Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

One week in
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Targa

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
One week in

Had the D3 (2005 TDV6 manual S) a week now and got through a tank of fuel. Grin factor definitely still there, only downside is I calculate 26.5mpg Crying or Very sad
After the D1 with radio/cassette and basic everything the climate, CD/Ipod, heated seats etc of the D3 is untold luxury, which just adds to the superb driving experience. It all makes the mpg easier to bear 8)

D1 sold thanks to geoff of this parish - thanks for putting me in touch with your mate. Hope he is happy with his new toy.

Some questions if anyone can help:

1/ When the fuel burning heater kicks in does it stay on until you stop or does it cut out when the engine is warm? Got home tonight after around 40 miles and when I switched the engine off it sounded as though the FBH was still on. It cut out after a few seconds.

2/ When slowing down on the engine there is a bit of a whine/drone - is this to be expected? I am thinking it is being a 4WD an all but it is so different from my old D1 that i am not sure what is right and what isn't.

3/ I have noticed tyre squeal quite a few times on roundabouts and bends. Don't think I have been overdoing it on speed so is this normal? New tyres on the back.

Overall early impressions are a totally awesome car....glad I finally decided to make the move 8)

Post #75060622nd Jan 2011 12:46 am
MuddyMarky

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Congratulations on the 26.5mpg really! Good job you didn't get an auto fella - average on the computer is 23-24mpg, so gawd only knows what it is really - I know the real consumption is never as good as the computer says! I'm always staggered when I read about people claiming to get nearly 30 mpg (or more) from their D3 - I reckon all the journey's must be downhill with the thing switched off! lol

Not sure about the FBH, sorry.....I've not ever noticed a 'whine' noise on mine at all, but I'm sure someone else will be able to help there. Also wouldn't worry about the tyre squeal if thats definately what it is.

Smile
 TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue  
Post #75081122nd Jan 2011 5:15 pm
A1GSS

England 

Re the FBH, as far as I can tell, mine (2008 model) comes on if it's cold enough to trigger it (below about 7 degrees), stays on for the whole journey, then runs on for a minute or so after turning the car off.

They do seem to be very variable though.

It does seem perverse to fit extra equipment to a vehicle to warm the coolant ie to fight the cooling system.... Surely be simpler (cheaper) to control the degree to which the cooling fans work...?

Who knows.
 ____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey 

Post #75081722nd Jan 2011 5:39 pm
Targa

antoniasdad wrote:
Re the FBH, as far as I can tell, mine (2008 model) comes on if it's cold enough to trigger it (below about 7 degrees), stays on for the whole journey, then runs on for a minute or so after turning the car off.

They do seem to be very variable though.

Sounds as though mine is doing what yours does. I agree, it seems a bit daft heating the coolant. I get it for faster warm up if it cut out once the engine is up to temp but to stay on is a bit odd.

Post #75086222nd Jan 2011 7:14 pm
Targa

MuddyMarky wrote:
Congratulations on the 26.5mpg really! Good job you didn't get an auto fella - average on the computer is 23-24mpg, so gawd only knows what it is really - I know the real consumption is never as good as the computer says! I'm always staggered when I read about people claiming to get nearly 30 mpg (or more) from their D3 - I reckon all the journey's must be downhill with the thing switched off! lol
Smile

Mainly did longish runs to get 26.5 - don't want to think what I will get round town Shocked

Post #75086322nd Jan 2011 7:15 pm
anglefire

England 

My long term average (over the last 16k miles) is 25.89. Best has been nearly 30 - worst (When it was really cold last December and I was doing a lot of short journeys) was less than 18mpg.

Mines an Auto too Thumbs Up
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #75091422nd Jan 2011 8:51 pm
MuddyMarky

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Smile I don't think my trips in my D3 help the economy much tbh- they're mostly under 10-12 miles long! Still love the thing though - have been wondering if a remap would help at all, given the shortness of my regular runs out?
 TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue  
Post #75100623rd Jan 2011 12:26 am
simoniz

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Targa

FBH will keep working if a) the exterior temperature is 4 degrees or below & b) coolant temperature is 75 degress or below... If one or the other go higher FBH stops. Once you switch off it does a flush if the aforementioned temperatures prevail then shuts down till next time the temperature conditions exist.

As for your whine/drone - could be diff issues or Tyres getting low on tread,Good Year Wranglers do this when worn.

Tyre squeals I experienced also again when on Good Year Wranglers

Thumbs Up

Post #75139223rd Jan 2011 11:29 pm
Will Hay

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

MuddyMarky wrote:
Smile I don't think my trips in my D3 help the economy much tbh- they're mostly under 10-12 miles long! Still love the thing though - have been wondering if a remap would help at all, given the shortness of my regular runs out?

Mine has a bluefin remap, I get 22, 26 and 32 for the three typical journeys.
You won't see a major change in my opinion, just a better driving experience.
 D3 incl. genuine glass windscreen, front bi-focal headlights, full width rear bumper, self levelling washer bottle contents and audible 'tick tock' indicator stalk
911 GT3 had one [never]
R8 V12 just gone [past me]
Piiss highest up a wall winner runner up 1979 

Post #75148924th Jan 2011 10:37 am
Targa

simoniz wrote:
Targa

FBH will keep working if a) the exterior temperature is 4 degrees or below & b) coolant temperature is 75 degress or below... If one or the other go higher FBH stops. Once you switch off it does a flush if the aforementioned temperatures prevail then shuts down till next time the temperature conditions exist.

As for your whine/drone - could be diff issues or Tyres getting low on tread,Good Year Wranglers do this when worn.

Tyre squeals I experienced also again when on Good Year Wranglers

Thumbs Up

Thanks. The front tyres are older than the rear (which are new) so may be an option.Thinking about the potential diff issue I might get it looked at - have LR warranty so might cover any problems.

Post #75183225th Jan 2011 12:42 am
Targa

Will Hay wrote:
MuddyMarky wrote:

Mine has a bluefin remap, I get 22, 26 and 32 for the three typical journeys.
You won't see a major change in my opinion, just a better driving experience.

I seem to be picking up varying views on the re-map and fuel economy. Might give it a go though

Post #75183325th Jan 2011 12:48 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Assume no change in mpg, if you get a decrease treat that as a bonus. Your car will be doing it's best to keep its thirst up whatever you do. Worth a remap just for the Mr. Green factor.

Post #75183425th Jan 2011 12:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >