Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Oops
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
karl

United Kingdom 

i would expect that any major issues in each D3 would be ironed out by the end of the warranty... after that i should think that the D3 would be fairly reliable

a cars reliability shouldn't really be judged on its first two years of production, as this is the time when the manufacturer is still making design changes based on customer feedback / problems.

reliabilty surveys are useless... they usually are for cars sold at least 3 years ago, so dont prove useful for someone buying a brand new car, as manufacturers (should) have developed the car further in that time

as for buying used, any issues that come up in a reliabilty survey should have been fixed under warranty
 D3 TDV8 HSE on order, Should Arrive 2017. If i'm lucky.  
Post #7756411th Aug 2006 11:53 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

DickyH wrote:
"The data they would have used would most likely not include the D3, RRS or latest RR... JD Power are only just starting to include late 2004 registered vehicles now. "
I guess next years results will be even worse then!
Based on what data are you making that assumption? Confused The End  
Post #7756511th Aug 2006 11:54 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

DickyH wrote:
So would you both be prepared to own one several years after the manufacturers warranty expires?

Would I ....if I had to, yes , of course....... when I think of some of the heaps I driven round in in my life !! ...Will I ....No ...since being able to afford a brand new motor, about 10 years ago, I change every few years regardless.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #7757011th Aug 2006 12:26 pm
catweasel

oliver77 wrote:
Where do I start.......
Suspension collapsing
Tailgate Stuts damaging the body work
Paint defects
More electrical problems than you can shake a stick at
You only need to read the topics on here.

The Fiat Punto won more awards than the Discovery 3. The Freelander Commercial won one of the What Van awards a few years ago. What Van told Land Rover if you'll take a table for 12 you'll get an award. That doesn't just happen for Land Rover it's industry wide so I don't hold much weight to that.

Phil Popham was interviewed at the Motorshow and it was shown on large screens. "Freelander 2 will have excellent levels of reliability as we knew this was crucial to our success. Reliability issues have and in many cases continue to haunt Land Rover but we are totally focussed on turning this around"
Sell your Disco and buy a Toyota. The Toyota has no issues oh except for things like the common problem of the lower control arm breaking but that’s just a small issue and I’m sure you wouldn’t notice, or you could keep your D3 and just get on with it. I have a Mazda 323 and it’s done almost 370,000 kms and never let me down and never had any reliability issues except for expected wear and tear of a vehicle that age. Must be the most reliable brand in the world, get one of them.
DickyH wrote:
That's the problem Oliver. What do you do if you need to buy a car that has to last you for a long time, like 7 or 8 years? I hate to say it, but the answer seems to be to avoid the D3. Nobody seems to fancy the idea of a D3 outside of the manufacturers warranty.

So who’s the guy you know with the 7-8 year old D3, or do you have a crystal ball. I’ve never owned a car for less than ten years and intend to hang on to my D3 for probably longer and it doesn’t concern me in the slightest. Don’t make a broad statement like nobody seems to fancy owning outside of 3 years unless you have spoken to every body. Seems to me youv’e already made your decision you just don’t know it yet or are failing to recognise it.
oliver77 wrote:
Unfortunately, we have moved from other premium brands where we haven't been used to all of these problems. As a result we can be as vocal as the guys who have Land Rover written through them like a stick of rock.
and if you care to read a few more posts you will find others have been dispirited with these so-called premium brands which is why they now find themselves in a D3
DickyH wrote:
Well I have to say that's it's very refreshing hearing a balanced view for once Oliver77.
And you should read a few more posts to find healthy debates on this issue. Why do you guys even bother if you’re so against it in the first place and as pointed out, the masses aren’t going to seek out this forum if they have no need to and those that do want to delve further into it’s potential or do have issues so anyone visiting will perceive an unreliable vehicle and most of those issues appear to be software related and mostly fixed. Its only going to get better with age not worse, think about it.
DickyH wrote:
I find it a little annoying that having come here to ask for advice, people seem incapable of being objective.
Once again read more posts, or you could go to a forum which is more to your liking. This must be the best, most relaxed and friendly forum anyone could hope for. Most people visit because of a problem, get very helpful advice (which quite often shocks their dealers as to how much they know about the D3) and are very happy, others just want to know more about their ride and others like to tinker and improve it all of which this site achieves with as much grace and purpose as the car it’s about. you are quite welcome to your opinions but all I hear is the fact that you wish you didn't own a D3, so do something about it. I’ll stop there before I give myself a stroke.  
Post #7757811th Aug 2006 12:43 pm
oliver77

Wales 

FULL HOUSE

I think all of the usual suspects who jump to Land Rovers defence whatever the subject have now been accounted for Rolling Eyes

Post #7758111th Aug 2006 12:48 pm
catweasel

I'm not jumping to Landrovers defence re read and see if you can figure it out, if not I'll let you know

Post #7758211th Aug 2006 12:50 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Thumbs Up

Post #7758311th Aug 2006 12:52 pm
sst

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I think there is a great deal of merit in the fact that we D3 owners admit to any problems and discuss them openly.

I know of owners who are so into their brand and models that they will never admit to having had any problems with their car despite it making monthly visits to the dealer. A friend I used to know had an appallingly unreliable motor but to keep the 'cult' status of that car he filled in the JD Power survey to make it out as an infallible and unbeatable car - all his friends were apparently doing the same and it kept the car at the top of the survery - just the result they wanted, but all based on lies.

As has been stated earlier, forums tend to attract the moans and groans and I am sure that if you dig around the web for any car make or model you will find forums similar to this one.

And one thing to think about:

Of the thousands of miles I travel I see all makes and models broken down on the hard shoulder. Have I seen a D3 yet ? No I haven't.
 Si

TDV6 S Auto 2006 Silver, Privacy Glass, Integrated Phone 

Post #7758511th Aug 2006 12:54 pm
catweasel

he must be still reading Shocked

Post #7758611th Aug 2006 12:54 pm
oliver77

Wales 

Sorry about that.

Discovery 3's are the most reliable car ever built. That's why mine was delivered to me crabbing so much that it had to have a full 4 wheel alignment and 2 days of work. Why after 1700 miles the terrain response has packed up, the parking sensors don't work, the paint is a different colour on 3 panels, the drivers seat won't adjust and one of the adaptive headlights doesn't adapt.

After all this car has less problems than the 55 reg 10000 mile one I had before so I should be grateful.

I want to be one of the D3 owners who shouts it's virtues from the roof tops but do you honestly think I have anything to be excited about.

Post #7758911th Aug 2006 12:57 pm
catweasel

oliver77 wrote:
I want to be one of the D3 owners who shouts it's virtues from the roof tops but do you honestly think I have anything to be excited about.
no you dont. go back to your previous car and did you re-read my post and figure it out.  
Post #7759111th Aug 2006 1:00 pm
oliver77

Wales 

So are you saying that I should give up on the car I want because it will never be reliable so I should buy a Toyota.

Post #7759211th Aug 2006 1:02 pm
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

All I can say is - I've put my money where my mouth is.

Who knows what will happen a few years from now? Certainly not me.
So far, I'm perfectly happy with the car and see no reason why I won't still be driving it in 7 or 8 years' time.

Not convinced? Go elsewhere. Plenty of other mfrs willing to snatch your hand off.
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #7759311th Aug 2006 1:02 pm
catweasel

oliver77 wrote:
So are you saying that I should give up on the car I want because it will never be reliable so I should buy a Toyota.
do whaever you like mate and contrary to popular belief Toyota's aren't as reliable as you think they just have better PR than Landrover. I'm not going to argue with you other than to say you seem to be negative in your approach to resolving your issues. this post isn't going anywhere usefull, it has no banter is not helping anyone and appears to be a woes me type post IMHO, and if you care to re-read my posts (which you obviously are not doing) I said your previous car which you state as an XC90. 

Last edited by catweasel on 11th Aug 2006 1:14 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #7759511th Aug 2006 1:11 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Oliver, as previously stated, I have had problems too - and they have been discussed on here. I sympathise with your position if those are your issues, however, there is nothing to be gained by continually debating the 'all disco3's are reliable / unreliable with some exceptions' based upon a sample of one.... (or two in your case)
every owner / potential owner will have their own 'enough is enough' threshold based upon their personal criteria, some will have passed it, some may be approaching it and for others, it's not even on the radar...

It seems particularly unlucky that you have a second vehicle with issues, others have changed (or rejected) vehicles and the overwhelming opinion seems to be that early issues have been engineered or managed out of the supply and build processes with later examples having a much improved owner experience. Some of this can also be put down to the quality control within the dealerships, which is where I suspect the focus of your attention should be in resolving your issues. Yes, the vehicle may well have left the factory in a cr@p state, but the dealers PDI is supposed to be the safety net (or part of it) in this respect

Post #7759611th Aug 2006 1:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >