Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Oil System Schematic
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Riccarton Disco

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Oil System Schematic

I'm spending far too much time reading on this forum .... but .... I now have a burning question - has anyone seen a schematic for the oil system on the TDV6??

Surely the filter is under pressure (after the pump) and not under vacuum (before the filter)???

Which then brings me to a 2nd thought .... why is there such need to stick to the original 5W30 oil grade even for high mileage engines?? I get the 5W bit but .... a higher mileage engine will have greater clearances and therefore develop lower oil pressure. An oil which retains a higher viscosity at running temperature will surely help to counteract those greater clearances and therefore prolong it's life??

Like I say - spending way too much time reading!! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #208677124th Sep 2019 10:07 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Pickup pipe
Pump
Filter

Post #208678824th Sep 2019 10:48 pm
KostasA

Greece 

i do run on 5w-40w. here in Nairobi the 5-30 is very hard to find and car has been running on 5-40 since day one. now it is on 56k miles.

Post #208681325th Sep 2019 7:10 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Quite a few people run on 5/40, I have even bought some ready for my next change.
One guy reckons the engine does sound much nicer on 5/40.

If you contact Gstuart on here, im sure he has got the diagram you require.

Post #208681525th Sep 2019 7:13 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

Does this help

Oil is drawn from the reservoir in the oil pan and pressurised by the oil pump. The output from the oil pump is then filtered and distributed through internal oil passageways.

All moving parts are lubricated by pressure or splash oil. Pressurised oil is also provided for operation of the hydraulic adjusters and the timing gear chain tensioners.

The engine is lubricated by a force-feed oil circulation system with a full flow oil filter. The oil cooler forms a unit with the oil filter and fuel cooler, which is mounted centrally in the middle of the cylinder block between the two banks of cylinders. The engine oil is cooled using the engine cooling system. The eliminates the need for an additional engine oil cooler remotely mounted.

The fuel cooler, which forms part of the oil filter body, is also cooled by engine coolant. In addition there is a further fuel cooler in the return line to the fuel tank.

The oil returns to the oil pan under gravity. Large drain holes through the cylinder heads and cylinder block ensure the quick return of the oil, reducing the volume of oil required and enabling an accurate check of the contents soon after the engine stops.

System replenishment is through the oil filler cap on the RH camshaft cover.

With the exception of the pump and level gauge, all oil system components are installed on the sump.

Oil Pick-up

The moulded composite oil pick-up is immersed in the oil reservoir to provide a supply to the oil pump during all normal vehicle attitudes. The castellated inlet allows the supply to be maintained even if the sump pan is deformed (e.g. by 'grounding'). A mesh screen in the inlet prevents debris from entering the oil system.

Oil pump

The oil pump is a gear type pump and is bolted and dowelled to the front of the engine block. It is sealed by means of a rubber gasket, which is recessed into the oil pump housing. The pump inlet and outlet ports align with oil passages in the ladder frame.

The pumping element is an eccentric rotor, which is directly driven by flats on the crankshaft. An integral pressure relief valve regulates pump outlet pressure at 4.5 Bar (65.25 Psi).

The front crankshaft oil seal is housed in the oil pump casing and is fitted such that its front face is 1mm underflush with the machined front face of the oil pump.

NOTE :
The seal is not to be pushed all the way into the bore as this will block the seal drains.

Oil filter

The oil filter is a replaceable cartridge installed on an adapter in the centre of the 'vee'. An internal bypass facility permits full flow bypass if the filter is blocked.

Post #208682725th Sep 2019 8:21 am
OvalAutos

United Kingdom 

You forgot to add the horrifying specification of the low pressure sensor;

The oil pressure switch, located in the 'vee' at the front of the LH cylinder head, connects a ground input to the instrument cluster when oil pressure is present. The switch operates at a pressure of 0.15 to 0.41 bar (2.2 to 5.9 psi) Shocked
 Joe  
Post #208692925th Sep 2019 2:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gearmuncher

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

on the early D3's the filter has a pipe that fits into the filter housing, dose anyone know what it supply's or what it is for ?.

Post #208693125th Sep 2019 3:10 pm
Pete K

don't know what pipe you refer to.

On 2.7 sensor connects to ground when no pressure is present

Post #208695925th Sep 2019 5:19 pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 

I believe the pipe you are talking about presses down on a valve that maintains a vacuum to enable oil to stay within the filter housing when the engine is switched off.
 Kev

MY2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
MY2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey 

Post #208703925th Sep 2019 9:51 pm
Riccarton Disco

Blimey OvalAutos Shocked Shocked So, by the time the switch operates things are pretty dire!!!
Hmm - you've got me worried now Sad Sad Sad

Thanks everyone for the advice re 5w40 oil Smile Smile

Post #208721926th Sep 2019 5:26 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

OvalAutos wrote:
You forgot to add the horrifying specification of the low pressure sensor;

The oil pressure switch, located in the 'vee' at the front of the LH cylinder head, connects a ground input to the instrument cluster when oil pressure is present. The switch operates at a pressure of 0.15 to 0.41 bar (2.2 to 5.9 psi) Shocked

Many Thks, wonder how hard it would be to Fit a oil pressure gauge , imagine it would just be the case of removing the sensor , fitting a short piece of pipe, tee then reinstalling the sensor

Unless of course it’s a lot more complicated than that, maybe restricted access

Is this it plse , thks Thumbs Up

Post #208722526th Sep 2019 5:42 pm
Riccarton Disco

Took some finding but here's what I was looking for. This is the oil pressure test routine from Jaguar's manual for their version of the 2.7 tdv6 -

C1: CHECK FOR LOW ENGINE OIL PRESSURE
Remove the oil pressure sensor, REFER to: Engine Oil Pressure (EOP) Sensor (303-14A Electronic Engine Controls - TDV6 2.7L Diesel, Removal and Installation). Connect a suitable oil pressure gauge in place of the oil pressure sensor. Start the engine and check for leaks at the gauge connection. Allow the engine to idle and monitor the oil pressure. Raise the engine speed to 2,500 rpm and monitor the oil pressure. Is the oil pressure less than 0.50 bar (7.25 psi) between idle and 2,500 rpm? Yes GO to C2. No GO to C3.
C2: CHECK FOR LOW ENGINE OIL PRESSURE AT ENGINE SPEEDS GREATER THAN 2,500 RPM
Raise the engine speed to above 2,500 rpm and monitor the oil pressure. Is the oil pressure less than 1.0 bar (14.5 psi) at engine speeds greater than 2,500 rpm? Yes Pressure this low may indicate a problem with: oil pump, filtering, clearances within the engine. Check if there are any other indications of engine faults (noise, etc), refer to the symptom chart above. No GO to C3.
C3: CHECK FOR HIGH ENGINE OIL PRESSURE
Monitor the engine oil pressure at varying engine speeds. Does the oil pressure reach 4.0 bar (58 psi)? Yes Pressure this high may indicate a blockage in the lubrication system. If this is not resolved, high oil pressure will lead to engine oil leaks and other failures. No If the oil pressure stays in the band between 0.50 bar (7.25 psi) and 1.0 bar (14.5 psi) this would be considered normal.

If nothing else it gives an indication of the pressures the system should be running at Smile Smile

Post #208724126th Sep 2019 6:45 pm
Riccarton Disco

gstuart - yes - that's the sensor and there have been some really nice jobs done to add the gauge. One on the tinterweb shows an aluminium manifold mounted to that bracket in front (or in place of perhaps??).

I'll see if I can find it again Smile Smile

Post #208724326th Sep 2019 6:48 pm
Pete K

To be fair all cars work this way. When the oil light comes on things are very bad!

The LR is better in some ways, putting the sensor at the top of the engine,
Will give a little eariler warning when things are marginal

Post #208724426th Sep 2019 6:48 pm
Riccarton Disco

Photo shamelessly stolen from here:

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showt...itch/page2

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Rather nice I thought Smile Smile

Post #208724626th Sep 2019 6:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>