Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Park brake - car rolls forward after application
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
doubledoom

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Park brake - car rolls forward after application

I have a 2011MY D4. Earlier this year, the car started to creep forward when the park brake was on but still in drive gear. It would do it on a hill or in the wet to begin with. It has been in to the dealership three times and still suffers the problem despite a range of attempted fixes. The situation has improved in that it is now intermittent and when it does happen, it creeps forward about 18 inches (often groaning as if the brake is partly connected) and then will catch and work as it should. The rest of the time it applies as it should.

The dealership are now trying to persuade me that this is normal behaviour. However, after three years of ownership, I know it isnt. A small amount of body movement maybe but not the actual wheels moving about 18 inches.

The dealership have fitted new actuators and new shoes.

The dealership are out of ideas. The fact it is intermittent is a problem as it is hard to demonstrate. Can anyone think what could cause the car to roll forward about 18 inches and then the brake catches (particularly in the wet or downhill - but not exclusively those - often it will do it the first time it is used that day but not again thereafter during that use)

Post #115637212th Sep 2013 8:48 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I'll give it a go for you but why would you want to hold the car in gear against the EPB?
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #115637912th Sep 2013 9:13 am
Robbie

Never tried this before but on the flat and in dry conditions my car stayed still in H1, L1 and R. Made quite a few groans as the force shifted around from normal brakes to the EPB shoes.

(I am also conscious of the additional braking features on later D4s (after braking on a steep hill it will stay still with normal brakes applied even when you take your foot off the brake pedal); given the groaning and shifting of the car I am pretty sure this was not activated!)

The EPB is a tiny set of shoes in a drum and it would not surprise me that when wet they would grip less. With torque from the engine, a slope and reduced friction I can see how it would move erratically.

The EPB applies additional force when in Low to overcome the extra applied torque - have you tried it in this mode?

Diagnostics for:

Post #115638712th Sep 2013 9:26 am
doubledoom

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Robbie wrote:
I'll give it a go for you but why would you want to hold the car in gear against the EPB?

You get to traffic lights (Or a junction or roundabout, traffic jam etc) and put the EPB for example. Take your foot off the foot brake and that is when it creeps forward.

We are not talking steep hills. Indeed, it will do it on slight uphills at times. The strange bit is that is that when it creeps forward it will catch at a given point. It doesnt keep going. It has appears to have a set amount of travel before it will cut in.

I will give the EPB a go in Low to see what happens.

Post #115639912th Sep 2013 9:56 am
Robbie

I'm not sure that is the best thing for the transmission as everything is torqued up; although there is nothing to prohibit it and its not going to help your mpg either. Its design is more for a drive-away function than a recognised means of parking at the lights.

With the brake pedal switch activated most, but not all, load is taken from the TC when stopped. To remove the last bit of load you have to select N (or P).

Diagnostics for:

Post #115641012th Sep 2013 10:11 am
MikeS2005

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
hand brake creep

This could be a software issue, if the vehicle is warm and you have had the car out the electronic handbrake should auto adjust the amount of torque required to keep the vehicle still when the shoes and drum contract due to cooling , there are a few other manufacturers having this problem at the moment and one has had a recall for this problem, Im not 100% sure but I think it was vauxhall customer came out to find his/her car at the bottom of a hill embedded in a wall.
it was found to be a software fault and the electric handbrake wasnt appling the correct pressure
Maybe get them to check this
cheers

Post #115655212th Sep 2013 3:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robbie

The D3 design is not known for this but as Mike says the auto-tension monitors the system and if it goes too slack or too tight for the given mode it does self adjust. To save power this feature shuts down 20 min after last application.

What you may be experiencing when the vehicle stops itself is the 'failsafe tighten' which, if it detects movement, applies maximum force until the next ignition cycle. It's also why D3s don't wonder off into walls like the lesser cars.

Thumbs Up

Diagnostics for:

Post #115656512th Sep 2013 3:34 pm
LiftedDisco

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

I have had the very same issue with a 2010MY - as you say, you come to a halt, apply the handbrake and then the groan and gradual movement...

Had happened a couple of times at lights etc and then also happened whilst going through the drive through part of a well known burger chain... paused to sort out the loose change from the cup holders and all of a sudden we're moving...

Embarassed

Cue much abuse from the Fun Prevention Officer....

Not sure what my dealer did to cure it but they suggested the pads weren't 'seating properly'. I have a sneaky feeling (given comments from the service manager) that it was a case of run it up the road and apply handbrake... done a couple of times, just to be sure.

Seems OK now!
 D4 Commercial - 65 Plate, 2016MY

D5 Commercial - Handed back when I left that job…
D4 Commercial (2014MY) - gone
D4 Commercial SDV6 - Baltic Blue (also gone)
D1 300TDi... 2" lift, HD bumpers (both), detachable tow hitch, 9,500lb winch, 235/85/16 muds and plenty of other toys (gone to make way for the next toy...)

Smiles per Mile - Tornado Motorsports caged Evo 3... 100" Defender look-alike, with Range Rover running gear - all fully IVA'd and registered! 

Post #115705213th Sep 2013 2:33 pm
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

What is " N " on gearbox for Laughing

Post #115709813th Sep 2013 3:45 pm
Washwipe

England 

N = night time driving
D = for daytime driving
(Sound needed)

Post #115712313th Sep 2013 5:00 pm
Maxarn58

Sweden 

As lifted Disco mentioned, it might be that the brakeshoes isn´t
embedded properly?

When shoes (or disc) is changed, You must go through the embedding procedure.

This i have "stolen" from Bodsys brake bible:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...ssPics.pdf

You need to bed in the EPB shoes either when you have changed the EPB shoes or you have
changed the rear discs.
With the Engine running, press the brake pedal fully on and off 3 times. On the third press, hold
the brake pedal down.
With the brake pedal still in the down position, pull the EPB switch upwards 4 times and then
downwards 3 times. This must be completed within 10 seconds.
Your dash display will then show ‘Park Brake Bedding Cycle Active’ or something similar. If it
hasn’t, then release the brake pedal and try again.
You need to ensure that you are on a clear piece of road or land as this procedure needs to be
completed 10 times.
Drive at least 19mph and maximum of 29mph and then apply the EPB switch until you stop. You
then need to wait for 60 seconds or drive for 500metres (to allow the brakes to cool down) before
repeating the process. If you stop the engine or you drive over 30 MPH, the bedding in process will
be cancelled. At the end of the 10th time, the bedding in mode may automatically finish, or you
should just drive more than 30mph or cycle the ignition.

I hope that this might give You a Little help.

And a big thanks to Bodsy for doing a great job. Bow down

Rgds

Uffe
 RRS MY2006 HST
As a rule, I always resist temptations,
unless they are irresistible!! 

Post #115730213th Sep 2013 11:17 pm
Mother Theresa

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Mine has done this since I bought it new 18m ago, I just assumed it was a crap system.

Post #115838616th Sep 2013 6:07 pm
outofyorkshire

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Tried this on my MY10 tonight out of curiosity as I must admit that I always select 'N' at lights etc.

Anyway pulled up at the lights, put on park brake & lifted my foot off pedal....nothing car just stayed put Very Happy Very Happy

My car had new rear discs 6 months ago (fitted by me!) and shoes were adjusted and bedded as per Bodsy's brake bible Whistle so looks to me to be an adjustment / bedding issue if your D4 doesn't stay put Thumbs Up

just saying Whistle
 Cheers Ian
Massey Ferguson 400 FIS AGTV - Arctic Cat by any other name...
Citroen C3 Picasso for SWMBO so we can remember what fuel economy is!!
Member of the Narpy torch club 

Post #115841816th Sep 2013 7:09 pm
Maxxed_Ross

Scotland 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Apologies for dragging up an old thread - but it was the only one I could find with a decent discussion on the matter

After having the previous Audi A6, which automatically applied the hand brake when sitting at lights / on a hill ect, I've been doing the same thing in the D4 by manually applying the brake

Once or twice if has started to creep forward... mostly at the start of the journey. Is this an issue with the brake shoes?

Reason I ask is that it's just been purchased from a main dealer and is due to go back in for some other faults, should I get them to look at this too?
 2013 Discovery 4 HSE Lux | 2001 Defender 90 TD5 | 2007 Prodrive RB320  
Post #19432117th May 2018 7:43 pm
dgarside

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I’m having exactly same problem and dealer can’t find anything wrong. Would be great to know what you find although as others have said i now select N when applying EPB.
 RLD CB Bracket
RLD Spare Wheel Protector
RLD Sump Protector
ProSpeed Compressor Cover
TPMS Retrofit
Range Rover Digital Dash Upgrade
Tesla Style Android Screen Upgrade 

Post #19432317th May 2018 9:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >