Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Oztent lookalike
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Mark Y

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4
Oztent lookalike

Has anyone any knowledge of these tents, from Cornwall, they are very open that they are based on Australian tents, but cheaper Question

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ink:top:en

Post #107734424th Mar 2013 5:58 pm
dr_neil

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Quote:
Based on a well known Australian quick tent but with UK spec material and price tag

Quote:
we have sole rights to this product at this spec through the DTI

I'd rather buy a used Oztent and have the real thing rather than a copy.

Confused over the DTI line. Is this a licensed version? Will the OZtent bits zip onto it?
 D3 HSE
Mole: Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE
Badger: D1 200TDi Long Wheel Base (the prototype Wink )

http://www.teamtoad.org 

Post #107741324th Mar 2013 7:02 pm
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

OK, I could be accused of being biased as we sell the GENUINE Oztents.

YES I have inspected one of these tents and yes they are cheaper then GENUINE Oztents.

However there is an extremely good reason why they are cheaper! In one word QUALITY

It is interesting to compare the claims on his various ads

ebay ad

Quote:

made from a 280GSM UK spec rip stop canvas,

From website

Quote:

Premium quality high denier PVC backed ripstop cotton body shell.

Now what material is it made from.

PVC fabric is waterproof but is not very breathable which is important for a single skin tent

Quote:

Unlike some companies, we do not build to order or drop sell from suppliers, we carry stock of our items and have 5 of these fantastic admin tents available for immediate dispatch or collection.

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Sorry yes he does have a good stock of tents. We have just a few more in stock of the genuine Oztents in stock Razz Let alone a comprehensive range of accessories including Foxwing awnings, flysheets, furniture etc

[quote]

We are the sole supplier within the UK and Europe and although others are out there, they are not of the same quality, how do we know? the answer is simple, we have sole rights to this product at this spec through the DTI.

[quote]

NO they are not. I know of other companies selling these.

DTI? Now what is the DTI Department of Trade and Industry by any chance? Sorry somehow I do not believe that the DTI give out sole EUROPEAN import rights on any goods. That is not their remit.

Normally there are very good reasons why things are cheaper then the genuine articles and in my opinion this is no exception.

OK yes I could be accused of being biased but this is just another example of a copy/knock off/pass off trying to gain sales by referring to the genuine article. I would say this is a case of buyer beware.

Brendan

Post #107744024th Mar 2013 7:28 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Oh dear.
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #107748324th Mar 2013 8:11 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

It depends what you are looking for. Without being biased (i have an OZ Tent RV 3 and 4 plus panels etc) these tents are OK. I've seen them and they are fine. I'm contemplating buying one of their roof tents. I was really impressed with them.

They're a small British company filling a gap for those that don't want to pay the crazy OZ tent prices.

Post #107753224th Mar 2013 8:53 pm
geoff.

England 

I've seen these tents and like moo says there not as bad as some people like to make out Thumbs Up

Post #107753524th Mar 2013 8:59 pm
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Well if you know where to look these tents are available for less then £300 and that is retail including VAT.

Another Oztent product which has been ripped off is the Foxwing. Now we have been offered these rip offs so are fully aware of the prices involved. Putting it bluntly we would make a lot more money selling the knock offs at a much lower price then we do make selling the genuine ones.

There is a good reason why we sell genuine Oztents and other products.

Brendan

Post #107756324th Mar 2013 9:34 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

There's a market for everyone whether its high end branded items or non branded commodity items. At the end of the day its what suits someone's needs and budgets.

Personally, bearing in mind the age and technology in the OZ Tent, I think they are a rip off. If other products come to market and give them some competition then surely that is good for everyone.i.e. we get a better deal and OZ Tent is forced to innovate and improve.

Brendan, if you can shift these cheaper products and make a lot of money then perhaps you should revisit your business model and aim to target both ends of the market?

Post #107758824th Mar 2013 10:13 pm
Mark Y

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Copying is the best form of flattery Laughing

Isn't that what Oztent did with the jet tent, didn't they copy the Blackwolf Turbo range of tents Question
This is a Blackwolf Turbo

This is Oztent Jet tent without the fly cover

Post #107794225th Mar 2013 6:46 pm
leeds

Interestingly both the Jet Tent by Oztent and the Black Wolf Turbo tents have actual patents or patents pending.

Oztents have patents on their Oztents and Foxwings

Now where are the patents on the cheap chinese copies of the Oztent and Foxwings?

Brendan

Post #107797225th Mar 2013 7:31 pm
geoff.

England 

patents pending Rolling with laughter

Post #107797925th Mar 2013 7:34 pm
InnuendoMaster

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I see it as you buy what suits you and you're pocket. I'm certainly in the market for something like a Foxwing type awning and side panels, but I'm looking at nearly 1k for something I'm going to use at media events probably 2-3 times a year. I think I'll rethink my options

Post #107804825th Mar 2013 8:55 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If you are going to use a lot or plan to keep it for some time what ever you get use it for 2 weeks a year or 1 week with a family it is a cheep holiday and you have something left at the end and you may enjoy it
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #107805425th Mar 2013 9:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pikeykev

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

I have a RV-4 which was expensive, but if it burnt down tomorrow I know what I would be replacing it with. Another Oztent These things are awesome. You can keep the cheap imposters.

As to innovation, this often means finding cheaper ways to build the same to maximise profit and usually results in an inferior product. If it aint broke, don't fix it!

That said, a groundsheet and a couple of branches is great if that's all you can afford and there does need to be options at all points of the market. So providing people see these tents for what they are and buy with eyes open then I see no harm.
 Kevin

2008 TDV6 HSE ( Llams unit, Winch in garage waiting to fit!)
110 TD5 G4 Rack, winch, hd springs, snorkel, tree sliders, re-mapped 

Post #107865226th Mar 2013 10:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >