DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

Opinion on cause of this would be appreciated
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
nebc100

Luxembourg 
Opinion on cause of this would be appreciated

Hello All,

I have a D5 that I bought new approx 3 years ago.

The warranty is about to expire and I want to get the last "fault" sorted.

The problem in question is the reversing camera.

It works fine, but I have a small semicircle at the far right side (half way up) that doesn't show any image.

Have any of you seen this issue before, and will it be covered under warranty (dealer is not really happy about helping)?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Nick

Post #228390117th Mar 2022 7:33 am
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Has it always been like that?

I don’t have much experience with the D5, but know that the camera has a washer doesn’t it? Could it be the tip of that just getting into the camera’s view?

Post #228390717th Mar 2022 8:21 am
nebc100

Luxembourg 

Yes, the D5 has a washer, but sadly it is not the washer that is "hiding" that section.

Yes... it has been like that since I bought the D5.

I have also checked that it is not something on the lens etc.

It doesn't honestly worry me, but the dealer has annoyed me, and so I don't really want to let them get away with it if it should be repaired/replaced under warranty.

Also... my wife's Jaguar e-pace has the same camera module (by the looks of things), and it does NOT have this shaded area.

Lastly... it is not actually a "shadow"... it is a completely "dead" area, but it is not the display... the display works fine.

Post #228390917th Mar 2022 8:34 am
Trailered Movements

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

If it is only apparent when the reverse camera is on, and as it doesn't appear to be actually affecting any view that could be considered vital, I'd leave it as it is.

Why would you want some incompetent halfwit messing with your car, you might just end up with more problems.

If you want to show your disgust with the dealer, take the car elsewhere in future.

Dave
 2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago) 

Post #228391017th Mar 2022 8:56 am
nebc100

Luxembourg 

Trailered... I have been of that opinion for the last 3 years, but... (long story)...

I bought the D5 JUST under 3 years ago, and it has in fact been a very good vehicle and has caused very few issues.

in 3 years, I have been to the dealer for 2 things... the well know leaking front window, and for a replacement seal around the sunroof.

Other than that... it has been perfect.

Then about 10 days ago, it was -7°C, and in the morning it was rough when starting. I called the dealer, and asked if I could leave it with them that day (over night) so they could check in the morning themselves (while it was still below freezing). They "didn't have time". They gave me an appointment for in 2 weeks time. When I made a fuss and told them this was not good enough as the temperatures will be going back up again, and the issue does show when above freezing, they told me to leave it with them this last monday.
It was there all monday, all tuesday, and the "couldn't find any issue".
On top of that, they wouldn't give me a replacement car, even though I had negotiated this with them when I bought the 2 cars from them (I bought my wife's e-pace from them at the same time as the D5). They simply said that a replacement car is not covered by the warranty unless the car is "immobilised". (Note... I actually have 5 years warranty). On top of this, they TRIED to tell me that the warranty starts from the "day of manufacture" of the vehicle, and not from the day that I take possession of the vehicle!!
They are were not even willing to keep the case open until the weather goes cold again so they can diagnose the issue again.

As it is... I NEVER go to them for any services or maintenance. I actually go to a "Land-Rover Authorised Repair Center", so that I don't risk having any questions about my warranty.

BUT... the dealer has now annoyed me so much that I am going to insist that they sort out even this small issue.

I was surprised to note that in the last 12 months, ALL of their "front-end" staff have resigned and been replaced.

There must be a reason for this!!

So... what I am trying to find out is if this type of fault is covered by the JLR warranty, and/or by the 2 year extended warranty because the dealer was trying to tell me that this is not covered.

Post #228391517th Mar 2022 9:14 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

It looks like a camera image sensor issue ...they are an easy replacement so I would just push it asap under warranty.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #228391617th Mar 2022 9:18 am
nebc100

Luxembourg 

Thanks DG... that is what I wanted to hear!!

I am also of the opinion that it is a Camera Sensor issue, but I wanted to get other peoples' opinions.

Post #228391817th Mar 2022 9:20 am
JordsDisco

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 3.0 SDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

So long as you reported it to them within the warranty period, then it should be fine. You can’t help it if they can’t sort it until a later date.

Post #228392917th Mar 2022 10:51 am
al cope

England 

It’s the washer. I had a look at mine, and whilst it’s not quite as obvious as yours, it’s definitely the same place and shape. Got the missus to put her finger on it and it’s deffo the washer nozzle.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #228412718th Mar 2022 11:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Trailered Movements wrote:
If it is only apparent when the reverse camera is on, and as it doesn't appear to be actually affecting any view that could be considered vital, I'd leave it as it is.

Why would you want some incompetent halfwit messing with your car, you might just end up with more problems.

If you want to show your disgust with the dealer, take the car elsewhere in future.

Dave

I agree with this. I wouldn't want the dealership taking it apart and then messing up putting it back together again. It's not as if it prevents the camera doing what is required of it.

As for using dealerships, take it somewhere else irrespective of their attitude to the camera issue. Dealerships are rubbish and anyone with any sense would avoid them like the plague.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #228414318th Mar 2022 12:56 pm
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

That little black bit on the image?

Unless I’m being thick, It’s the camera washer jet Thumbs Up

Like it on all the new ones worse on the defender
 Mike  
Post #228419818th Mar 2022 8:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >