Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

oil spec
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Gazzer

United Kingdom 

Filled in the Castrol 'what oil do I need for my actual car' using my reg. and it says the 0W30 Edge.....

Post #3994319th Jan 2009 3:13 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

This has been covered before see:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic17090-15.html

Interestingly Landrover now prefer to list the ford spec of WSS-M2C913-B 5w30 for 2008/09. (Although the basic spec hasn't really changed, & is essentially the same for all TDV6 models)

Castrol magnatec 5w30 A1, meets this spec & the previous spec. This is suitable for diesel. (see my previous post). & is a full synthetic.
Edge 0w30 is not recommended by Land Rover, only a 5w30.

Regards
Steve

Post #3995409th Jan 2009 6:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mikeyp

United Kingdom 

I have just come off the phone to Castrol Technical to get clarification on this as I need to get some oil for topping up between services.

Heres a summary of what I was told:

- WSS-M2C913-B 5w30 is a Ford oil spec that dates back to 1998, and is applied to a mass of other Ford cars such as Focus, Mondeo, Jaguars, Land Rovers etc.
- Magnatec 5W-30 A1 meets the spec., and is a fuel efficient oil. Fuel efficient oil becomes thinner at higher temperatures and leaves a thinner oil coating on metal components resulting in less friction, increasing fuel economy. Note: Using fuel efficient oils on engines not designed for this oil is a no-no as there wont be enough oil separating the metal bits.
- Magnatec is what is in the car from the factory.
- Edge Turbo Diesel 0W-30 exceeds the WSS-M2C913-B specification. However the technical data sheet does not state this.
- For top ups, just chuck Magnatec in (as thats whats in it from the factory) - topping up with a higher grade oil is pointless unless you have done a complete oil change and upgraded the oil.
- For oil changes, you have clearly have a choice - up to you. If you love your engine then Edge is what you should go for. If you want to stick with the min spec and as per what it comes with from the factory, then Magnatec it is.

From Halfords current prices are, Magnatec is £29.99, and Edge is £44.99 (4 litres)

I note with amusement, that despite the Land Rover tie up with Castrol, my local dealer (Charles Hurst, Park Royal) recommends Shell Helix, sold in 1 litre bottles at £11.16 a litre.

Last edited by mikeyp on 17th Jan 2010 10:23 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #58106614th Jan 2010 10:57 am
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

My local LR dealer uses "Mobil 1". I don't what what the spec for this oil is. Sad
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #58179115th Jan 2010 5:32 am
Phil1644

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Mobil do a 5W-30 ESP oil which meets the spec as layed out in my Nov05 TDV6 Handbook. I have the oil left over from a Passatt estate we used to own. I was therefore intending to use it sometime in my D3, although I currently have Magnatec 5W-30 in it ( I do my own servicing where possible). Interestingly, if you go on the Castrol web site it recommends Edge 0w-30 Turbo Diesel oil for the TDV6, with Magnatec 5W-30 as second choice. However Castrol do make an Edge 5W-30 suitable for diesels as it was the recommended oil for my Passat (diesel). For some reason then Castrol recommend a 0W-30 for the TDV6 although the handbook recommends 5W-30.

Post #58195515th Jan 2010 12:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >