Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Planning a trip from London to the Alps.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
PISTOLPETE

United Kingdom 
Planning a trip from London to the Alps.

I am planning a trip to the Alps for mountain biking and maybe some off-roading too. This would be in the future, when I actually have the car lol. But I thought I'd get started now. I've never been to the Alps, so any suggestions are good. German, French, swiss alps etc. Would also like to work out the mileage for a round trip, costs, equipment needed, cheap places to stay etc. Has anyone done a trip like this before? Thought this would be a good discussion topic. Thumbs Up

Post #77838024th Mar 2011 6:34 pm
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

dates???

Post #77842524th Mar 2011 8:10 pm
PISTOLPETE

United Kingdom 

I think summer would be best. winter mountain biking isn't fun. I realize that the weather can still be bad in the alps in the summer, so a wide gamut of clothing would be taken. Other than that, I think its best I stay away from the ski areas. As we will be in the car, we can always drive to towns for night time drinking, food etc.

Post #77872325th Mar 2011 7:41 pm
choppa60

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up Good choice e drive to the south of France every year , camping , take our bikes just for the campsites , we always go to chamonix ,lovely place , the mountain biking is excellent , by all accounts and the prices of new bikes is Censored Cheap so much so we willgo back for one , and bring it back it was a connondale, discs all the goodies €385 euros !!!!! Quite a few bike shops there , we drove around found accom cheaply , things bizarrely shut at 9pm restaurants etc , ghost town , this is in the summer and the tram cars up the alps were great Thumbs Up Good choice
 2008 ,hse, it does what it says .  
Post #77874225th Mar 2011 8:38 pm
RichardB

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

If you are going down towards Chamonix, make sure you consider Les Gets. Straightforward drive down there (we do it every year for skiing... and some summers). In summer, Les Gets (which hosted a MB World Championship a few years back) is totally sorted for biking. Never seen so many people with one/two broken collar bones in one day Shocked Love biking but some complete nutters there too!

There are lots of good trails with great scenery in the area or you can just take chairs / bubble lifts up with your bike and tear downhill. Again and again and again...

Also, in the summer, consider some of the other stuff like rafting. We are big into Kayaking but had a great day out on rafts - pick a sunny day as the rivers are glacial melt fed - cool.

Not sure about camping recommendations. Have to confess that we have found apartments to be surprisingly cheap in the summer. There is basically an excess of accommodation from the winter season. It a bit like camping... but comfortable and you don't get wet when it rains Wink Might be worth comparing against camping costs.

All in all, that corner of the Alps is highly recommended.

Post #77925127th Mar 2011 5:49 pm
Phil S

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I've done this the last few years for Tour de France. Aswe're driving from Glas we always stay at the Suite Hotel in Calais, plus a stop mid way. if you drop me a mail,I'll send you the plan for 09, last year it was the prynees. [email protected]

If you go, you should def try Mont Ventoux, plus don't forget the Tour will be in the Alps in July.

Cost wise, £1k per person, including tolls and that's driving from Glasgpw.

Cheers
Phil

Post #77951728th Mar 2011 3:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PISTOLPETE

United Kingdom 

All excellent suggestions so far. I remember seeing a famous photo years ago from les gets where a mountain biker gets massive air over the road pass at the bike park, travelling right over a number of roadies heads. gotta admire the skill. Doing these trips makes me think a diesel would be the better option. However, at one trip a year or so, the difference is minimal.

Post #77953428th Mar 2011 4:03 pm
ZacSmith

United Kingdom 

I am quite a fan of the campsite at Argentiere (a couple of miles of the valley from Chamonix). It's definitely more mountain tent than twin-axle caravan, but very picturesque.
 VIN: A175A328***  
Post #77953728th Mar 2011 4:15 pm
bongy

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I go to a caravan/campsite at the end of Lake Annecey - absolutley beautiful lake and scenery and forms part of the tour (or at least very near it) Very Happy

About a 8 -9 hour drive from Calais so no need to stop. 8)

http://www.camping-lac-bleu.com/gb/

the directions from here always seem to be pretty good too Very Happy

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Routes
 Disco 3 2.7 TDV6 55 Buckingham Blue Base
15% tints / Group Buy Stainless Steel Sill Plates / Trillogy B144 tailpipes / Stupidly Large Steel Bull Bar 8)
EGR Blanking plates / Side Steps / Very Big LR roof Box / BAS remap Smile
New AC condensor / New Clutch & DM Flywheel / New Air Compressor, pipe set & Relay/another new clutch plate thanks to SWMBO/ new cross over pipe (without the body coming off) Sad
Suzuki GSX1400 - its all torque! 8)
Bayliner 175 Capri Very Happy
Adria 660SP motorhome Smile 

Post #77956628th Mar 2011 5:48 pm
andychelt

United Kingdom 

Last summer I did a road trip around Europe including going over the alps twice. Started in France and went to Belgium, Holland, Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland and back to France before home.

If you find your trip in Austria be sure to check out Timmelsjoch. It's the road over the alps from Austria that goes into Italy lots of tight bends and steep climbs to test the Disco on!

If in Switerzland, near the Gotthard tunnel there's a lovely road over the alps called Furka Pass. On the pass there's eisgrotte im rhonegletscher (Ice Cave inside the Rhone Glacier) which you can go in and also worth a look is Aareschlucht, a Fantastic walk deep in a narrow gorge. Give them a google for info and pics Thumbs Up

In total I did 2450 miles in 12 days and managed to average 29.9mpg Very Happy

Post #7833426th Apr 2011 11:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >