Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Pirelli Scorpions or General Grabber AT2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
oldpostbob

England 
Pirelli Scorpions or General Grabber AT2

Just mangaged to get 24,000 miles out of my first set of Perelli Scorpions - 18" alloys and need to get a new set.

Which are the best to go for - another set of Pirelli or are the General Grabber AT2 better - in terms of handling and mileage - I don't do much off road but could do with a tyre that lasts longer than 24,000 miles - I used to get 40,000 out of my Scorpions on a D2 Commercial.

Any advice greatly received.

Post #3058573rd Jun 2008 11:48 am
discoagogo

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I am on the wear bars of my Scorpions at 19k so you have done well; my trawl of the forum indicates about 14k-24k is what they do so happy to be in the middle.

I think I will be going to AT2s hopefully for the same reason as you unless anyone tells us different.

If anyone knows of a way of getting 4 new at2s (18") fitted in the South for less than £500 I will be interested in PM
 2007 TDV6 XS Silver
Running with some <a>BioDiesel</a>
<a>4x4 Prejudice</a> 

Post #3059993rd Jun 2008 5:22 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Four General AT2 255/60x18,How about £512.30 inc VAT fitted and balanced, and in stock.

Regards

Andy www.ajstyres.co.uk

Junction 8 M25 Surrey.

Post #3060043rd Jun 2008 5:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jollybodger

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

You beat me to it AJS4X4. I am about to pop through to them for a complete set of P Scorpions. If the wranglers last longer are they as quiet. We really don't do much off road stuff, so assumed that the Wrangler was more focussed on that!
Cheers
Duncan

Post #3060143rd Jun 2008 6:07 pm
oldpostbob

England 

Andy (AJS4X4) whiat kind of milage you expect from the AT2 on the D3 and will it handle the same with the AT2's as the Pirelli?

Post #3060833rd Jun 2008 8:05 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

MPG will suffer a bit on AT2's, no point fitting if you don't do much off-road IMHO, stick to Warnglers or Scorpions for a smoother ride.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #3060873rd Jun 2008 8:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Wranglers will last longer and are better IMHO in snow and off road. Also ride better, feel more planted on the road.

Get nosier than the Scorpions when they wear though.

Post #3060903rd Jun 2008 8:14 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

We have Goodyear', scorpions and the AT2 in stock in 255/60x18 and all have good points, you will never find one tyre to suit all end users.

My choice is the AT2 as we do tow trailors and have to get acrossloose and undulating ground, if we never went off the tarmac and wanted a very quite tyre it would be the Goodyear, but I do hear customers say they would not drive on anything but the Scorpions.

Gentlemen, it's your choice, please feel free to call and discuss you tyre requirements, any size, any fitment.

Regards

Andy www.ajstyres.co.uk Thumbs Up

Post #3065384th Jun 2008 5:24 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I've used Scorpion's, Wrangler HP's & MTR's all in 19".
Imo, the Scorpion's are the best on road, great traction in wet & dry conditions, as well as being surprisingly capable off-road. They have a relatively "soft" compound, hence the great traction but as a result they are probably the least hard wearing. I also think that they offer the best steering feel.
The HP's feel as if they have a harder compound & they do wear better, but for me grip & steering feel are inferior to the Scorpion's. I haven't tested the HP's off-road (other than minor tracks etc.) so I can't really compare.
MTR's are of course brilliant in mud etc. but if you're not going to venture "seriously" off-road I wouldn't advise anyone to fit them. I guesstimate, that MTR's cost me an 2-3mpg as well.
I've twice driven a D3 at Eastnor Castle, each time it was shod with Scorpion's. I was really surprised how capable they were off-road.
I only got the MTR's as I wanted the reinforced sidewalls. I often drive on stony/rocky surfaces. Hence fitting the MTR's to FFRR rims that I don't mind damaging (which I have slighty).
If long life is your major requirement, then maybe you should try the Wrangler HP's & see how you get on.
Personally for road use, I'm happy to sacrifice a bit of wear for the grippier Scorpions.
I know that others will disagree & I think that it really is a personal choice & depends on how you drive etc. etc..

Post #3065454th Jun 2008 5:57 pm
Paul Dyster

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Guys, i'm just replacing GY wranglers on 18" 255/65/18 got nearly 60,000mile on the H rated ones. just buying some online through etyres @ £122 fitted each and they come to your home or work

Post #3065994th Jun 2008 8:34 pm
hernan1304

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR3

Currently driving a loaned FFRR (D3 in the shop) on Pirelli Scorpion Zero 19" and I have to say they are giving me a lot more road noise and harsh ride (even with the more plush FFRR suspension) than my D3 on the stock wranglers. It's almost like I'm riding on A/T tyres. Of course, this could be due to abuse on a 26,000km loaner car, but not impressed. I have set the pressures to recommended - was too low when received.

The wrangler HPs are quite good on-road, and I have to say that combined with the very-capable D3, they have yet to let me down in the sand either! Of course they could be Censored and I wouldn't know it - maybe better tyres would make the D3 into an unstoppable dune buggy, but unfortunately I don't think there's currently a better sand tyre offered in the 255/55-19. Also have gotten no punctures on fast gravel and some light rock crawling (small sharp rocks).

As for the Scorpions improving handling - I would think the limiting factor in handling is the top-heavy D3 rather than the ultimate adhesion of the tyres right? Wouldn't you flip before the tyres even began to make a difference?

EDIT - have just been reading over reviews on Tirerack.com for the two tyres, the difference in ratings is shocking! People seem to love the scorpion ATRs and hate the Wrangler HPs. Maybe I'm not complaining yet because I haven't put any serious mileage on them...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresult...?type=ORAT

Post #3067285th Jun 2008 7:02 am
scoobystiv8

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

my wranglers were ditched after they caused my car to sound like it had bearing failure.land rover spent days changing bits only to find it was the tyres.they changed them all to pirellis and no probs anymore.they were noisy on my d2s aswell. wouldn't have them again.
 D3 V8 SE AUTO
MG ZS 180 Mk 2
Subaru Impreza STi
Morris Minor 1000 4 door saloon(soon to be the Joker) 

Post #3069035th Jun 2008 3:59 pm
Pelyma

England 

i hated them on my first Freelander and they were just as rumbly on the first D3, Scorpions every-time. The only thing you can criticize them for is sidewall strength, but then they are a road tyre. I think their offroad ability is down to the car's knack of finding traction when it shouldn't be able to, thereby making the tyres look good.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #3069495th Jun 2008 6:33 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Don't overlook what Michelin have to offer; I've always preferred their large 4x4 tyres, the Synchrone was masterful. With Latitudes, now fitted for ~10k miles, the vehicle is a truly different machine, and they have lost about 1mm of tread in that time.

Post #3070045th Jun 2008 10:02 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Yes I would tend to agree with "WINGER" that the Michelins are a great tyre for the tarmac and do last well, sidewalls are a little soft which will give a very good ride, but off-road could be an issue and the cost will make some cry. Big Cry

We all have our own ideas on tyres which I respect, but I do think some of the leading brands have lost direction and should give us a better All Terrain choice, mind you this would make it even more confusing and differcult to make our choices. Rolling Eyes

Andy www.ajstyres.co.uk

Post #3071156th Jun 2008 7:12 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >