Paintwork Swirl Removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
C6REW

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Paintwork Swirl Removal

Someone on this thread mentioned the detailing website:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk

Which is a mine of information. Yesterday I went to a meeting in Ferndown where experienced members explained various cleaning and polishing techniques.

The black Disco3 is a harborer of swirls, particularly when the garage get to wash it! Not any more with mine at pain of death!

I have started using the Detailing web site method of washing the car which includes a pre wash using a foam from a gun then a two bucket wash, one with a washing fluid and one for rinsing a woolen mitten. The car is then washed and rinsed and sprayed with a product called QD (quick detailer) which helps to make the water run off. You then pat dry the car with a special cloth called a Waffle Weave. This alone is an interesting experience as the amount of muck you get in the rinse bucket is incredible and in the past using the good old fashioned method of a chamois, you would be grinding all that muck back into the car and producing - swirls!

So if like me you buy a car that has already had this bad treatment you have to get to the next stage - which is polishing but not as we know it Jim!

At the meeting yesterday I asked if one of the guys could demonstrate the use of a PC (porta cable) polisher, which he did using a Meguiars polish. So he masked off the area and polished. Five minutes later using a xenon torch you can see very clearly the before and after.

https://s3-eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/i.hubnu...2bfdb0.jpg

You cannot always see the swirls under normal light, but I am sure you have all experienced that horrible feeling having washed the car and then the sun just catches it at the right angle and wow, look how bad that is!

So I have on order a PC with pads and polishes. Looking forward to getting rid of the swirls on my Disco and then tackling the Winnebago.

Regards

Chris

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #14854316th Apr 2007 8:55 am
Hampstead

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Wow - you sound as anal about cleaning as me!

Luckily I've discovered a valeting chap who cleans my car every Friday for a tenner. He's there for an hour and a half and his work is superb.

He's saving me a furtune in new fangled cleaning products - before I found him, I would have been emulating your purchase too.

Post #15270527th Apr 2007 4:26 pm
Ken

A quick and easy way to mask swirls is to use colour magic or the like, the other methods suggested may do more harm than good, let the pros do it trust me a few on this site have and they are happy with the results Razz

Post #15271927th Apr 2007 7:15 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Whistle
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #15272027th Apr 2007 7:16 pm
C6REW

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Err too late guys,

Bought the kit including a PC and will be having fun with the D3 and Winnebago over the weekend.

Chris

Post #15274627th Apr 2007 8:58 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Shocked
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #15275627th Apr 2007 9:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Chris,

Good to see you are spreading the pc gospel Laughing

The technique takes a bit of time to refine, try not to worry if you do not get 100% correction first time, it will still look fantastic.

BTW Autoglym SRP is a very good polish for 'hiding / filling' swirls for those of you that only want to give your car a 'hand job' Shocked Laughing

Cliff
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #15276527th Apr 2007 10:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ken

Good luck but be careful (swirls easy scratches well I'll leave that up to you too decide)

And yes Autoglym have some cracking gear in the retail range, even better in the pro range and 3m also

Post #15280928th Apr 2007 9:07 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >