Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

oil service question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
al cope

England 
oil service question

I know the D3 uses some stupidly thin oil, but how long after an oil change would you expect to see black as opposed to yellowy oil on the dipstick.

And - how easy is it to see the oil filter?

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #6324966th Apr 2010 3:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bigdave
Site Sponsor 

England 

Hi Al,

Mine is black as soon as the new stuff hits the sump.

Old depositis in the system turn it that way I believe.

TFC did an oil change for me last month and it was black straight away.

Nowt to worry about.

Thumbs Up
 All things shipping, storage, transport. UK and worldwide.

E-mail [email protected] 

Post #6325016th Apr 2010 4:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
al cope

England 

cheers Dave - just want to make sure dealer isnt scamming me, as I got a decent price for the service, just want to make sure it was decent because they left out a fundamental bit Thumbs Up

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #6325046th Apr 2010 4:10 pm
bigdave
Site Sponsor 

England 

Quick tip,

If I use a stealer for oil change I always put the oil cap on upside down.

Just to see if it comes back the correct way round....................... Thumbs Up

E-mail [email protected] 

Post #6325066th Apr 2010 4:13 pm
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

The oil filter is very easy to see once you've pulled off the plastic cover. Unfortunately, it's housed and is a filter element only rather than a can type. You'll need a large socket to remove (mid 20's ISTR - anyway, got the thing at Halfords). Being a suspicious cynic, I have thought about putting some sort of tell tale on the filter. I know for a fact and from experience that some dealers (VW in this case, not LR) don't change the oil. Unfortunately, and despite argument, I couldn't actually prove it.

I guess there's no way of telling with a diesel, sadly, since the oil changes colour so quickly.
 PAGODA  
Post #6325076th Apr 2010 4:14 pm
bigdave
Site Sponsor 

England 

My old BMW stealer was famous for that trick, so I got under the car, and dated the can filter.

Got a new one every time!!

E-mail [email protected] 

Post #6325106th Apr 2010 4:21 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I recently changed my oil myself and it only needs to be driven down the road for the new oil to look black enough to be confused as old (i.e. unchanged oil).

If you know your stuff though you could probably rub some between your fingers, hold them up to the light, suck in air between your teeth, and claim (in an experienced kind of way whilst nodding knowingly) that it is defintely new oil, but I'm not up to that level and it all looks the Censored same to me.

I think the oil filter housing needs a 32mm socket but could be wrong. Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #6325156th Apr 2010 4:30 pm
al cope

England 

Cheers Paul (from now on to be now as El Oil Afficianardo).

with this thin oil used (5w30 isnt it), its like water to start with, and I dont fancy tasting it Thumbs Up

Maybe I wont bend the service manager's ear too much when he phones me in the morning then.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #6325196th Apr 2010 4:36 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Yep I used Castrol Edge 5W30 and whilst it's pretty thin at room/garage temp (10-15°C a month ago), it's not that thin that it looks like water Shocked ..... unless they're using cold tea in yours? Very Happy

As Pagoda says, it's very easy to whip the housing off of the oil filter catridge and mark it with something, but to be honest it's so quick and cheap to swap over the filter I doubt that they would try and scam you.

To be honest it does take a bit of a leap of faith when you get the oil changed....the new oil (bearing in mind they should have done a quick test drive) will look as black as the old one, and the new filter is hidden away anyway.
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #6325216th Apr 2010 4:43 pm
al cope

England 

OK - I'll have to get off me soap box. Thumbs Up

Its just on my old D3, I'm sure (well now not so sure, its an age thing), that the first time I checked the oil the weekend after its service (and even later), the oil still had some yellowness,and some thickness to it.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #6325256th Apr 2010 4:47 pm
pagoda

FWIW, Al, the main thing I notice when I change the oil between services myself is the difference in the way the engine sounds - much smoother and quieter.

Or.....you could fit CCTV to the inside of the bonnet, and record the service procedure to ensure full satisfaction Very Happy

I'm sure it won't be long until someone with a D4 and a degree in advanced electronics works out how to make the multitude of cameras around the vehicles do more than originially designed...
 PAGODA  
Post #6325306th Apr 2010 4:53 pm
al cope

England 

Well on that point, it did sound quieter and smooth after picking it up, so I'll get back to taking the happy pills.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #6325326th Apr 2010 4:56 pm
BrumLee

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Most dealers use suction system that removes oil from the sump via dipstick tube. I don't agree with this method as it leaves stuff in the sump that you want rid of and that you want to see if anything is failing.
 Faultmate MSV2 EXTREME
FOXWELL N624 Elite
Hantek 1008c Oscilloscope 

Post #6325566th Apr 2010 5:31 pm
al cope

England 

so should I ask for my money back for the sump plug and gasket? Only joking Thumbs Up

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #6325656th Apr 2010 5:39 pm
pagoda

Has anyone asked them to change the oil via the sump plug? I don't like the idea of taking out the oil via the dip stick either. I wonder what LR stealers would say.
 PAGODA  
Post #6325716th Apr 2010 5:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >