Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Overland Preparation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
ralphhardwick

England 
Overland Preparation

Hello all, this is my first posting so please be gentle.

Before I pose my question I need to put a few things in context:

1. I do not have a Disco 3 or 4 (yet)
2. I have done 2 overland trips, one to Morocco (went horribly wrong) and one to Tunisia (went blindingly well) and we are going back to Morocco again next year (2012)
3. My current disco 1 won't last forever so I will be looking to replace it in the next 12 months or so.
4. It will be replaced with a Disco 3 Very Happy
5. I do have some idea how to prep a vehicle for travel (see the link in my signature)

Over a period of time I intend to prepare the new Disco 3 for a full blown overland trip to Mongolia (probably 5+ years away) with several other trips (Iceland for one) in between.

I know that many people will say that my current choice of a non-EDC 300tdi would be a better option but I like the idea of doing the trip in something newer.

What I have started this thread for is to try and asimilate information in one place on overland mods, spares, kit, tips, tricks and things to avoid when kitting a Disco 3 out for such a trip.

So far (mainly from this forum) I have found out about restricted roof loading, compressor overheating on corrogations and various diagnostic tools suitable for 're-programming' and fault finding. I know that you can fit an extended tank in the spare wheel well and mount them on the rear bumper. But I don't know which is the best tank to fit or who imports (where to buy) the wheel carrier(s) in the UK. Should I go for coils over air springs or is terrain response and air a better option. should I go for a SE (to programme the screen etc), HSE commercial or base model?
What falls off, what breaks, what spares should I take, how do you arrange a kitchen/fridge with a drop down tailgate, what are the tyre options? etc. etc.

So, for those of you that are so inclined, please share your thoughts on setting up a Disco 3 (or 4) for such a trip. If there is stuff in other threads please add the link.

Who knows this could turn into a usefull thread and save people (i.e. me) a lot of searching Very Happy

Thanks
Ralph
 Discovery 300Tdi
www.overland-rovers.com 

Post #81936021st Jul 2011 1:01 pm
Chicken Duck

Vatican 

Welcome here Ralph,good pics you have on that site Thumbs Up A Frontrunner roof rack is a good choice for such a trip

Post #81936421st Jul 2011 1:16 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Crikey Ralph, Re Morocco 2009, no offence mate, but make sure you don't go on a trip I'm in! Laughing
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #81937121st Jul 2011 2:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ralphhardwick

England 

Discoduck, thanks for the quick response and comment on the pics. It doesn't look like a frontrunner RR on the disco in your gallery Confused .

Why the frontrunner in particular? Do you know a good UK supplier?

Bodsy, I know what you mean, but have look at the Tunisia write up to see that I'm not a total Jonah Smile

Cheers

Ralph
 Discovery 300Tdi
www.overland-rovers.com 

Last edited by ralphhardwick on 21st Jul 2011 2:09 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #81937221st Jul 2011 2:08 pm
Popelka

Czech Republic 

you have forum links and ask questions here but you haven't linked to this forum yet!! Shocked

sorry I'm a supporter but dont own a LR so cant help, but this is the best place to be for info..good luck and welcome Thumbs Up
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #81937421st Jul 2011 2:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ralphhardwick

England 

Popelka
A valid point. My pages on the website are disco 1 orientated and I have only just decided (been given permission by SWMBO Embarassed ) to go for a Disco 3 as a replacement.

I shall add a link in the fullness of time.
 Discovery 300Tdi
www.overland-rovers.com 

Post #81937521st Jul 2011 2:11 pm
Sonic3d

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thats the funniest thing i`ve read for a long time Rolling with laughter (Morocco 2009)
 I can resist everything except TEMPTATION
Can Am Commander 1000XT
Seen the light and bought a 4Motion T5 

Post #81938621st Jul 2011 2:48 pm
DcNexus

Germany 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

might be interesting....

.discovery-parts.de
 some  
Post #81939021st Jul 2011 2:57 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Ralph Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #81939121st Jul 2011 3:01 pm
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Ralph

Count me in for the Mongolia trip Thumbs Up It's a bucket list item for me. Reference roof rack have a look at the Prospeed offering, I can vouch for it as I've had one on the top of my D4 for a while now and try as I might I can't find anything to moan about. Forum member Sonic is working on a swing-away rear wheel carrier for the D3/D4 so maybe drop him a pm. Regards to packing it will depend on what others in your group propose to bring i.e if there are 4 in the convoy you all don't have to have air jacks etc.

Did you go to the RGS overlanding Expo earlier this year?
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat
Club National Luna Stella conditioner 

Post #81939621st Jul 2011 3:11 pm
Chicken Duck

Vatican 

ralphhardwick wrote:
Discoduck, thanks for the quick response and comment on the pics. It doesn't look like a frontrunner RR on the disco in your gallery Confused .

Why the frontrunner in particular? Do you know a good UK supplier?

Ralph

I've got a G4 rack.Ok for over here with bits of camping gear on and the best looking(argueabley) but if i was to go were your going i would get a Front runner. All just my opinion of course but you read up on them on here. Lots of differing opinions Thumbs Up EDIT= ps you can fit a Foxwing awning on the front runner easy Thumbs Up Again i only have a cheap awning but going were your going pay the extra

Post #81940421st Jul 2011 3:22 pm
ralphhardwick

England 

Thanks for all the comments.
To help refine things a bit, here are my initial thoughts:

Base vehicle
Budget will be less that 15k. Low mileage will be preference over trim level although I would like a SE so that I can activate many of the 'info panel' bits and pieces. As the vast majority of the miles done will be on road I feel that the benefits of air suspension and TR outweigh the simplicity of the coils. I have heard horror stories about the air suspension on corrugations but I'm hoping that reprogramming with a MSV2 might prevent some of this. Please correct me if I'm wrong and bung in your own suggestions.

Roofrack
No preference yet but it sounds like frontrunner could be a 'front runner' here (excuse the pun). Looking for lightness. (Ent, I will have a look at the Prospeed and no I'm afraid I didn't manage to make the RGS weekend)

Roof tent
James Baroud Explorer (http://www.jamesbaroud.com/produits.html) it's in french. Because I like rooftents and the pop-up ones are easy and these french models get a better write up than the maggiolinas and have some better features. They are also only 49 kg.-ish I shall be swapping my Howling Moon for one of these for our Morocco trip next year.

Fuel
Extended tank in spare wheel well. Hoping to get some ideas on whats best and where to get them from on this site.

Wheels
Probably 17" alloys with Goodyear MTRs with 2 spares on rear wheel carrier. I have seen pictures of the Kaymar carrier but have no idea where to get them in the uk or if there is any other option (Ent I will PM Sonic once I have enough posts, cheers). I like the MTRs as I have them on my current disco and they have done some serious terrain and 45000 miles without a hitch and these are approved by LR. However I am open to new ideas.

Snorkel/RAI
Although I'm not keen on the looks it will probably be a safari because it is sealed whereas the LR/Mantec one is full of holes. Unless there are some other options I haven't found?

Awning
Although I like the foxwing concept, it will probably be another Hannibal. I have one of these already and it is so quick and easy to use (especially for lunch stops). This may have a bearing on the choice of roofrack. I may also consider a fiamma roll out jobby, once again because they are so easy.

Protection
I will want full underbody protection and I am looking for advice and inspiration here Very Happy

Diagnostics
Having read through the mammoth threads on here about the capabilities of the Faultmate MSV2, one of these will be in the tool box.

Yes I know that the RR, tent and awning will be over the 50Kg off road limit but I'm keeping it as low as reasonable and I know that ground tents can be better but I prefer a roof tent Smile

So there you are, a few starters for 10. Still interested to hear about suspension, spares, etc. etc.

Cheers

Ralph

PS, thanks for the comments about the Morocco trip. we're just hoping that 'Take 2' in March 2012 will be slightly better.
 Discovery 300Tdi
www.overland-rovers.com 

Last edited by ralphhardwick on 21st Jul 2011 4:21 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #81943421st Jul 2011 4:14 pm
Sonic3d

Why not just use a pair of Rhino bars for the tent and awning, with that tent you will completely cover the rack anyway.
Can Am Commander 1000XT

Post #81943621st Jul 2011 4:18 pm
ralphhardwick

England 

Sonic3d. Roof bars could be an option if I can fit and awning to them. I will have a google and see.

Thanks for the idea.

Ralph

Oh and thanks to the moderator for moving the thread to a more appropriate board. Thumbs Up
 Discovery 300Tdi
www.overland-rovers.com 

Last edited by ralphhardwick on 21st Jul 2011 4:27 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #81943721st Jul 2011 4:22 pm
Sonic3d

Boab do several options to fit an awning to roof bars Thumbs Up
Can Am Commander 1000XT

Post #81943921st Jul 2011 4:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top