Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Petrol octane rating
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Tony

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Petrol octane rating

Sometime in the near future we will be seriously going bush, which raises the question of availability of Premium Unleaded fuel. (For the info of all you diesel owners out there, the V6 petrol engine prefers Premium unleaded at 95 octane, as against standard unleaded which is 91 octane.)

There are very few outlets for Premium Unleaded in remote areas, although diesel and regular are available, so we will have to use regular regularly Confused Confused .

Land Rover tell me that that's OK in the short term, but I wonder if:
A. There are any other V6 petrol owners on the forum?,
B. Has anyone experience with the D3 using regular?

I expect some drop in performance and economy, but how much? And yes, I will fill up with regular soon and try it!

Cheers,
Tony.
 Ex Defender 110 200Tdi owner.  
Post #7129519th Jul 2006 9:05 am
PSC

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The owners manual states that you may use 90 RON as a minimum (which means the ECU should compensate).

If you have 91 RON available, I would just ensure that you fill up with fuel that is relatively fresh, ensure that you don't lug the engine, and if you hear "knock" avoid using full throttle.

As a last resort you could try one of the Octane "enhancers", that are safe for catalytic converters. Try asking someone who owns a Subaru/Tuned car which brands actually work ....

-- Paul

Post #7134019th Jul 2006 11:09 am
Tony

Thanks Paul - I could not find anything specific about RON requirements in my manual. Selective blindness probably.

As you can see from the attached, there is not much in the way of really effective octane enhancers which we can obtain here.

Quote:

The Commonwealth prohibits the use of the following octane enhancers in all grades of Australian petrol:

* Methanol
* MTBE (Methyl tertiary-butyl ether)
* DIPE (Di-isopropropyl ether)
* ETBE (Ethyl tertiary-butyl ether)
* TAME (Tertiary amyl methyl ether)
* ETAE (Ethyl tertiary amyl ether)

A maximum content level in petrol of 0.10% v/v is set for these additives to cater for contamination of petrol by residual amounts remaining in storage facilities and/or distribution systems.

The Commonwealth does not manage/regulate the use of the following octane enhancers in any grade of Australian petrol:

* TBA (Tertiary butyl alcohol)
* IPA (Iso propyl alcohol)
* n-propanol
* n-butanol
* sec-butanol
* isobutanol
* MMT (Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl)
* Ferrocene
Post #7134919th Jul 2006 11:56 am
catweasel

why not go to Repco or similar and see about products like Wynns Spitfire plus or similar products. I personally dont like using additives in vehicles myself but you could also try the RAA and see if some servos have pulp and plan your trip around them maybe.

Last edited by catweasel on 19th Jul 2006 2:06 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #7136619th Jul 2006 12:24 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

catweasel wrote:
I personally dont like additives myself ...
Me neither, tend to find they make my teeth itch and turn my tongue a funny yellow colour.. Rolling Eyes
toilet duck works well though Shocked

Post #7140519th Jul 2006 1:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PSC

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Tony,

You may want to verify the info in your manual (in case its different)

Technical Data --> Engines --> V6 Petrol --> Recommended Fuel

-- Paul

Post #7141219th Jul 2006 1:55 pm
Tony

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the pointer - I've just found the relevant page in the manual and mine states "Unleaded 95 RON to EN228 specification."
The engines may be tuned for different markets perhaps.

I'm not too keen on the additives sold by the accessory shops - may be OK as short-term lead replacements in old vehicles, but they are a bit of an unknown quantity in modern engines. Might try the Toilet Duck though; I can remember a few mornings when a quick gargle may have helped.... Confused

Once you're off the asphalt north of Port Augusta (or your place, Cat) there is no PULP. In fact many of the settlements in outback NT now have only diesel and OPAL, which is a 91 RON unleaded which has had some of the volatile components removed to make it less attractive to the locals for sniffing! (God knows what it does to your engine, but BP, who produce it, charge an extra 13 cents per litre for it and our taxes subsidise that to bring it back to the same price as ULP. Maybe we should promote Toilet Duck up there Twisted Evil )
Post #7165020th Jul 2006 1:13 am
catweasel

I do remember in some of my 4x4 mags about pulp being provided in some locations and if I find it will let you know but this is one of the reasons I opted for the deisel due to lack of availability. will check with a mate who has driven up there (not off road but on graded roads) in a pulp commodore and see what he has to say. maybe best to give LRA a call and see what they come up with. I would have thought with some of the touristy places that they might have some available. sorry not much help Embarassed

Post #7166120th Jul 2006 7:55 am
Tony

Would have loved a diesel - had the Defender for 14 years and loved every minute - but $10,000 price difference made the decision easy! I'm sure the V6 will be OK on 91 octane for a bit, but I was interested to see if anyone had experienced that.

Just spoke to Black Forest re the fuel tank recall and booked in for next Tuesday for new tank, also software enhancement and a look at the tailgate strut bolts. I wonder what difference the enhancement will make?
Post #7166920th Jul 2006 8:23 am
catweasel

Tony not sure of exactly where you are going but you did mention NT so some of these may help
mobil
shell
bp
not sure about the last one, but have you considered the Long Ranger aux fuel tank (110 lt) which should give you a touring range of approx 1200-1300 kms. hope some of this helps Very Happy

Post #7167320th Jul 2006 8:42 am
Tony

Thanks catweasel, but all the listed ones are on the bitumen or in Alice and Darwin. The fuel points we rely on are in remote Aboriginal communities or places like Innaminka or even Blinman.
We knew this when we bought the D3 , and as I said, I'm sure no great harm will be caused by asking the beast to drink a more plebian drop for a few hundred K's. Even I have had to survive on VB when I can't get Coopers. Sad
Post #7167520th Jul 2006 9:01 am
catweasel

Tony wrote:
Even I have had to survive on VB when I can't get Coopers. Sad

Rolling with laughter

Post #7167720th Jul 2006 9:03 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >