Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

OMAHA - Water dropping from underside
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
OMAHA

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
OMAHA - Water dropping from underside

Last night i saw a small puddle of water under my discovery, it seems to be dropping from around the gearbox. i had a good look at it, smelled it, tasted it. Its just clear water as far as i can see.
I put a tray under it and this morning it seemed to slow down if not stop. There was very little to begin with but still a worry. It was a dry day and i only used the windscreen washer a little. So i was stumped.
I looked in the manual and under the air conditioning section it says the dehumidifying process produces water which is expelled now and then through drain tubes underneath. I hope thats all it is.
Anyone any thoughts?
 '05 Discovery TDV6 S+ Commercial, Zambezi Silver, Ebony Black Cloth.

"No matter where you go, there you are" 

Post #215035th Oct 2005 7:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Shouldn't be a problem, especially if it passes the 'taste test' Laughing the aircon operates more than you would think, especially if you hit the auto button

Post #215045th Oct 2005 7:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 
Re: Water dropping from underside

OMAHA wrote:
Last night i saw a small puddle of water under my discovery, it seems to be dropping from around the gearbox. i had a good look at it, smelled it, tasted it. Its just clear water as far as i can see.
I put a tray under it and this morning it seemed to slow down if not stop. There was very little to begin with but still a worry. It was a dry day and i only used the windscreen washer a little. So i was stumped.
I looked in the manual and under the air conditioning section it says the dehumidifying process produces water which is expelled now and then through drain tubes underneath. I hope thats all it is.
Anyone any thoughts?

Sounds like the usual aircon dribble.

Post #215055th Oct 2005 7:36 am
OMAHA

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yeah, looks like its just the aircon, its pretty common if u use it alot so i hear. Mates in work say it happens to them all the time.
I probably should have put this topic in the technical section, maybe the moderator can move it.
 '05 Discovery TDV6 S+ Commercial, Zambezi Silver, Ebony Black Cloth.

"No matter where you go, there you are" 

Post #217936th Oct 2005 6:35 am
Hasgaroth

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

My leak is not from the underside of the car, it's on the inside!

I've just got it back from the dealers after them trying to sort out all manner of electrical problems (bluetooth, voice recognition, suspension fault warnings, coolant level warnings, etc.!!!) and it turns out that the drain pipe from the right side of the sunroof was kinked, causing it to fill up then over-flow and drip out from the interior light casing all over the center console!

Added to that, the drain pipe on the left side of the sunroof was (and sill is) either completely blocked / split / whatever, or doesn't come out underneath the car where it should do, hence the carpets in the passenger footwell being sodden wet! With rubber floor mats you don't notice these things until they may be too late!

This is probably the main cause of all the eleccy problems I've been having, due to a large wireing loom that goes down under the passengers door opening. Chap at garage reckons he may have to replace the loom, as there are connectors which may have become corroded!

Also, the coolant level detector in the over-flow seems to be playing up (he says they've replaced at least 3 of these recently)

Oh well, they are going to get it all sorted (eventually) - still really happy with the car though!!! Very Happy
 2005 Disco3 TDV6 HSE, Bonatti Grey
2005 VW Beetle Cabriolet, Aquarius Blue 

Post #2750311th Nov 2005 2:55 pm
BN

England 

Hasgaroth wrote:

I've just got it back from the dealers after them trying to sort out all manner of electrical problems (bluetooth, voice recognition, suspension fault warnings, coolant level warnings, etc.!!!) and it turns out that the drain pipe from the right side of the sunroof was kinked, causing it to fill up then over-flow and drip out from the interior light casing all over the center console!

Added to that, the drain pipe on the left side of the sunroof was (and sill is) either completely blocked / split / whatever, or doesn't come out underneath the car where it should do, hence the carpets in the passenger footwell being sodden wet! With rubber floor mats you don't notice these things until they may be too late!

This is probably the main cause of all the eleccy problems I've been having, due to a large wireing loom that goes down under the passengers door opening. Chap at garage reckons he may have to replace the loom, as there are connectors which may have become corroded!

Also, the coolant level detector in the over-flow seems to be playing up (he says they've replaced at least 3 of these recently)

Oh well, they are going to get it all sorted (eventually) - still really happy with the car though!!! Very Happy

That is bad is it a MY06 version?

Post #2750511th Nov 2005 2:56 pm
Hasgaroth

Nah, '05 plate. Chaps at Guy Salmon (Statford) are great though - seem to be going out of the way to sort things out for us... including pinching an internal door cable for the rear passenger lock mechanism from a brand spanky new motor to replace our sticky one and then getting a replacement for theirs on their own time...

And to think, we didn't even buy the car from them! Got it from Market Raisen in Lincolnshite - 120miles away...

Post #2750711th Nov 2005 2:59 pm
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Water dropping from underside

OMAHA wrote:
Anyone any thoughts?

Sounds very much like the aircon - condensing moisture from the air then dripping off. The 'puddle' from the aircon should only be a couple of inches diameter (obviously depends on the surface on which the car is sat!). Much bigger than this would suggest that either (1) you are in a very humid place with lots of airborne moisture to condense against the cold air con pipes or (2) a proper leak.
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #2751211th Nov 2005 3:13 pm
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

Hasgaroth wrote:

hi hasgaroth

have they sorted you phone and voice control as mine has been into my dealer 5 times now still not fixed it. like you i purchased from some where else but my local dealer has bent over back wards to help but just cannot sort the problem out. they are having it again next week for 2 DAYS MINIMUM but are still very unsure. they are saying they are thinking of trying to get some chaps from land rover factory to come and have a look. i am starting to loose faith in them but its hard as they are trying so hard (i think) cheers shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #2756311th Nov 2005 7:55 pm
irf

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
voice control

Shawn - what's wrong with your voice control.

I thought that mine wasn't working until I realised that the nice English sounding gent was in fact expecting me to talk to him in American.

Once I'd set up the language from the default of US to UK in the NAV I got a lady who seemed to understand pretty much everything I said !

Post #2756811th Nov 2005 8:51 pm
Hasgaroth

shawn wrote:

hi hasgaroth

have they sorted you phone and voice control as mine has been into my dealer 5 times now still not fixed it. like you i purchased from some where else but my local dealer has bent over back wards to help but just cannot sort the problem out. they are having it again next week for 2 DAYS MINIMUM but are still very unsure. they are saying they are thinking of trying to get some chaps from land rover factory to come and have a look. i am starting to loose faith in them but its hard as they are trying so hard (i think) cheers shawn

Hi Shawn,
Not fixed yet, will have to let them have it for 3 days while they dry out the inside of the footwell and check none of wiring completely dead. They gonna sort the sunroof drain out first, dry out the car, then inspect all the wires for corrosion, fixing any that need doing. Hopefully, if all goes well, it <should> sort out all the electrical problems I've been having! Two lots of bluetooth modules, an air compressor and computer, etc.! (not to mention the lovely internal shower every time if really pi Censored es it down!

Do you have the sunroof? If so, get them to check the drain tubes right and left! If not, get them to check for other water ingress near the passenger footwell where those electronics are situated.

I will post the outcome when it happens! Just waiting for them to sort out the replacement parts and arrange me a replacement disco for the duration - the freelander they gave me before really struggles to fit 5 kids plus 2 adults!

Green laneing tomorrow Very Happy , gonna get really muddy and <stuff> - hope I don't scratch it - my lovely lady wont be too pleased if I do! Shocked

Post #2767012th Nov 2005 11:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >