DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Possible battery issue?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
peteyd

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Possible battery issue?

Hi all

My MY16 D4 Graphite is still on its original battery. The stop/start stopped working a few months ago which was no real concern. But I tried the remote heat (retrofitted using genuine LR parts) and the red light just flashes on the fob.

I've checked for errors using my BT IID tool but there are none. While testing, the battery voltage on the IID tool was showing 14.0V to 14.2V. I ran the AHCM-Auxilary Heater check and got the message "Operation Failed E 7".

I don't have a voltmeter to accurately test the battery. The car starts and runs no problem.

Do the above symptoms suggest the battery is on its way? Or should I look elsewhere (if so, any suggestions?)?

And does my car have two batteries, one for general use and one for stop/start?

Thanks

PD
 MY16 D4 Graphite in Loire Blue  
Post #209203313th Oct 2019 6:22 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

There are two batteries, the main one and then the one for start/stop.

Post #209203413th Oct 2019 6:28 pm
peteyd

I've now found the FBH wiki. Pulled fuse 28 and it seems to be behaving although it isn't cold enough for the FBH to heat this evening, at least the fob now flashes green. I haven't tried the IID test again (Mrs is starting to wonder how many more times I plan to go out to the car...)

In pulling fuse 28 I have caused another problem - how do I get the battery cover back on properly? The two clips at the front are fine, the two clips to the left as you look at the car from the front won't engage for love nor money. Any tips??
Post #209204713th Oct 2019 7:17 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Red flashing on FBH remote normally means flat battery in remote
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #209206613th Oct 2019 7:56 pm
peteyd

Thanks Wiggs. I set the timed heat to come and 07:30 today and had a warm car at 07:50, so it seems to be working. The IID tool still gives the E7 error when I do the test though. And I still can't get the battery cover on properly.
Post #209231714th Oct 2019 7:37 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

The two clips nearest the engine do not clip, they only slot in the guide Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #209242715th Oct 2019 8:50 am
peteyd

Thanks, I wish I’d known that before! I kept trying to get them to clip in as there is a gap between the lid and the battery tray, I’ll take another look tonight.
Post #209243115th Oct 2019 8:56 am
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Hi peteyd
My clips nearest the engine don’t actually clip in they just push in (although it looks like they should). But, given your explanation about the gap, I’m wondering if the issue is that the cover/lid isn’t located correctly under the bulkhead at the front (windscreen edge). Every time I have mine off I have a job to get it located properly. Once it is, it sits down properly (albeit with the engine side clips not actually ‘clipping’).
I manage to get it on each time, but just can’t work out the knack to do it swiftly ( angles, order or edges etc etc)
Worth a check anyway.
Glad FBH is now working. How about stop/start ? Battery may just need a charge if it’s only had short journeys (tend to do mine every two weeks or so).
One last thing, I think it’s worth having a cheap multimeter (under £10) with this car. I purchased one and a CTEK charger on the strength of input on this forum and it helped me diagnose a failed stop/start battery.
Good luck
Cheers
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #209243715th Oct 2019 9:28 am
Gary_P

Just noticed you asked about whether you have two batteries.
The answer is yes. On the offside (drivers side) is a box like the main battery box. Inside there is a small battery that keeps things running when the car stops in a stop/start situation.
Generally, not always, you will get an amber warning ‘ECO stop start not available’ on the dash if this battery is not capable of doing it’s job. You can test the voltage on this as a first step to diagnosing.
If you haven’t got that message then it’s probably charge in the main battery causing stop/start not to work.
Cheers
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #209244315th Oct 2019 9:35 am
peteyd

Gary_P wrote:
Hi peteyd
My clips nearest the engine don’t actually clip in they just push in (although it looks like they should). But, given your explanation about the gap, I’m wondering if the issue is that the cover/lid isn’t located correctly under the bulkhead at the front (windscreen edge). Every time I have mine off I have a job to get it located properly. Once it is, it sits down properly (albeit with the engine side clips not actually ‘clipping’).
I manage to get it on each time, but just can’t work out the knack to do it swiftly ( angles, order or edges etc etc)
Worth a check anyway.
Glad FBH is now working. How about stop/start ? Battery may just need a charge if it’s only had short journeys (tend to do mine every two weeks or so).
One last thing, I think it’s worth having a cheap multimeter (under £10) with this car. I purchased one and a CTEK charger on the strength of input on this forum and it helped me diagnose a failed stop/start battery.
Good luck
Cheers

Thanks Gary. Looks like I have an evening of struggling with a battery compartment lid plus associated swearing. Your suggestion does sound spot on, I was obsessed by the clips that do not clip, rather than what is probably the root cause.

Thanks also for the second message about the two batteries. Any suggestion on a specific multimeter, or should I take pot luck on Amazon? And final question (showing my lack of technical skills), what am I looking for with the multimeter - a certain voltage with engine on, engine off, ignition on etc?

Thinking about it, I'll wait for my multimeter to arrive and I know what I'm looking for before I start trying to refit the battery compartment lid - don't want to have to do it twice if I don't need to!
Post #209244915th Oct 2019 9:59 am
Gary_P

Hello peteyd

Please see attached thread which gives some idea of resting voltages for batteries. I'm no expert, only know a few things I've picked up from this forum.

Both the batteries (Main and stop/start) are 12V AGM batteries, so use the reference voltages for those. You should do this when the engine is not running. Bare in mind that these voltages might change because of temperature. My battery rarely reads more than 12.5V by the way and often less than this. When my stop start battery read 11.5V it was a good indication it was shot. I replaced it and everything was fine.

https://www.disco4.com/forum/post1923664.html#1923664

Voltages when the engine is running will be 14V+ because of the charging that is taking place from the alternator.(I guess thats one way of finding out whether the alternator is charging ).

In terms of multimeter I think I got mine from Amazon. This is the one I got , but anything with a good rating should be OK. Others may have recommendations.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073FD...&psc=1

Good luck
Cheers
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #209257015th Oct 2019 6:43 pm
peteyd

Thanks again Gary. I've ordered a voltmeter which should be here tomorrow, will test the batteries and try to fit the cover correctly tomorrow night Thumbs Up
Post #209258615th Oct 2019 7:50 pm
peteyd

Gary_P wrote:
Hello peteyd

Both the batteries (Main and stop/start) are 12V AGM batteries, so use the reference voltages for those. You should do this when the engine is not running. Bare in mind that these voltages might change because of temperature. My battery rarely reads more than 12.5V by the way and often less than this. When my stop start battery read 11.5V it was a good indication it was shot. I replaced it and everything was fine.

Cheers

Multimeter arrived today, battery measures in at 12.44V. I'll give it a charge and see if that changes things.
Post #209290216th Oct 2019 7:01 pm
peteyd

I've been charging the main battery for a few days with my 1.5A trickle charger. I made the mistake of connecting the negative directly to the battery, hope I haven't broken anything.

Charging didn't make a difference to the stop/start so I did the BMS reset. A day later, the car is once more stopping and starting, so something seems to have done the trick.

Only one more question.... is there any way to disable stop/start Very Happy
Post #209464623rd Oct 2019 7:29 pm
Gary_P

Hi peteyd
I can't help laughing about the fact that you've got start/stop going and your first question is 'how do I disable it?'
Glad you got it going. Interesting the reset did it. I had a problem with mine that was fixed at the dealership with an update. I believe it set the threshold for the start/stop to kick in at a lower level of battery charge.
I terms of turning it off, you'll need to press the Eco button when you want to turn it off. This is the button in the centre underneath the terrain response setting switch. It has been asked before, but there is no way of permanently turning it off. A warning icon will appear in the speedo dash panel area saying 'Eco stop/start not available' . (incidentally this is the same warning you get when the small battery isn't capable of supporting stop/start).
Alternatively, if you only do short journeys, over a relatively short time , a week or two, the stop start will no longer kick in as the battery will not be getting enough charge.
Cheers
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #209465623rd Oct 2019 8:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >