Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Roading & Green Laning

Any one know of green lanes near Bakewell?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Any one know of green lanes near Bakewell?

I am planning to go camping near Bakewell this weekend, any one have gone down green lanes in the area?

Post #68387018th Aug 2010 10:34 pm
SN

A good few in the Peak District near there - GLASS website (name escapes me) reveals locations - don't recommend going on your own though Thumbs Up
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #68390419th Aug 2010 12:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
scootay2k5

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I'm from around that area, well... nottinghamshire area but have spent many weekends walking and cycling around matlock and bakewell etc with the family. I've recently been speaking to my mum as I've joined in in northern wales for a bit of a break and she says she's got an OS map for derbyshire, when we are back this weekend al see if I can scan some pages for you, I'd love to know if there's any too as I've only ever been on one at mansfield woodhouse and that wasn't very good at all, too many police around as it runs next to an old quarry where everyone goes illegally off roading

Post #68410619th Aug 2010 5:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lurk

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I'm high Peak based - thats 40 min's from Bakewell - maybe too far out for you - unfortunately I'm away for 3 weeks but;-, look on google for 'Combs' Village, then look for a small lane 'Long lane' runs between Combs and Horwhich End - Whaley Bridge - only a couple of miles, not too rough but can get overgrown with shrubs - passable always - just watch you side panels with the heather. The BeeHive at Combs is great for meals and a pint under Castle Naze (edge of the Peak Natational Park) some nice small back roads around the area as well.
Watch yourself in the NP - the countryside Rangers are red hot on anywhere not recognised - even if they are Green
Lanes - if they haven't been used they actively discourage !.....

Lurk
 Why do I have 2 big hands when my D3 maintenance requires small hands and at least three of them ?  
Post #68410719th Aug 2010 5:20 pm
Woody3

England 

There are loads...I haven't attempted any in my D3, but have done them all in my Defender (I'm not too worried if I scratch that Laughing ).

Like SN says, I wouldn't recommend doing any alone, but I'll list the ones that you will be capable of doing on your own (if you use a bit of common sense):

1) There is one on the A6 (between Haddon Hall and Rowsley).
Heading from Bakewell it is on your left hand side. It takes you back into Bakewell, but it does go through a farm, so I wouldn't advise doing it at night...not demanding, but good for a practice and some nice views.

2) Another one is from Darley Bridge to Birchover...this one runs behind the Beethoven Factory. Might be a little tight for a D3 though (width wise).

3) There is another near Calver, this runs towards Great Longstone/Rowland area...Loose stones/Rock Climb - very simple.

4) Monsal Head/Dale is another. Some stunning views from that Green Lane... a secluded waterfall etc. Nice Rock Climb...Stop for a picnic at the top, then I'd turn around and go back if you are on your own...can get quite sticky in some of the fields (plus lots of opening and closing of gates)!

Do NOT do the following alone...

5) Stanage Edge...A little extreme rock climb...but very good.

My advice would be to walk them first especially with the recent weather we have had!

There are a few more, but they escape me at the moment.

Have Fun! Thumbs Up

Post #68424620th Aug 2010 2:13 am
Woody3

England 

Scootay - I assume you are on about the "Dessert"?

You must be from around my neck o' the woods.

I'm between J27 & 28 of the M1!

Me and my mate often go out in our Defenders Green Laning in Derbyshire...drop me a pm if you are interested in coming along Thumbs Up

Post #68424820th Aug 2010 2:17 am
Womble

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Have a look just outside Buxton on the A5004.
Super little lane that I pass every day, (just dont have the bottle to take the freelander Embarassed

Think its been used in LRO for photo shoots in the past
(How I miss the XS Sad Sad )

Post #68577524th Aug 2010 10:09 pm
lurk

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Woody3

Would you let me have a few more details of the Stanage edge lane - I often photograph up that way - would surely love to be able to take the D3 to carry the kit !

Cheers
Lurk Thumbs Up
 Why do I have 2 big hands when my D3 maintenance requires small hands and at least three of them ?  
Post #6907708th Sep 2010 4:52 pm
riverblanche

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

the Rowsley to Bakewell via coombs farm is a nice drive, have a brew at the top of the valley, should be an easy drive for a D3 Smile south out of Over Haddon is more challanging through the ford and up hill, always seems odd driving across a grass field to the farm gate.
you can always drive across the golf course at Buxton as well.
Dont think I would do stanage up or down on your own though Shocked Bamford to redmires.
you will be doing chappell gate and hollinsclough next Exclamation Exclamation
 Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Another Porsche Cayenne 2022
Gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
Gone RRS HSE Dynamic 2016
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

I plan on living forever and so far so good !

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #6909448th Sep 2010 11:26 pm
scootay2k5

woody! hello sorry i only have only just been looking back at these posts and saw your message to me, yeah im from J28 (sutton-in-ashfield) where abouts do you generally go greenlaning, i know what i said about that route past the desert but my disco hasnt really been equipped for off road (tyres etc.)

Post #69233212th Sep 2010 9:48 pm
whtdavid

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Hi scootay2k5

I live in Chesterfield and have and do laning in the peak district using a standard Disco on road tyres without any problems.
Thumbs Up
:

Post #69249313th Sep 2010 1:32 pm
scootay2k5

whtdavid have you done any lanes local to us?

Post #69278414th Sep 2010 10:43 am
whtdavid

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Hi scootay2k5

I have driven any lanes around your area

Post #69360616th Sep 2010 6:09 pm
mapleleaf 123

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Guys, I'm from near Matlock and would be interested in having some company should any of you fancy driving some of the lanes in the area.
Stock D3 with side steps and AT2s.
John.
 Why buy a car when you can buy a Land Rover.....because I'm worth it.

D3 TDV6 SE
Silver with black, privacy glass, side steps, parrott and powered iPhone holder. 

Post #69361616th Sep 2010 6:50 pm
Woody3

England 

How I have missed the replies to this thread I have no idea! Shocked

Lurk - I wouldn't take the D3 up there. I've only done it twice in my 90...the underside gets scraped left, right and centre!...my mates 110 got beached on a rock up there, so I dread to think what would happen to the D3.

Scootay - you sound like you are just around the corner from me then...I'm from Kirkby! We have a few OS Maps marked up with all the green lanes on in our area...you don't actually realise how many there are around us!

John - Just got your pm, I'm up for a Green Lane session if anyone else is? My D3 is also stock and has technically never been off road (besides going across a few fields), although I am very reluctant to taking it green laning (as that is why I have the Defender! Whistle )

David - I'm intrigued to know what lanes you have attempted? Did you go alone? My main concern is scratching the D3 Confused

Should we try and arrange something between us for both D3's and Defenders? Probably in the Derbyshire area?

If so, I'll put together a list of lanes where the chances of any scratches to the D3's (caused by branches, thorns etc) are as minimal as poss....

Post #69438218th Sep 2010 11:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >