Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Paint Protection
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Paint Protection

I've noticed that several people have mentioned that they have "Paint Protection".
Is this the normal main dealer (any marque) DiamondBrite etc. type of treatment or a specific L/R product?
I'm hoping to get a TDV6 HSE at the end of the 1st quarter & I'm wary of taking it down narrow tracks etc. as it will be the most expensive vehicle I've been off road in & I'm keen to avoid minor scratches from brambles etc!

Post #3804918th Jan 2006 5:12 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Mine was dealer applied stuff, and it works well preventing laning scratches

Post #3805118th Jan 2006 5:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks, I'm keen to find out if it's the Diamondbrite type treatment as this is only affective if properly applied & also costs very little, but main dealers often quote c.£250!

Post #3805218th Jan 2006 5:27 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The warranty that comes with it is on valid is applied by an approved agent, i.e. a dealer
£250 is cheap, especially if that's without haggling, my dealer quoted £399 + VAT then instanty dropped that to £275 inc VAT when I he saw the look I gave him!
I'm very pleased with it and recommend getting it. Don't forget it removes the need to polish which I can imagine could take a while on a D3!
 The End  
Post #3805418th Jan 2006 6:27 pm
LT

Thanks Slimer, Is it a L/R specific product or the Diamondbrite type treatment?

Post #3805518th Jan 2006 6:30 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I've got the Jewelultra Diamondbrite stuff which apparently is one of the best. At a guess it varies by dealer what they offer, there isn't a LR specific one AFAIK
 The End  
Post #3805818th Jan 2006 6:47 pm
LT

Thanks Slimer, Diamondbrite, Supagard, Ultrashield etc. typically costs a Valeter or dealer approx. £20. you pay for the labour to apply it of course.
The correct application procedure is vitally important, which is why this type of treatment is sometimes rubbished by disgruntled purchasers.
Diamondbrite kits on ebay, start at approx. £9.99. for those who want to have a go at DIY.
I'm also interested in the "stick on" film protector for the Disco3 as I imagine the front must be vulnerable to Stone Chips. I've had this on a previous car & it did the job very well.
Anyone recommend a supplier of this type of product for the Disco?

Post #3806418th Jan 2006 7:13 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Sounds like you want the Venture Shield stuff, there's a few posts over on RRSport about it http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1196
 The End  
Post #3807018th Jan 2006 8:42 pm
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Protec magnet...

There's also that product...

http://www.protec-magnet.com/PMlandrover/landrover.html

Basically it seems that this is a removable magnetic protection... Seems the hood is alloy and cannot be protected that way though...

Don't know if you can find it on the other way of the channel... Wink

Post #3807218th Jan 2006 9:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have used both the main types of paint protection, Supagard and Diamondbrite.
In my opinion Diamondbrite is by the better product.
I do question whether in paying the dealer these large amounts that you are getting a better job.
I sat in a dealership one day watching the "valeter" carry out a Supagard paint treatment on a R Rover. The Supagard sponge had certainly been used a least once before if not more (only meant to do one car), the little sticker he stuck on the window at the end was new though! £399 thankyou very much sir!

If you get the kits from ebay and follow the instructions but exceed the times stated (little tip) you will get very good results and you will probably take more care than the dealers "valeter".

From now on I will not trust the dealers valeter to touch my car as he managed to get polish on many bits of the vinyl trim at the pdi and the other week when he "washed it" he must have had all the mud and grit left on his sponge from the previous car, result mine has lovely swirly "wash" scratches all down the sides and back (he didn't wash the bonnet!)

If you want a perfectionists finish for your paintwork check out Zaino, an American system, intially quite hard work but a fabulous finish.
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #3808418th Jan 2006 10:30 pm
BN

England 

One LR dealer was caught cheating on special protection finishes. The cleaner polished the car with normal polish and sold the real stuff on the net. The customer happily paid the £399 for it unknowingly, nasty.

Don't forget if you do have it done do not use any other car cleaner that has anything like meths in it or similar, it cleans it off.

Post #3809018th Jan 2006 10:38 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Even if they use the proper Diamondbrite on the car you can quite easily get 3 whole cars from 1 pack, so straight away 2 packs go onto the internet!
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #3809618th Jan 2006 10:44 pm
gavmurray

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Cliff H wrote:

From now on I will not trust the dealers valeter to touch my car as he managed to get polish on many bits of the vinyl trim at the pdi and the other week when he "washed it" he must have had all the mud and grit left on his sponge from the previous car, result mine has lovely swirly "wash" scratches all down the sides and back (he didn't wash the bonnet!)

Who was the dealer?
 Gavin.
06, D3 TDV6 HSE, Buck Blue 

Post #3815819th Jan 2006 2:49 pm
rsp

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Paint Protection

I also have the need to reduce the number of scratches from travelling down overgrown tracks and was wondering which of the various Zaino produces was recommended to reduce scratching. From what I can see the most likely one seems to be Zinao Z2 Pro? It also seems that Zaino ZFX Flash Curing Additive would help.
 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE, Auto, White, Rear Diff Lock. ARB BB, Traxide DBS, GME TX3540S, Safari Snorkel, IIDTool-BT, Doran TPMS, Rijidij Spare Wheel Carrier, Two side by side Drifta drawers, cargo barrier and drop down fridge slide, ARB 47l Fridge, Yokohama A/Ts and out of date 17" Cooper STTs.  
Post #3819119th Jan 2006 9:28 pm
LT

Thanks everyone, seems to me that DIY is the safest option unless you know or can be recommended a really good valeter, if you're going for something like Diamondbrite.
I thought the magnetic panels looked interesting, good idea for "laning".

Post #3819319th Jan 2006 9:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >