Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Parking Sensors and Towing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Pelyma

England 

Update: I’m now being told that my car has TPMS that doesn’t read tyre pressure it reads wheel speed to determine if the tyre is low pressure and that the manual is a generic one and not applicable to my car. If I want the parking sensor issue resolved then I have to tow a trailer there as they can’t tell if it’s been correctly enabled without one. Does any of this sound reasonable? I’m getting a serious sense of humour failure.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #18871776th Dec 2017 8:17 am
OJ

Scotland 

Not sure i agree with what they are saying, a TPMs is exactly that, it should read pressures in the tyres, as for the parking sensors surely they must have a trailer board or diagnostic plug the could attach to your car to test it.
It sounds like waffle to me, do you have another dealer nearby you can ask? Or a local forum member with an IDII tool that can check you cars settings.
Out of interest do you have a switch on your centre consul that turns off the parking sensors temporarily.
OJ

Post #18872736th Dec 2017 1:27 pm
Pelyma

England 

I think they are Censored Censored and talking out of their Censored . The valve on my wheels are the TPMS ones as shown in the manual which says it should monitor the pressure.

Yes the car has the manual switch to disable the pic, but I shouldn't have to do that.

As far as local dealers my closest is Harwoods Chichester which is a Jaguar dealer but does LR as well, but I don't know anyone who has used them. The next closest is Harwoods Pulborough and had issues in the past such as not screwing bits back on and leaving inspection lights in the engine bay.

The sad thing is that when it was Guava the service was brilliant, now Hunters have taken over the decent staff have left or are leaving, the cost has gone up and the poor reputation of Hunters Guildford is well earned here Big Cry

Just not sure if I should take this further or go elsewhere as it is all under warranty anyway.

Post #18872856th Dec 2017 2:06 pm
JackNorris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

My electrics didn’t work, also left sensors on, and it was fixed without me towing a trailer there.

And I’m sure that 16 Graphite and 16 Landmark would have same TPMS

Do they have any landmarks on their forecourt?
 MY2023 Discovery 5 R-Dynamic 3.0
MY2020 Discovery 5 Landmark 3.0 - SOLD
MY2005 Discovery 3 V8 4.4 HSE - SOLD
MY2019 Discovery 5 SE 3.0 - LR Replaced !
MY2005 Discovery 3 S 2.7 - SOLD
MY2016 Discovery 4 Graphite - SOLD
MY2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech - SOLD 

Post #18872916th Dec 2017 2:22 pm
OJ

Scotland 

Pelyma wrote:
I think they are Censored Censored and talking out of their Censored . The valve on my wheels are the TPMS ones as shown in the manual which says it should monitor the pressure.

Yes the car has the manual switch to disable the pic, but I shouldn't have to do that.

As far as local dealers my closest is Harwoods Chichester which is a Jaguar dealer but does LR as well, but I don't know anyone who has used them. The next closest is Harwoods Pulborough and had issues in the past such as not screwing bits back on and leaving inspection lights in the engine bay.

The sad thing is that when it was Guava the service was brilliant, now Hunters have taken over the decent staff have left or are leaving, the cost has gone up and the poor reputation of Hunters Guildford is well earned here Big Cry

Just not sure if I should take this further or go elsewhere as it is all under warranty anyway.

It was out of curiosity i was asking about the switch, I wasn’t suggesting you use this, I agree yes you need to get your system fixed properly, I checked my car and in the CCF it has to have tow towbar fitted setting enabled which I presume cancels the reverse sensor array when the trailer is plugged in to the car.
Personally as your in warranty I would find another knowledgeable dealer as the idiots you are dealing with obviously know very little and I wouldn’t trust them to work on the car in future.
OJ

Post #18872936th Dec 2017 2:37 pm
Oswiperus
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I've have a 2016 Lux adblue model, the sensors disable when towing and the TPMS displays the tyre pressures. As for towing a trailer to the dealers...they must be taking the Censored , unbelievable!
 Stu

2016 D4 Landmark current
2022 Defender D300 SE Gone Sad
D4 2014 XS Commercial - Gone Sad
D4 2016 hse lux montalcino red - Gone
D3 2005 se java black - current
D3 2005 base manual - gone Sad
D2 1999 TD5 E white - current 

Post #18872966th Dec 2017 2:46 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Washwipe wrote:
Have all the above, they don’t.
Three visits to the dealer, nothing wrong, correctly fitted and enabled.

If they are, why is there the facility in the central screen to turn them off for towing where the settings for the Reversing Guide Lines and Warning Bars for the sensors. Question

Click image to enlarge

The screen you are showing is for "hitch assist", the demonstration I was given(I don't own one yet) is: press the the top two boxes on the right to disable, the press the bottom right box to switch "hitch assist" on, the bottom right box should not be visible unless you have hitch assist, hitch assist gives one single guide line from the tow bar to the trailer tow bar and the trailer end is adjusted by the steering wheel, when you are about one metre from the trailer hitch the camera zooms down onto the tow bar, very, very impressive, a must have for anyone who tows.
I don't know how it works or if it can simply be enabled in the CCF.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #18872976th Dec 2017 2:52 pm
JackNorris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Could you not find a very large trailer and take that? Would be a shame if it blocked their forecourt....
 MY2023 Discovery 5 R-Dynamic 3.0
MY2020 Discovery 5 Landmark 3.0 - SOLD
MY2005 Discovery 3 V8 4.4 HSE - SOLD
MY2019 Discovery 5 SE 3.0 - LR Replaced !
MY2005 Discovery 3 S 2.7 - SOLD
MY2016 Discovery 4 Graphite - SOLD
MY2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech - SOLD 

Post #18872996th Dec 2017 2:54 pm
Pelyma

England 

Mine has that, works very well Thumbs Up

Post #18873006th Dec 2017 2:55 pm
jonno1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

My MY 2014 has TPMS that only indicate low pressures. I know the manual says otherwise but I think the better ones didn’t arrive until the following model year.

Post #18873046th Dec 2017 3:10 pm
Washwipe

England 

M3DPO wrote:
Washwipe wrote:
Have all the above, they don’t.
Three visits to the dealer, nothing wrong, correctly fitted and enabled.

If they are, why is there the facility in the central screen to turn them off for towing where the settings for the Reversing Guide Lines and Warning Bars for the sensors. Question

Click image to enlarge

The screen you are showing is for "hitch assist", the demonstration I was given(I don't own one yet) is: press the the top two boxes on the right to disable, the press the bottom right box to switch "hitch assist" on, the bottom right box should not be visible unless you have hitch assist, hitch assist gives one single guide line from the tow bar to the trailer tow bar and the trailer end is adjusted by the steering wheel, when you are about one metre from the trailer hitch the camera zooms down onto the tow bar, very, very impressive, a must have for anyone who tows.

I don't know how it works or if it can simply be enabled in the CCF.

I don't have Hitch Assist, but partial Hitch Assist can be enabled with the IID Tool Wink

You add the Trailer Box with the IID Tool which gives you the guide line from the Towball to the hitch on the trailer moved with the turning of the steering wheel, then when your around half a metre from the hitch it zooms in.
With the IID Tool, go into the Towing setup, with the relevant 13pin or 7pin ticked also tick the "Towball Fitted" this will give you partial hitch Assist. Then you will have the Trailer Box on the display and you choose what you want, Sensors, guide lines or Trailer.

Post #18873076th Dec 2017 3:13 pm
Pelyma

England 

jonno1 wrote:
My MY 2014 has TPMS that only indicate low pressures. I know the manual says otherwise but I think the better ones didn’t arrive until the following model year.

What does that look like on the centre screen?

Post #18873096th Dec 2017 3:37 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

I had an issue with mine when I first bought it. If I hitched up and plugged in with the engine running, whenever I selected 'N' or 'P' the reversing sensors went off. I was assured by my dealership that the car was correctly enabled for towing and it was actually a safety feature as you should only connect the electrics with the engine switched off, which to be fair did stop the reversing sensors going off.

However when I got my IID tool, I discovered that 'Trailer Module - Not Fitted' was the default setting ? Once I changed that to 'Trailer Module- 13 pin electrics' I can hitch up with the engine running without the sensors going off. Why didn't the Dealership do that instead of coming out with the 'safety feature' story ??

Post #18873116th Dec 2017 3:55 pm
jonno1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

As far as I remember you see the warning triangle and a message saying which tyre is low.

Post #18873126th Dec 2017 3:56 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

ensure your trailer doesn't have LED indicators

Post #18873916th Dec 2017 7:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >