Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Performance Upgrades
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 10 <12345678910
scorpio

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

turbochip wrote:
I'm afraid I cant say but they have 19 dealerships.........thats your starter for 10 Wink

Hmmm well thats narrowed the field down a bit

Post #2503626th Oct 2005 7:38 pm
panosko

Greece 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3
Re: Performance Upgrades

I will surely order the chip upgrade for the TDV6 , however I have a couple questions: When is the right time to change the chip? The car I got is brand new, with just some hundred miles, so shoulda wait untill I get 4-5 thousand miles before I make the upgrade, or is it ok if I do now? And finally, how is that chip fitted, shoulda take it to a mechanic, or is it somthin I can do easily by myself (such as just takin off the old chip and installing the new). By the way, I haven't ordered the Info screen , anyone knows something similar (GPS, or TV) to install in that "box" area? Should be fitting like if it was from factory though!

Post #264856th Nov 2005 7:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Panosko

I would be very wary about an actual chip upgrade.
I may be wrong but I am fairly sure that Turbochip's upgrade is purely software so no 'physical' changes ( a lot safer as far as warranty goes)

Post #264866th Nov 2005 7:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

The 'chip' upgrade is a software upgrade and there is no physical removal of any component.
We upgrade cars even before they are delivered. Wink
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #264916th Nov 2005 7:57 pm
panosko

Cliff H wrote:
Hi Panosko

I would be very wary about an actual chip upgrade.
I may be wrong but I am fairly sure that Turbochip's upgrade is purely software so no 'physical' changes ( a lot safer as far as warranty goes)

Ehmm... what that exactly means? Turbochip say :more economy - more power" it's up to 250 hp more! No physical change???

Post #264936th Nov 2005 8:01 pm
panosko

turbochip wrote:
The 'chip' upgrade is a software upgrade and there is no physical removal of any component.
We upgrade cars even before they are delivered. Wink

Please send me an e-mail about the cost or for whatever (car info) you need so that I can order one for my TDV6. <edit: email address removed, no need to have it on display, it's accessible through your profile>

Post #264956th Nov 2005 8:10 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

New plug-in kit available here http://www.speed-buster.co.uk/product.pl?landrover
 The End  
Post #265727th Nov 2005 11:57 am
Roddy

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Gone
 Discovery 3 'S' Bonatti Grey. 

Last edited by Roddy on 12th Nov 2005 10:49 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #265777th Nov 2005 12:31 pm
finn

United Kingdom 
chip

ok ok i am new to this message board lark so i will try and keep it simple, my tdv6se arrived last week and i am more than happy with it however there is lots of talk re the chip upgrade which i want to do straight away but am concerned about the warranty, Turbochip has just quoted me £465 all in so i think this is the best i have seen that hids any extras such as any visable changes however can the dealer and the warranty people see this at any point !!!!
would appreciate any help

Post #266027th Nov 2005 3:42 pm
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

The 'visibility' of the upgrade to LR warranty / dealers might be an issue for some.

Whilst the Turbochip 'optimisation' may be invisible to those inspecting the car itself, it might be prudent not to publicise this on the web. I'm not in the market for this so have no need to worry, of course!...
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #266047th Nov 2005 3:48 pm
Devil's Refugee

Chip

New to this forum and haven't bought a Disco3 (yet!), but am not new to the chipping/ tuning scene.

I have to say that the Turbochip option (OBD) is much preferable to add-on boxes etc
Completely off subject, but I've had a Subaru Impreza remapped via the serial port used by dealers and the attention to the fuelling etc was second to none. This was done whilst I was driving the car, a laptop was used to control and alter the map under REAL driving conditions (something to note Turbochip if you want to improve the service you offer and franchise it further Wink )

If Turbochip goes down this route, it will be infinitely more rewarding than a bolt-on option which has been rolling-road tuned.

The other difference is that YOU get to feel the difference whilst it's being done under YOUR driving style. If you don't like, walk away and pay for only a call out.

My retune on the Subaru was completely undetected by the Dealer.

I'm thinking of buying a Disco TDV6 and would definitely look at Turbochip's option above a tune box first.

Glad to be aboard, will post once the Disco arrives (assuming Baby #2 doesn't beat it first !)

Post #2818716th Nov 2005 6:42 am
BN

England 

KL wrote:
The 'visibility' of the upgrade to LR warranty / dealers might be an issue for some.

Whilst the Turbochip 'optimisation' may be invisible to those inspecting the car itself, it might be prudent not to publicise this on the web. I'm not in the market for this so have no need to worry, of course!...

I can tell you now, that at least 5 senior Land Rover (Ford) management read this web site who I know personally. I also know as some of the guys on the site know LRE instructors read the site. I would add that many of the dealers are now picking up on it too for the details we are publishing about defects. Some are logged on as members as well, mine is for one. Like anything chipping is your choice. One point that I would add is that when my car broke down a while ago I had a 'tracking' device in it. I told Land Rover and they refused to carry out further repairs just because I told them it was in and not the original tracker device they use in their demo cars.

I had to go over to take the device out before they would start work. The egg on their faces was that it was a self contained device, with its own power source that I placed in the rear pocket. Moral, even though it was not connected, like a mobile phone, because it was there they refused to work under warranty by using any means they could. This is good old Ford 'damage limitation' procedure. We would call it wriggling.

Post #2818916th Nov 2005 8:07 am
Devil's Refugee

Chip

The other thing I could point out about having an OBD remap over a chip or tune box is this:

If (God forbid) the Disco3 breaks down and requires attention at the roadside, do you really want to rush around removing evidence of a tuning box before assistance arrives ? Especially if a tow is required to the dealer ?

I agree that ANY tuning of a car is at the option of the owner who bears the risk of negating their warranty, but if a modification can be done which is considered 'silent' or 'undetectable' since it alters the software itself rather than a bolt-on operation, I would look at this first.

Turbochips will probably not be the last to use the serial port tuning method for the Disco3.

Post #2820716th Nov 2005 11:11 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 10 of 10 <12345678910
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >