Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Opinions on best camping gear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
bear100

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Opinions on best camping gear

What do you think is the best Camping kit and why?

Mats, cookers, tents, tables chairs etc

Thumbs Up

Post #90082923rd Feb 2012 9:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Grunders

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Personal choice normally governed by your budget...

depends if your new to camping and only testing things out... Most people buy some gear... Try it... Keep it or find its not quite right and upgrade... The fortunate thing there s always ebay to help offload unwanted gear
 If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #90086023rd Feb 2012 9:59 pm
chalky

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I always buy Coleman stoves / burners,

Outwell make some excellent kit which I think is often under rated, I have one of there bear lake 6 tents which is absolutely fantastic !
They also do good accessories, chairs, tables etc,

Don't go mad straight away though, go camping see what u need and what would make the next trip that bit more comfortouble,

Good luck !
 Only dead fish go with the Flow !  
Post #90092023rd Feb 2012 11:01 pm
Comanche

Wales 

If its solo camping I take a Mountain Hardwear Sprite and an MSR pocket rocket, less than 1.5kg for the lot. Thermorest mats are great and theres so juch choice in sleeping bags. If swmbo and the kids are in tow then its a Kyham Ontario 8, and a big old double burner Primus stove.
 I started off with nothing and Ive still got most of it left.  
Post #90093123rd Feb 2012 11:21 pm
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Don't think I'd stick to one brand - many accessories are sold by more than one company anyway and just re-badged.

For family camping I like the Kampa tent I've got, although it was close between them and Outwell. They're both reasonable quality and nice details.

For mats, torches, sleeping bags etc.. Alpkit are worth a look - nice people and great customer service.

Post #90093623rd Feb 2012 11:44 pm
bear100

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks for replys Thumbs Up

I am far from new to camping, I have an oztent rv4 which I find fantastic but a bit on the heavy and long side, I have recently discovered the thermorest mats, they do look comfy but a bit pricey tho, I have always used Coleman duel fuel cookers and lamps which I find awesome, the oztent chairs are solid and well built,

Thumbs Up

Post #90123324th Feb 2012 7:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy Foster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

It's not just about the gear you use but also the site you go to. One of the best sites I go to with mates or SWMBO is Great Langdale in The Lakes. It's a National Trust site with great facilities and 3 pubs within 10 minutes walk. Plus the walking great to.

Andy

PS Outwell tents top notch.

Post #90124924th Feb 2012 7:27 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

sarumlight wrote:
[...]

For mats, torches, sleeping bags etc.. Alpkit are worth a look - nice people and great customer service.

Thumbs Up
(Wish they'd order larger quantities of their down coats & gilets; unfortunately seems to be an annual delivery that is quickly sold through.)
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #90130424th Feb 2012 10:18 pm
BournevilleBazza

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

Massive thumbs up for Thermarest mats from me. Expensive yes but I just break it down into how much you would be willing to pay for a warm, comfy nights sleep and how often it will be slept on in it's lifetime, multiply these together and see it figures.

Luckily I would pay £75 a night to sleep on mine twice! Rolling with laughter

Love the Oztent, we have the RV5 with Tagalong and side panels and it's like a small bungalow when it's all zipped up!
 If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!
2010 Discovery TDV6 HSE with a few bits and bobs on.
1986 V8 90 County
2012 Evoque TD4 (for the Mrs) and really VERY pleased!
Formerly BuckinghamBazza 

Post #90130524th Feb 2012 10:19 pm
chalky

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Andy Foster wrote:
It's not just about the gear you use but also the site you go to. One of the best sites I go to with mates or SWMBO is Great Langdale in The Lakes. It's a National Trust site with great facilities and 3 pubs within 10 minutes walk. Plus the walking great to.

Andy

PS Outwell tents top notch.

A massive +1 for Great Langdale ! Thumbs Up
 Only dead fish go with the Flow !  
Post #90134024th Feb 2012 11:18 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I have used a simple, cheap, easy to pitch Quecha pop up tent for years. My pop up 2 second tent was fine in Morocco until the sand storm hit, then no tent would have been suitable.

The other weekend, I was camping in the Peaks in sub zero in the pop up, no problems. I use a Thermarest, Its very comfy and warm, but was expensive. Very much worth it though. I have a Helsport 4 seasons sleeping bag (from RLD aka 'Uncle Ray') and it is superb.

I have a Coleman dual fuel lantern which is great, it also creates a lot of heat. I have a Kelly Kettle which can make tea when the gas has frozen in the jetboil. I have a Jetboil for other times. I have a 9.99 cassette cooker which works fine. It goes through quite a few gas canisters though.

Post #90135424th Feb 2012 11:38 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Like Gareth I've had a couple of the larger Quecha popups over the the last 5 years and I have to say that despite seeing all other comers ...I wouldn't have anything else Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #90135524th Feb 2012 11:43 pm
hotrocks

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

Aha... my line of business... I have worked full time int he outdoor industry for 22 years leading expeditions and running an outdoor company... if you want advice on the best kit for a particular application just PM me and I will soon tell you what works and what doesnt!

The short version in no particular order -

ALPKIT are cheap and good but as mentioned do sometimes run low on stock, however, they are realiable and will send it as soon as if its on back order. Their camp mats are a cheaper version of karimat and seem to work just as well.

That said, I have had a karimat for 20 years and it has never let me down - one bit of kit that has been to hell and back and never let me down - I got 'given' it by karimat to help promote their product on our expeds so I guess its earned its keep Laughing

Stove wise - go for a jet boil (single pot or cook set if you need more) on expedition as long as you are not going in the winter or to allitude (go for multi fuel if you are due to gas being crap in these conditions)

I usually use a barbeque for family/group cooking with the single gas canister stoves as a back up. Coleman make a camping cooked that folds down and fits on top of a gas burner if you need/have a base camp that is quite good.

Sleeping bag wise - I usually opt for anything that is not down (it makes me sneeze and is crap int he wet), snug pac have always been my fav as they pack down real small (top tip - take two 2 season bags on an expedition rather than a larger 3/4 season - easier to pack!).

Down jkts and the like - North Face are pretty good although Alp kit wins on price - the best bits of kit I have usually picked up in the bigger millets stores who seem to sometimes stock North Face etc at a sensible price.

The best tables I ever got were from WAKEFIELDS and are a simple fold up alloy topped camping table, the one's I got had fallen of the pallet on delivery and had a few dents so were going cheap but they were great. 10 years later and they are still going strong!

Base camp tents I usually get from bell tent UK as we use the modern lightweight bell tent as its cool.

Light weight tents you cant beat Hilleberg but you will pay for the quality!

Other items to consider (especially if vehicle based)

Kelly Kettle, coleman 3 way fridge and a gas power, portable shower!

Hope that helps

Post #90136025th Feb 2012 12:13 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >