output from phone (and voice tags) "tinny"
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
happymug

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
output from phone (and voice tags) "tinny"

Background info;

HSE - registered Jan 08
Phone - Sony Ericsson P1i - have checked compatibility on LR website (including sw revision) and also tried other handsets with similar results.
The problem is not the volume related one - have tried it at low volumes
No problems (that I have noticed) with phone book access etc

Since picking up my 2008 HSE a couple of weeks ago, the only disappointment has been the blue tooth phone kit which is fine at my end, but people at the other end tell me that at best I sound very tinny and at worst like an unintelligible Dalek in a dustbin. Now in fairness to the dealer, they have been trying to sort this out. 1st they thought it would be fixed with a software update - this proved not to be the case as was proved when I rang them while driving away after the sw update and they were unable to understand me! So next it was booked in for the hardware to be swapped. This was done while I waited, which was handy as I could try it out straight away. After many test calls from both my phone and the dealers we concluded it was slightly better, but still not good. This was confirmed by also making calls from a new vehicle and comparing with mine - the new vehicle definitely sounded better. I can't fault the guy trying to fix it - he was really helpful and tried things like swapping my mic with the one from the other vehicle to see if this was the problem, but to no avail. End result was I need to book it back in for a day - I think the plan is to swap everything from another vehicle that seems to work with my phone.

Today, I tried using the speech recognition stuff for the first time to control the audio kit / phone. Not a good experience. Interestingly, when it played back the names I recorded for radio stations and phone book entries, they sounded really tinny - could this be connected to the problem with outgoing speech quality on the phone or is that just what you would expect? Also after about 10 attempts at recording a phone number that I wanted to be able to voice dial I gave up. It was almost funny - I started trying to record a long series of digits, then due to the number of errors got shorter and shorter. In the end I would say "four four" and it would play back as "Zero four" - so is this a usual experience? Do others manage to use the voice recognition and could this be related to the tinny sound?

Any thoughts appreciated.
 (57) 2008 HSE  
Post #38138030th Nov 2008 11:44 pm
happymug

Just a thought - does the audio / navigation voice control and the mobile phone input (ie voice speaking in to the phone from the car) go through a common box somewhere - I assume they are both using the same mic so it must get split off to the mobile / audio / nav somewhere? Perhaps the Audio head unit? I am trying to think what might cause poor sound on both systems.
 (57) 2008 HSE  
Post #3835875th Dec 2008 12:06 pm
Hassle

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

This might be really obvious but the speaking voice bit it is in UK english mine was in american english and didn't understand a word I was saying. Changed it and it's been fine ever since as to the volume bit sorry I can't help

Post #3838435th Dec 2008 8:28 pm
happymug

Hassle wrote:
This might be really obvious but the speaking voice bit it is in UK English mine was in American English and didn't understand a word I was saying. Changed it and it's been fine ever since as to the volume bit sorry I can't help

Hassle - you were spot on, it was set to American English. Now I have changed it to UK English it is much improved on speech recognition! Thanks.

Still have the "tinny" problem - it has been with the dealer today, outgoing voice quality better than when I took delivery, but still not as good as an alternative vehicle I tried it from for comparison. Will have to talk to them tomorrow.
 (57) 2008 HSE  
Post #3851649th Dec 2008 1:27 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >