Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

VERY POOR RADIO RECEPTION ON COMMERCIAL TVD6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Black Brian

VERY POOR RADIO RECEPTION ON COMMERCIAL TVD6

hAS ANY MEMBER DEALTH WITH THE RADIO RECEPTION PROBLEM AFTER THE GOOD PEOPLE AT THE CONVERTERS HAVE SHEETED OVER THE EMBEDDED AERIALS IN THE REAR QUARTER LIGHT WINDOWS? mY VEHICLE IS GOING BACK FOR THE 4TH TIME AS THE RECEPTION IS NOW POOR WHEN I SWITCH OFF IN A PETROL STATION. THE AERIAL BOOSTER USED HAS BEEN POWERED FROM THE WRONG TERMINAL. HAS ANYONE HAD A PROPER REPLACEMENT AERIAL FITTED AS USED PERHAPS ON THE RANGE ROVER MODELS?

BLACK BRIAN

Post #19206020th Aug 2007 5:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
martin4x4

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Don't shout!

Turn caps lock OFF!
 Discovery 3 XS Auto, Stornaway, Active rear diff.  
Post #19206220th Aug 2007 5:05 pm
Alex E
Holy Bratwurst! 

martin4x4 wrote:
Don't shout!

Turn caps lock OFF!

PLEASE! Laughing
 I'm Powered by........Diesel Thud  
Post #19206520th Aug 2007 5:08 pm
martin4x4

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Yes, Please and my apology! Thumbs Up
 Discovery 3 XS Auto, Stornaway, Active rear diff.  
Post #19206720th Aug 2007 5:13 pm
christyler

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

what your experencing is as a direct result of the irish conversion, they have put a alluminum screen over the antenna that is why it dosent work.
 CLUB "Ah Shor it'll be grand"

First D3 in the World with a Hydraulic Winch.
2006 Disco 3 TDV6 S Auto,
Diff Locks, Turbochipped, Raised Air Intake, 220volts Onboard, Onboard Compressor, Large Bore Exahust, Underbody Protection, One or two Other Mods as well.
Other toys include, Argo Avenger 8x8, Tatra 6x6 Motorhome (Being Built) 

Post #19207220th Aug 2007 5:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BarryG

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Have dealer fit a new aerial , they will fit a new external aerial on the top of you roof
a few inches back from where the windscreen meets the top of the roof.
(its about a 12" long and is black rubber)
they drill a small hole in the roof and run a cable down inside the front passanger side
piller and then down inside the dash.)

your dealer will be aware of the issue (I dont think there is a TSB for it as its an
Irish Landrover thing ) ... If you do go this way dont part with a penny as they
should and will if pushed do if for free.

Post #19208220th Aug 2007 5:55 pm
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The local dealer here were fitting external aerials to all new commercials before they even sold them at one stage. I thought that the problem had been fixed, or at least partially fixed in new commercials though.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #19209320th Aug 2007 6:02 pm
Black Brian

Whistle I wasnt shouting, i just did not have my glasses to hand and I could not see the text!

I diagnosed the problem myself after taking a look at the "conversion". I just laughed. I spent 15 years with the BBC in London "speaking truth onto all nations" and this is what irish landrover do in return. Its what the revenue made them do i hear the converters cry. Plonkers.

sadly thewre are parts of ireland that has lower radio signal strength that you would experience in the Uk or more urban parts of Ireland. Even with the rubber ducky aerial, the received signal is not sufficient to hold the selected station at times. The aerial booster fitted amplifies the radio signal and the ether noise equally, but its better than no booster. The booster does need to be powered from the same power feed as the radio itself and not an aux power feed that goes off when you pull in for a coffee.

I think that the radio is not equalised for the replacement rubber ducky aerial. The radio would have been "tuned" for the remote glass aerials as designed. Has anyone got technical info on the radio installation?

Best regards

Black Brian

Post #19209820th Aug 2007 6:11 pm
WillMyth

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Lugano TealDiscovery 3

My received signal strength is a bit low but nothing to worry about I'd say its about 90% of what it should be and its alluminum screen on both sides . do you have glass aerials on both sides of the D3?

Post #19233821st Aug 2007 4:39 am
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The radio in Irish commercials can only use one aerial - that's the one in the drivers side rearmost window. If you've got the upgraded radio (6 cd changer) then it uses a diversity system with that aerial as well as the one in the tailgate glass (which is also used for TMC for the satnav).
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #19238621st Aug 2007 9:46 am
D-Tech

England 

Is the rear door glass still in? Does it have a heated screen ? If so there is an adaptor available somewhere online that adds a choke and cap to the screen element fittings and uses the element as an aerial.

I seem to recall that the diversity box was fitted in RHS rear quarter panel, maybe it's been removed if they have fitted a rubber duck.
 D-Tech are a TurboChip remap dealer.

email: info@d-techperformance.co.uk 

Post #19245621st Aug 2007 11:26 am
ArcFro

Finland 

I had opportunity to talk with tech support person at very yesterday (due to little service hassle, not related) about poor sensitivity of radio reception.

He claimed that base stereo (CD-400) has only one antenna in back side glass (right side if I recall correct)instead of both side and rear glass in Hi-Line or Premium audio. It was claimed that you can verify this by driving road to opposite directions and and have different kind of radio reception.

This is verifies to me that it ain't no fun to be waiting to be a millionare Big Cry

Post #19488325th Aug 2007 6:20 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Black Brian

Blaupunkt have a large selection of boosted ariels (they use the power line out put from the radio that would normally power an electric ariel) they used to be sold as Bosch autoflex - they provide superb reception (MW/LW/FM/SW) & look the part
....have a look at http://www.blaupunkt.com/uk/antennas.asp - you can down load the pdf brochure.
Bosch in Dublin used to stock these.

PS what are the off road possibilities around the impressive Ben Bulben...I used to pass this en route to Donegal
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #19489625th Aug 2007 8:11 pm
Black Brian

Thanks for the replies re the aerial. Now that the wheelbarrow is in Bradleys waiting for a new drivers door and some cosmetics, I can easily say the radio is the last thing on my mind. The rear screen demister is a good idea but the amplified rubber ducky might be better if I see the vehicle again.

BenBulbin is just super the last tine I looked out the window. No one doing off road up there though! Its a special place that I go walking see and then there is the farmer "Bull McSharry" who has made a big song and dance about people going for walks over private property. It would be fun to try but the locaion would have to be carefully chosen as it is very beutiful.

Bye for now

Black brian

Post #1986003rd Sep 2007 10:38 pm
threefive

Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Dealer took out the metal panel in my yoke leaving just privacy glass and carpet covering. Radio works fine now even in mountains in Wicklow where it didn't in the past.
 '05 Silver Commercial S+ gone but never forgotten
'08 Black XS
iid BT 

Post #1995946th Sep 2007 9:53 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >