Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

My beloved D3 becoming more "trying" than ever . . . . .
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
kengogrrr

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
My beloved D3 becoming more "trying" than ever . . . . .

Hello all, been an off and on poster here for years since Aquiring my '05 discovery3
The advice and experiences given/shared on here have been priceless as attempting to run said vehicle on a very limited budget is at best a challenge!

Tp date had most of the tech issues on here most fixed effectively some I've learned to live with as we love the comfort and versatility of this big Tonka toy

Driving recently the flattish spot I've been living with I'd assumed might be turbo actuator needing a fiddle and lube (car not getting regular long distance drives or being driven hard) but before I've had a chance to tinker local garage said they'd look and are actually diagnosing a failed turbo!

Still reeling from shock of that (realising cost implications whether worth repairing etc) I visited friend and on leaving to return home found key fob would not unlock vehicle

No problem, remembering advice on here went straight to passenger door took off lock cover inserted key and gently turning against stiffness, key started to rotate, fully.(cue loud scream)

Soooooooo with no remote access no get out of jail key access I called AA

Half an hour later very polite AA guy informed me as car was deadlocked there was nothing he could do to gain access other than breaking glass! (He agreed car had power and thought key fob was emitting a signal but couldn't be sure)

Shan't bore you with my response sufficeth to say he initiated the recovery of car to my home address rather than breaking window (wild night torrential rain)

Since then sent off key fob for new rebuild & battery 48 turnaround which arrived this morning

You've guessed it no response, car still locked securly ggggrrrr!!!

I've read lots of postings regarding this issue (cable splicing issues receiver problems etc) but I'm basically just wondering if there is ANY way I can gain access to the vehicle before breaking a window?

At least then I could use car locally, and replace passenger side door lock whilst investigating central locking issues

Any and all advice greatfully appreciated.

Cheers Ken

ps on a lighter note saw posting re double bed in back, here swmbo who had previously refused any camping type trips loves fact double airbed fully fits back (rest of kit in roofbox ) and we've thorough;ly enjoyed reaching some amazing remote locations round Scotland spending the evening under the stars and waking up to some fabulous views with tailgate dropped/up whilst having breakfast in bed!

Post #207134826th Jul 2019 12:25 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Try wd40 the key barrel.

Don’t bother replacing the turbo!
Check the rod yourself and if stiff add Wynn’s vvt cleaner purple bottle to fuel tank

Post #207146826th Jul 2019 8:39 pm
Pete K

May help with remote issue?

https://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic54399.html

Post #207147026th Jul 2019 8:56 pm
kengogrrr

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Pete

thank you for taking the time to post replies to my recent posting, it's mich appreciated!

Unfortunately tried the get out of jail passenger door lock where I discovered the lock /barrel goosed i.e. the key simply spins in the lock.

Repaired/battery replaced key fob arrived back quickly but still failed to open car.

To date have used a garage supplied car entry kit comprising lots of lemgths of wire and a tiny airbag

Tried and managed to open top of passenger door emough to reach in with a long cane and attempt to push the central door locking button on dash but cannot push it with enough force to engage switch
So still locked out of vehicle!!

Pricing a drivers side window on wBay as I type as feeling brealing glass going to be only solution

Thanks again!

Post #207233930th Jul 2019 3:37 pm
Asa

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have often camped in the Disco with a double airbed as you suggest but have placed a tarpaulin suitably pegged down over the car at the rear with the tailgate clear, to keep the light out.

Be careful you may oversleep! Its great.

Post #207234030th Jul 2019 3:44 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Breaking glass, no chance. Shocked

Keep at it, you'll sort it out. I think the garden cane pressing the dash button is probably your best option. Try the same thing on a rear window and a longer cane so you can get the purchase/angle to apply more pressure. Thumbs Up

The problem will be the green wire splice in the passenger door cable gulley. However, have you tried sticking 12v in through the tow socket to make sure the car has power?
If your alternator had failed and dead shorted the battery, there might not be enough power to run anything at present. Might be worth a go.
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #207234330th Jul 2019 3:49 pm
Pete K

1) It's possible the dash button may not work when the car is locked. Maybe someone could try for you. (away from mine)

2) Do you just press the lock button on key once? if yes it will be deadlocked.

3) you could measure power on the white towbar socket between pins 3 & 4, see if you have 12v

Post #207236930th Jul 2019 5:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >