Twisted Evil Thumbs Up
 17 Discovery 5 HSE Si6, Fuji White on brown | 07 LR3 SE 4.4 Java Black on Alpaca
Club V8/Club OCD

Post #68514523rd Aug 2010 12:06 pm
Disco4SE

2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Govette wrote:
Hey buddy,
Great work fitting the 33"s. I'm hoping to do the same with my RRS, so that I can get the MT MTZs on it. I too have the Toddco spacers etc. Currently the hold up is getting a set of 18" rims that will fit over the bloody brembo brakes. There's a guy here is Oz in the process (slowly) of making some, and as part of that, I should be able to tell him what offset I require. Is there any chance that once you have your setup right, you could let me know what mods were required, and what offset the wheels have? The standard offset for the RRS (and I'm guessing the D4 is the same?) is 53mm, and under Oz law I can vary that by upto 12.5mm. I'm really hoping your wheels have an offset of about that, ie 40.5mm. Any assistance you can provide would be much appreciated. Again, well done on the mods, lookforward to seeing it getting muddy again.
Cheers
Gov

Hi Gov, Gordon from the great land of Oz has been trying hard to get the 18" rims from GMAX. They have been stuffing him around. However, he is hoping to receive a sample this week.
Looking forward to getting mine. I will be ordering the Cooper LTZ's straight away.
Cheers, Craig

Post #68517023rd Aug 2010 12:56 pm
Govette

Australia 

Hey Bushwanderer,

No unfairness meant in relation to the rims, I think the guy is doing a great job. (Especially as he seems to be the only one trying at the moment.) I think we may be talking about two different businesses though, as this guys issue has nothing to do with lack of interest. He is waiting on an overseas supplier for the centers, as there isn't a press in australia able to press out the required thickness.

Roveribis,
Thanks very much for the info, I think the offset is gonna end up being too much for the legality here in Oz, but will have another look. The RRS I think must be closer to the D4 than the D3. This is purely a guess though, based on reports of people putting 33" on D3s and only having to trim plastic etc, whereas the first thing that 33"s would foul on on the RRS would be a forward part of the frame, close to the body mount behind the front wheel arch, (the bit you grinded off I'm guessing?) Thanks heaps for the advice mate, and again, great work.

Cheers

Post #68537423rd Aug 2010 9:40 pm
Govette

Australia 

Hey Craig,
Thanks for the info mate. If you (and Gordon) are interested, and are getting dicked about by GMAX, the guy that I've been talking to is Ron from Eastern Wheel Works in Melbourne. He is fantastic, and as far as I am aware, he has prototypes finished, and is now just waiting on the overseas supplier to ship him the centers. Worth a call to him if you are interested, as I'm assuming there is a lot of interest (landcruiser has same issue apparantly) so I'm guessing there will be a waiting list!!!
Cheers

Post #68537723rd Aug 2010 9:46 pm
Disco4SE

2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Govette wrote:
Hey Craig,
Thanks for the info mate. If you (and Gordon) are interested, and are getting dicked about by GMAX, the guy that I've been talking to is Ron from Eastern Wheel Works in Melbourne. He is fantastic, and as far as I am aware, he has prototypes finished, and is now just waiting on the overseas supplier to ship him the centers. Worth a call to him if you are interested, as I'm assuming there is a lot of interest (landcruiser has same issue apparantly) so I'm guessing there will be a waiting list!!!
Cheers

Thanks Gov, I might give Ron a ring and let him know I am interested.
Cheers, Craig

Post #68539523rd Aug 2010 10:26 pm
disco4x4au

Australia 

Govette wrote:
Hey Craig,
Cheers

I have a set of the Eastern Works 18" outers - I spent a week in Melbourne in Feb with the guys there. I had the centres pressed locally and they wouldn't fit the 3.0 ltr TDV6. The offset required was illegal. So make sure he has actually fitted them to a D4/RRS 3.0 ltr before you buy. They are also a very heavy rim, so be careful loading them up with mud tyres - your CV joints may complain.

On another note, I don't know anyone who's fitted 33" tyres to a std D3? 31.6" seems to be the limit. I tried 32.5" Super Swampers and they wouldn't fit without shortened HS rods. On a D4 you'd have to drastically modify the chassis protrusions and probably do some sheet metal work around the rear doors. Illegal rim offsets would be the last of your problems!

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #68542624th Aug 2010 1:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
roveribis

Almost done with the install. I had planned (and made the preparations) for the 33" to fit. The problem I'm having is that I originally had planned for a 11.5" width, later I changed tire makes/model and did not notice that I was going to get a 12.5".

I can now confirm that this really makes a difference.... At full turn the front tires are now rubbing with the Rovertym sliders and the windshield washer reservoir (I have the ARB bumper, a must for this).

Today I made some adapters to move the reservoir 1" deeper (into the ARB) and higher.

Next will be making some modifications to the sliders (good thing we have a plasma cutter, welder, etc...)....

The last issue will be fitting the plastic well covers. I'm sure I will have to do some modifications here.... But one thing at a time.

The truck looks so awsome, its worth it! Now the wife wants it for her... (with the request to leave the 2nd spare in the rack, she loves the look)...

I will post pics in a couple of days...
 -------------------
2008 LR3

Post #68542724th Aug 2010 1:29 am
disco4x4au

Australia 

roveribis wrote:

Today I made some adapters to move the reservoir 1" deeper (into the ARB) and higher.

You can refit the reservoir in front of the battery - the existing pipework will reach.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #68543124th Aug 2010 5:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Govette

Australia 

Also have a good look at making sure they don't foul on the wiring bundle that runs along the outside top edge of the left hand chassis rail in front wheel arch. On full lock you may find that with articulation the side biters grab it. That bundle contains the data bus so if you cut that, the thing will probably stop! Maybe bend up a quick plate as a guard for it.
Cheers
Gov

Post #68545924th Aug 2010 9:02 am
Govette

Australia 

Hey Gordon,

With the Eastern Rim, how much weight was in the rim outer, and how much was due to the center you made up? I'd still prefer steel, but not if I'm gonna start breaking halfshafts or CVs every 10 minutes.
How's the development going with the GMAX alloys?
Cheers
Gov

Post #68546124th Aug 2010 9:07 am
roveribis

disco4x4au: That would work, but I'm using that space for the winch control box....

Govette: Thanks for the heads up. That is one of the reasons I installed the toddco spacers, by pushing the bags down 2", the bump stops would also move down, so holding back the tire from entering into the wheel arch. We'll see, at least it's the 'plan'.
I will loose some overall travel, but did not want to damage the body...
 -------------------
2008 LR3

Post #68549524th Aug 2010 10:44 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >