Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Overhanging branches - who’s responsible?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Overhanging branches - who’s responsible?

One of my trees at the back of my property is rather large. It’s a very mature (and healthy) Copper beech.

The neighbours at the back have been complaining that it blocks the sun from their garden. Initially he offered to have it taken down at his cost. I didn’t want to lose the tree, as it gives us privacy. So I said he could get it crowned and cut back professionally if he was prepared to pay.

He has now said he is only going to get the overhanging branches removed, nothing from the top, and is saying it’s my responsibility to pay for the disposal of the waste. Is this the case? I’m happy to pay, but just want to know if he is correct.

Post #233994820th Jun 2023 3:49 pm
al cope

England 

When our trees were overhanging the footpath the other side of our fence at the bottom of our garden we got a letter from the council telling us we had to have them cut back, at our cost (so obviously the cutting and removal)

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #233995020th Jun 2023 4:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Down&Dirty

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

He is correct he’s with in his rights to cut back to the boundary and should return the cuttings back to you (or dispose of as mutually agreed)
👍
 MY24 Defender 90 X-Dynamic HSE
MY18 Disco 5 HSE Santorini Black Now Gone. 

Post #233995120th Jun 2023 4:14 pm
MikeO

Scotland 

My understanding is they are within their rights to prune back to the boundary unless there is a TPO in place. Technically, what they remove belongs to you so they should offer it back. But you are under no obligation to accept it or dispose of it for them.
 2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
<gone>2009 FF Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue</gone>
<gone>2015 BMW 520D SE (not my favourite car)</gone>
<gone>2009 D3 HSE Galway Green</gone 

Post #233995220th Jun 2023 4:23 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

They aren't allowed to just throw the prunings back over the fence either. They are responsible for disposing of them unless you accept them being returned to you for disposal.

If there is a TPO or the tree is in a conservation area, appropriate planning permission will be required.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #233995420th Jun 2023 4:27 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Thanks. It’s all amicable, I just want to know if he is right. I’ve offered to pay £100 for his contractor to remove the branches.

Post #233995820th Jun 2023 4:49 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

The downside of only lopping one side it could throw the tree out of balance, if the tree is leaning slightly towards you or has heavy branches on your side it could come down in a storm, this could invalidate any insurance you may have.
My advice is to have it lightly lopped on your side to keep it in balance.
Another point it is illegal to do the job before September unless it is seen to be unsafe and although it does not have a TPO on it planning permission may be required.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #233995920th Jun 2023 5:31 pm
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

As Mike O says - they have to offer you the arisings, but you have no obligation to take them, should they decide to exercise their right to cut the tree back to their boundary line. However, in so doing theiy, or their contractor, has no right of access to either your land or the actual tree on your side of the boundary.

It might be more sensible to consider what arborists call a reduction - say removing 2m from the outer edge of the whole tree. That would keep the tree in symmetry/bakance/shape, but reduce the extent of its shadow. Beech can be prone to rootball failure so a reduction in mass might be no bad thing.
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE, 2013 MY D4 HSE and 2016 D4 SE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #233996020th Jun 2023 5:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >