Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 4

One month in
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
rsk21

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
One month in

We've had our D4 HSE for almost a month now so it seems a good time to do a running report.

Overall impressions are extremely positive. The major plus points are as follows:

1 - Much better engine - smoother, quicker, quieter with lots of torque, no more hesitation and fantastic at motorway speeds. Significantly quicker than the D3 and has the legs on even remapped 2.7s as confirmed in a recent meeting with one such owner on the M40. It's still bedding in but consumption seems to be 2-3 mpg better than the D3.

2 - Handling - Holds on much more and wallows much less in a nutshell.

3 - Still feels like a Disco. Sounds trite but was massively important buying factor as far as we were concerned. Goes to the same places, has the same fantastic versatility and makes every drive feel special.

4 - It's an HSE so vs our previous S the toy count is much higher. New HDD sat nav is very good indeed and so much quicker than the old DVD nav, DAB is utterly brilliant, iPod and USB added to the top end HK sound system (which means we can hear in the back) are great, cameras are a cool gadget and actually have proved to be useful on more than one occassion now, seats are very comfortable and whilst I may have been a sceptic previously the armrests really do make a difference.

The downsides are really no more than niggles but can be annoying nonetheless:

1 - Not entirely convinced of the integrity of the electrics. Mysteriously the clock nor the door "mood lights" lit up until after about a week of ownership Question Maybe we pressed something but I can't find any mention in the handbook. Similarly folding mirrors had a bit of a hissy fit one day which has not been repeated since.

2 - As above I thought at first all four windows had "one shot" but the rears no longer do this - I may have imagined they ever did though Embarassed

3 - Hybrid TV reception is very poor no matter where I am - anybody any views on how if at all this can be remedied ?

4 - Floor mats seem to have a different mounting system to those in the D3 which is annoying as the cream ones are nice to look at but lacking in practical value and the old D3 rubber ones won't fit.

5 - The steering wheel joystick thingy is a real missed opportunity. This could do so much more by way of controlling the audio/phone functions as it is the touchscreen is the only way to scroll through phonebook, Ipod folders, album tracks etc. IN addition the central display does not show any Nav or audio info on our car although I belive it now does on later builds. In return though we got cameras and rear seat headphone modules which is a fair trade off.

6 - High beam assist is the answer to a question nobody ever asked.

7 - Factory fit privacy glass is poor compared to the dealer fit on the last one leading to cries of "bright light" from one of the gremlins.

So quantitatively more in the - than + lists above but the reality is qualitatively it's a huge thumbs up for the D4 Thumbs Up
 FFRR Vogue SE - Waitomo

D4 XXV - Causeway

D4 HSE 255 - Sumatra

D4 HSE 245 - Stornoway

D3 S - Java 

Post #53664819th Oct 2009 11:05 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4
Re: One month in

rsk21 wrote:
4 - Floor mats seem to have a different mounting system to those in the D3 which is annoying as the cream ones are nice to look at but lacking in practical value and the old D3 rubber ones won't fit

Yes they will......

Take the hooky thing out of the floor carpet; note how it is inserted and mirror the same cuts in the rubber mat; now fix the rubber mats in place using the mounting lugs.....and then you can either have the rubber mats or clip the carpet mats over the top of the rubber ones.

Post #53668519th Oct 2009 12:05 pm
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4
Re: One month in

rsk21 wrote:

2 - As above I thought at first all four windows had "one shot" but the rears no longer do this - I may have imagined they ever did though Embarassed

They all should be one shot - I found one was one shot down, but not back up! Dealer soon fixed this!

Post #53677319th Oct 2009 2:43 pm
Gt.Mooglywoogly

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
one shot or not

When I picked the car I was told there was one shot on all windows. This didn't work !!!

But if you put the ignition on and hold the offending window switch up for about 20 seconds then one shot will magically return. seems to work on all windows.

No trip to dealer needed.

If the battery is disconnected it seems to switch it off again

Hope this helps

Post #53701319th Oct 2009 10:25 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I would suggest that you check the battery terminals......this has been an issue in the past.

From the book of rules:

Resetting one touch operation
If the battery is disconnected, becomes discharged or the power supply is interrupted, the one touch up window operation is disabled until the window position is reset.

To reset the window position:

1. Close the window fully
2. Release the switch, then pull up and hold
the switch for one second.
3. Repeat the procedure on each window.

Post #53702019th Oct 2009 10:28 pm
rsk21

Thanks to both Thumbs Up

Will try it today
 FFRR Vogue SE - Waitomo

D4 XXV - Causeway

D4 HSE 255 - Sumatra

D4 HSE 245 - Stornoway

D3 S - Java 

Post #53712420th Oct 2009 10:15 am
Calcul@tor

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Are they one shot across the range... or just for the HSE or HSE/XS?
 D4 XS MY12 Galway  
Post #53715720th Oct 2009 11:34 am
Titan

2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4
New 4 HSE

I pick up my new HSE tomorrow after 18 months with D3 SE, perfectly satisfied. I will report my views but am waiting to establish whether it is practically possible to easily switch headlights to right hand drive for continent. The difficulty/impossibility with the D3 was the only irritation I experienced with it. Fingers crossed.
 Titan  
Post #5442732nd Nov 2009 2:34 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I thought it was just a lever for teh D3? (albeit a little tight) I would imagine it would be the same for D4 Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #5442782nd Nov 2009 2:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rsk21

There's no electronic way to reset the lights for the continent like on an Audi Q7 but as Bodsy says according to the handbook the HSE Xenons just need a lever flicked.

RSK
 FFRR Vogue SE - Waitomo

D4 XXV - Causeway

D4 HSE 255 - Sumatra

D4 HSE 245 - Stornoway

D3 S - Java 

Post #5450983rd Nov 2009 3:00 pm
ossrider

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Ah many thanks to the tips for resetting the one shot up windows Very Happy

I thought it was odd that they only operated on the way down but not back up again, all sorted now though! Simple Laughing

Post #5451873rd Nov 2009 6:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Reginald Molehusband

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Quote:
Resetting one touch operation
If the battery is disconnected, becomes discharged or the power supply is interrupted, the one touch up window operation is disabled until the window position is reset.

I am grateful! I got my D4 last week and I perused these pages for some hours just catching up and I must have glanced over this post. Had I not done so I would not have had an instant fix for my D4's failure to operate the one-shot-up window closure.

Being a saddo reading all this stuff just-in-case, imagine how much fun I could have with the book that includes the instructions given here. Where can I find such a literary jewel?

Post #55367319th Nov 2009 6:16 pm
SN

http://www.disco4.com/wiki - but someone's gotta add all the D4 stuff

incidentally ... Martin if you're reading this, the branding is not too hot on the wiki for d4 owners Whistle
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #55378419th Nov 2009 10:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >