Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Parking brake shoes too tight in the disk... and the fix!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ostosix

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Parking brake shoes too tight in the disk... and the fix!

Hi folks,

Had some trouble with a rear brake squeaking and binding on. Only around six months ago I had new pads and disks replaced upto the V8 size. The work was carried out by a "master mechanic"and all that mumbo jumbo as part of a favour by rimmer bros to use my truck to make a video.

Before any EPB issues arose I thought I better take the disk off and have a look. The disk looked toasted and the pad was crumbled at the edges from excessive heat. Inside it looked like original 2005 LR brake shoes, the adjuster had never been unscrewed and the mechanism was completely rusted up. It looks like the chap had got the disk on over the original shoes and left it adjusted at the minimum because they dragged in that position. Since then heat had been building up. The parking brake did operate ok until recently and had no issues but was constantly touching the disk.

I decided to replace all with OEM Britpart shoes supplied by Rimmer Bros. On fitting I found that the mounted shoes were too large to fit in the disk even with the cogged barrel wound completely back in and the lip from previous wear ground off the disk. Although it says online and indeed the bodsy bible they may be hard to get on and take tapping with a mallet and rotating the disk, this was another level. I got so far on and the shoe's were misaligned and the disk was locked solid! This was defo not right. I tried everything making sure all was central, tapping, levering, no chance.

It was 8 at night and just above zero! I decided to shorten the adjustment barrel by 4mm, both the barrel body and the adjustment thread. It doesn't work unless you do both parts. I did this with the angle grinder and finished with a file. Deburred and re lubed.

Putting it back on, the disk went on a treat, allowed the setting up procedure(in the BB bible) and the disk rotated giving me confidence there was no dragging.

Although everybody says its hard to get them on, there is a limit, people need to be aware that something maybe wrong if it isn't easy. I've never done other brake shoes that aren't easy when they are adjusted down to minimum. I would recommend using the manufacturer of the shoes own brake barrel. I presume the Britpart item must shorter? But buying those small parts does add up so maybe for the best to use LR parts although they are vastly more exspensive.

Or on the other hand just be ready to shorten the adjustment barrel as I did, the difference was astonishing.

Hope someone finds this useful.

Post #212026311th Feb 2020 2:19 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

This is where the EPB mount position via diagnostics pays dividends. Would have saved all the hassle Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #212035511th Feb 2020 6:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ostosix

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Yeah i wasn’t aware of that but the cable wasn’t pulling on the operating lever at all?

Post #212035911th Feb 2020 7:12 pm
Class—

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Disco Mikes are you saying the epb could have been loosened via the iid tool, thus negating the need for new pads?Or are you saying it would have made the fitting of the new pads easier? Or are you saying there is some physical bolts that you take off to move the actual epb along some mounts?
Sorry if these are ridiculously stupid question but I’m a newbie.

Thanks

Post #212036111th Feb 2020 7:14 pm
Disco_Mikey

ostosix wrote:
Yeah i wasn’t aware of that but the cable wasn’t pulling on the operating lever at all?

The module doesn't fully unwind when you release the EPB

When the shoes are seized, the cables are not at their full length, and need unwound to allow fitting of the shoes and discs

Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #212036411th Feb 2020 7:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

Class— wrote:
Disco Mikes are you saying the epb could have been loosened via the iid tool, thus negating the need for new pads?Or are you saying it would have made the fitting of the new pads easier? Or are you saying there is some physical bolts that you take off to move the actual epb along some mounts?
Sorry if these are ridiculously stupid question but I’m a newbie.

Thanks

It's a diagnostic procedure to fully unwind the cables to aid fitting
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #212036511th Feb 2020 7:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >