Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Pirelli Scorpions why do LR fit them as standard.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
freebie2disco

United Kingdom 
Pirelli Scorpions why do LR fit them as standard.

Looking at the Pirelli site the Scorpions are shown as Road/ High performance. Are these tyres any good at all in mud, not real deep off-road stuff but general field and muddy track stuff and if not, why do LR fit these as standard, it makes no sense. Compared with other less capable 4X4's I would have thought the D3 was far more likely to be taken off the road and would come equipped to do so. Looking at the tread pattern I reckon they do not look even as good as the Michelin Syncrones I had on the Freelander for road use. I ended up putting BFG MT's on a spare set of wheels for that and was hoping that I would not have to do the same again with the D3.

Post #12460728th Jan 2007 3:04 pm
Buckingham

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

There were quite a few scorpions at Boughwood yesterday and nobody had any trouble...even in the thick gooey patches of mud....
I was waiting for the AT2 on the 18" to come out but now I am wondering whether I need to go to the expense of getting them...

Post #12460828th Jan 2007 3:10 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Think it depends on the off roading that you want to do if you plan to do a lot get the mtr or alt when they come out the normal tyre the sidwalls are to soft ok now and again .
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #12460928th Jan 2007 3:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
freebie2disco

United Kingdom 

Thats really good news. I will be putting AT's on as soon as this wears out, if they are available.

Post #12461128th Jan 2007 3:20 pm
Duncster

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I was also very surprised how well the normal road tyres compared to MTR's etc. - There were some very muddy patches and nobody got stuck on Normal Tyres. - I think if you are going to be doing 95% normal road stuff and the occasional off road day then road tyres will be fine.

I however will not take my own advice and will be bying some as soon as funds allow and the misus lets me fit them on the car. I may have to go for 2 sets Wife friendly road tyres and buy a set of off road tyres and wheels for fun days.

It is her car after all.
 15 3.0 RRS HSE - Silver
05 2.7TDV6 S AUTO Silver - Retro-fitted Leather. 

Post #12461828th Jan 2007 4:23 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Duncster wrote:
I was also very surprised how well the normal road tyres compared to MTR's etc. - There were some very muddy patches and nobody got stuck on Normal Tyres. - I think if you are going to be doing 95% normal road stuff and the occasional off road day then road tyres will be fine.

The thing to remember with road tyres is that although they are extremely competent off road their construction can leave them prone to severe damage in comparison to the reinforced nature of specific off-road tyres like MTR.

I would recommend having two sets of wheels with tyres appropriate for either on or off road driving.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #12463328th Jan 2007 5:51 pm
freebie2disco

United Kingdom 

The only thing I have against the spare wheels and MT's is carrying the damn things around and changing them over. I get up to the Nth Yorks moors quite often as the in-laws live up there and sometimes go rabbiting around the farm. The MT's were great for this but meant either driving 280 miles each way on the MT's or putting them in the car and change them when I got there. That wasn't that easy in the Freelander, a bit easier in the D3 I grant you. That why I fancy a AT type tyre that I can keep on all the time.

Post #12463928th Jan 2007 6:17 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Why do you need to carry them Question You can drive 'on road' with MTR's and you will get better mileage than the standard road tyres. 36,000 miles is easy to achieve. I will agree that standard tyres are very good in mud, their downfall is the side wall is not as strong as the 'off road' tyres Wink
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #12464028th Jan 2007 6:30 pm
dflo

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

It's just finding the bl**dy MTRs that's the problem - Evil or Very Mad
 "Funny, mine doesn't do that......."  
Post #12464128th Jan 2007 6:32 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

discoflo wrote:

Whistle Wink
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #12464328th Jan 2007 6:33 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

AndrewS wrote:
discoflo wrote:

Whistle Wink

Whistle Whistle Whistle

Just picked up 3 today & feeling smugger than a smug person that is feeling especially smug in a very smug place! Especially considering the price paid! Thanks again Al Cope, i owe U 2 pints!! Thumbs Up

PS as good a deal as DiscoStu paid for his towing stuff!

Post #12467028th Jan 2007 8:01 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

freebie2disco wrote:
The only thing I have against the spare wheels and MT's is carrying the damn things around and changing them over. ....That why I fancy a AT type tyre that I can keep on all the time.

I can understand not wanting to keep changing..but if you only do the very occasional off road trip it makes sense to have two sets ........or like me and some others, just leave the MTR's on all the time
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #12468528th Jan 2007 8:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >