Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Parts Problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
gesoono

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Parts Problem

My TDV6 needs a new fuel tank and has been with a main dealer for almost 3 weeks. They say that there is a problem getting a hold of them from Land Rover and can't give me a date when they are likely to get one. I am guessing that D3's are assembled every day with fuel tanks. Does anyone know how to apply pressure to LR to get a tank to my dealer? Crying or Very sad
 Fuji White, Auto with Surround Camera  
Post #416648th Feb 2006 9:45 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Ring Land Rover Customer services, and let them know how unhappy you are. Your dealer should use a tank from one of the showroom cars to get you fixed.

Don't be afraid to kick up a right stink, 3 weeks is not good enough, in fact, its disgraceful Crying or Very sad

Post #416658th Feb 2006 10:00 pm
gesoono

Thanks Gareth, I think the deal is doing what they can (although I will ask about using a tank from another vehicle) the problem is that the reason that car needs a new tank is not because it is faulty. It's to do with a stupid user putting £80 of BP's finest unleaded in. So I don't think I am in a position to kick up a stink Embarassed
Post #416668th Feb 2006 10:03 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Oh dear, thats bad luck. I did not realise that a new tank is required after a mis-fuel, I would have thought a good clean out would suffice. I would still ring LRCS and ask them whats going on. I would also ask them if a new tank is always needed in case of mis-fuel.

I am suspicious of the dealer, they may be replacing parts unnecessarily. I am sure someone else will interject on this.

Post #416678th Feb 2006 10:07 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Another thing, I am sure someone on here reckoned that BP will pay out for repairs after a mis-fuel with their ultimate brand. The pumps are so very similar, I nearly fell for it once.

Post #416708th Feb 2006 10:10 pm
gesoono

LR Assistance who attended the scene of my dead disco (drove for about 1 mile) said that LR would insist that the tank, fuel lines, pump and numerous other parts were replaced in order to maintain the warranty on the car. As the car is only six months old I have little choice. It amounts to about 23hrs worth of labour and £6k in cast. I was also told that if it needed a new engine that would be another £13k. Embarassed
Post #416718th Feb 2006 10:11 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Ouch, I would be seriously considering how valuable a warranty is! 6k (possibly 20k) is an awful lot of repairs if needed.

Post #416738th Feb 2006 10:17 pm
gesoono

LRA suggeted that I get a local gararge to flush the tank and lines, change the filter and then get the car running. There was a hint that it was probably not best to keep the car after this. However I checked with my insuarnce company (Zurich, not the cheapest quote I got, but a good policy) and they will pay for all works minus my £100 excess. So I want to keep the warranty intact and will be covered for any problems down the line. LR tell me the car will be as good as new (possibly becasue of all the parts). I have also contatced BP regarding there confusingly similar Ultimate unleaded and Ultimate Diesel pumps.
Post #416788th Feb 2006 10:23 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Phew, thank god for that! I was beginning to wonder how you still had the will to live after all that. Wink

I suppose now the dealer knows that the insurance is paying, they will make as much hay as they can get away with. Have your insurance not offered you a hire car?

Post #416868th Feb 2006 10:36 pm
gesoono

Yes, a hire car is part of the deal if I sent the car to a Zurich authorised repair centre (not LR dealers). I guess technically the repairs could be carried out elsewhere to LR standards and the warranty would be intact but I did not want to take the chance of anyone other than LR trained technicians carrying out the work. So I currently am without a car, hence my desire to geta fuel tank asap. LRA told me that if a new engine was required the body would have to come off the chassis, which kind of scared me into opting for a main dealer.
Post #416948th Feb 2006 10:41 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

You have got to worry about what a D3 will be like in 10 - 15 years time. I have played around mechanically with a number of Defenders and D1's and suspect that it will be impossible to do any of that at home in a D3. If a D1 loses its engine, you can buy a second hand 200tdi for a grand and replace it at home after about 8 hours work. The complexity and cost of the D3 could potentially make it's secondhand (or 5th hand) market value virtually worthless once it is middle aged as no one will take the risk of having to shell out £13k for a new engine !
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #417239th Feb 2006 8:00 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

but isn't it the same for the majority of cars? by the time the Disco3 gets to that age, knowledge will have moved on anyway, remember the 'panic' when electronic ignition modules began to be fitted by vehicle manufacturers, nowadays anyone with a Haynes manual and a screwdriver can replace one on the older vehicles.

There is a certain 'it's not a Landrover if it's got an ECU' attitude amongst some luddites though Rolling Eyes

Post #417269th Feb 2006 8:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Vo Rogue

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Smarticus wrote:
You have got to worry about what a D3 will be like in 10 - 15 years time. I have played around mechanically with a number of Defenders and D1's and suspect that it will be impossible to do any of that at home in a D3. If a D1 loses its engine, you can buy a second hand 200tdi for a grand and replace it at home after about 8 hours work. The complexity and cost of the D3 could potentially make it's secondhand (or 5th hand) market value virtually worthless once it is middle aged as no one will take the risk of having to shell out £13k for a new engine !

Quite a valid point although it is probably more a matter of perceptions rather than reality. I own one of those highly complex orphans - V12 BMW - and no one will touch one with a barge pole however mechanically they are robust and it has turned out that many components are quite commonly available items. The super expensive electronic throttle assemblies - $ 1,000 each - are identical to those on a 320i (I think - cannot remember exactly which model) and can be pulled down and serviced if necessary anyway. Of course the manual tells you that they can only be replaced.

In time assuming that the general mechanicals are robust on the Land Rover ie dont break cranks and the metellergy of the bearings and so on are good which wont be known for a year or two they will probably lose value like rocks at 10 years old and yet be cheap and easy to service. In fact I will just about bet one of the family jewels that they will be far better long term than the earlier TDi motors especially as they are Peugeot Motors and common to many Fords and therefore will have been installed in huge numbers of vehicles world wide.

Post #417409th Feb 2006 11:06 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >