DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Oil Pump indication
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Vinay Subbaram

Kenya 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Oil Pump indication

Hello all,
I am relatively new member and residing in Nairobi, Kenya. I own a 2006 Disco 3 TDV6 SE. It has milage of about 107k miles.
Since 3 weeks it is in garage with issues following one after other. Coming to point, off late Oil Pressure indication is glowing. I have changed oil pump - as in this market it is hard and too expensive to get a brand new ones, I have been using used ones that are sold by credible spare vendors for LR.
Despite having changed it with 3 units, indication is still on. Have checked the sensor too, its working fine.
Yesterday engine stalled and had camshaft pulley groove broken, I replaced it. Today I even got a new timing belt kit and tensioner and replaced it.
Despite all that, oil pump indication is still glowing. Can anyone suggest what could be the reason? or it is time for me to look for engine replacement?
Thanks in advance.

Post #229162914th May 2022 3:14 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Are you saying the oil light is on all the time ?
or does it takes 5 seconds to go out after starting?

If staying on all the time, there can be a wiring fault inside the car, by A pillar that causes it to stay on.
Disconnect the oil pressure switch on the top of the engine. If the light comes on, its an electrical issue.

i would not be fitting a used oil pump from 2007-2008 car as these had a weak cambelt tensioner mounting point, and will destroy the engine. There is a later type with a brace. There are pictures on here to show the difference

Post #229163514th May 2022 4:14 pm
Vinay Subbaram

Thanks for your message, Pete.
It is staying beyond 5 seconds. But will inform my mechanic to try the way you have advised.
Noted on your comment about the used part - but unfortunately, that is what I can get in this market. But going by your comment, will see how I can have it imported from the UK itself. Thanks.

Post #229163914th May 2022 4:37 pm
Breg90

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

To be honest, in my opinion, the minute the oil pressure light comes on - the car should be stopped and turned off and not run until cause is investigated and rectified - unless the situation demands that you risk wreaking the engine (you are in danger).

And you sound like you might have moved on to new issues with the broken cam shaft sprocket. Would suggest that this may be related to oil pump changes as the timing belt has to come off to get to the oil pump. Did the mechanic re set the cam shaft timing with the correct tools? Not experienced the sprocket breakage myself, but I remember reading then this causes pistons to hit valves and engine damage. Wonder if you need a new more experience mechanic?

Random thoughts on oil pressure query:

1/. Correct oil grade? - Viscosity too low?

2/. Enough oil?

3/. Correctly fitted oil filter? The filter has a small ~6mm protrusion on the bottom that plugs a whole in the bottom of the oil filter housing - it allows the filter housing to drain down as you remove the filter. If the oil filter is put in incorrectly and the protrusion does not plug the hole, then you will have a direct route back to the sump from inside the filter housing. This would cause low oil pressure. On the newer version of the TDV6 engines (3.0) fitted to Ford F-150 pickups it seems a common problem - oil filter needs to be placed in the bottom housing, NOT the cap, to re fit. The USA mechanics have never come across this before. End result is incorrectly fitted oil filter and oil light on all the time.

Click image to enlarge

4/. Correct oil filter? If filter is too restrictive then the pump pressure relief valve will lift - too little oil will get past filter to engine = low oil pressure

5/. Worm oil pump? - Could have been, but are multiple pumps worn? Strip the 1st pump that you changed and see what the rotor to housing clearance is. This U tube video shows how it is done and tells you lots of info on the oil pump and oil system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6sRSSltG8I. If link does not work looks for 'LRTime' channel, video 'Land Rover Discovery - Epic Oil pump test and compare TDV6'.

Note that the latest oil pump from LR for the 2.7 TDV6 has a 13% higher capacity - it will help with oil pressure due to higher flow rate - but not make up for a worn engine!

4/. Worn engine? - may be. Debirs in oil - cut open the oil filter and look for shiny particles on the filter paper.

5/. Oil leak? - you are not reporting oil loss, but could be a leak in the oil cooler (water cooler cooler) -oil would appear in the coolant.

6/. Blocked oil cooler? It is before the oil filter in the flow path, so if you have or have had debris in the oil it could be restricting oil flow.

7/. Worn injectors - will give poor diesel atomization, some is left unburnt and passes the piston rings. Dilute engine oil causing drop in oil viscosity - causes low oil pressure over time as oil get diluted with diesel.

8/. Oil pump suction line mesh screen blocked - unlikely unless your engine has grenaded.

Personally I would:

a/. Remove current oil filter - check oil filter fitment and cut filter open and check for debris on filter element - will tell you if the main and big end bearings are disintegrating. Assuming all good fit a reputable oil filter the correct way as per the LR maintenance manual. You can find links to this on the forum.

b/. Check what oil was used last - if in doubt change for correct grade.

c/. Fit a pressure gauge in place of the oil pressure sensor (temporary)

d/. Test run engine for 5 min and check oil pressure is as per LR specification. There is a section in the LR workshop manual on testing the oil pressure.

See what you have. If pressure still low then engine is likely on way out.
 Series one 1949 - in bits, chassis is strapped to the ceiling in my garage (beside the canoe)
LR 90 - In bits
Disco 3 - currently in bits 

Post #229165514th May 2022 9:34 pm
Vinay Subbaram

Thanks for the detailed revert, much appreciated.

Post #229181716th May 2022 2:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >