DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Possible Crank fail? TDV6 2.7
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Hmul1

United Kingdom 
Possible Crank fail? TDV6 2.7

Hi all,

Had a bit of misfortune yesterday and think it is terminal for the D3, but wanted to get a second opinion.

The old girl has been making some tappety noises that have got progressively worse the last week and came to an almighty crescendo on the hard shoulder of the M20 yesterday. It went from a slight tappety noise under load to an absolute bag of spanners being thrown around in the engine. I immediately pulled over and turned off the engine. I waited a minute and tried to restart (stupid, I know but difficult to help yourself in those situ's). The weird thing is the battery had gone completely dead so didn't start up. Even more weirdly the battery had died for no apparent reason at the place I had left 10 mins earlier and I needed to jump it.

When I got it recovered home I jumped it again to see where the noise was coming from. Took just a few seconds to hear it was coming from under the engine and there was significant pulsing in sync with the banging coming through the clutch pedal. All sounded very much like the crank had failed and have now read from the forum that is fairly common (car has done 160k miles).

2 questions - is my diagnosis likely correct? The mystery to me - why on earth has it caused my battery to drain too?

Mostly I want to make sure that the news is terminal before I make any rash decisions Sad

Many thanks in advance for thoughts

Post #228928926th Apr 2022 11:16 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Random thoughts...

If you battery died, could it be that your alternator has disintegrated and is the source of the noise?

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #228930326th Apr 2022 2:03 pm
paul123

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

will it turn over by hand ?
 2005 discovery 3 tdv6
1971 200 tdi 2 door range rover

300tdi defender 90 in bits needs lots of work 

Post #228932526th Apr 2022 5:37 pm
Hmul1

United Kingdom 

Thanks for your replies both, I’ve had the front off today - the alternator looks fine with all belts attached. I know alternator bearings can make some noise when it’s failing, but I’ve never known an alternator to be the source of this sort of racket. Although it is the only thing I can think of RE the batt… I haven’t removed and tested it properly yet as haven’t got the fan removal tool or a big enough spanner Rolling Eyes

I haven’t tried to turn the engine over by hand, but it starts and runs (horrendously badly) with a jump start. But have to turn it off after a few seconds as literally sounds like the engine is smashing itself apart.

Post #228933526th Apr 2022 6:54 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Sounds like mine when she died. Unfortunately it was the last she drove and was stripped then scrapped soon after. Sad

Post #228933726th Apr 2022 7:18 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Any updates?

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #228959728th Apr 2022 8:54 pm
loanrangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Remove the timing cover then rotate by hand , next step would be to remove the valve covers/intakes and check the cams and chains. also check the fuel pump belt as it may have snapped or tensioner failed.

Post #228962328th Apr 2022 11:46 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Hmul1 - Welcome, sorry to hear of your problems.

Any further news?

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #228964529th Apr 2022 7:42 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

As I have posted elsehere, I am not sure that I entirely agree with this, which comes from another forum:-

Quote:

I wonder how the Original Poster got on...... ? Time passes on, and not another word.

There are a lot of "dead end" threads on the forum recently.

Maybe these threads should be deleted after a time as they are just clutter.

I do think though that common courtesy might at least evoke an acknowledgement by now.

NJSS

There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #22900312nd May 2022 3:58 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Maybe not the right place, but also a opportunity to say something about this subject…

There seems to be a tendency on forums, also on this forum, that newbie’s use a forum as it is FB..
No intro, often not even hi or hello… at least this new member did say hello, but we see often otherwise..
Never use the search button, as if “their” topic is “new” and “unique”

If “helped out” it stays quiet for some reason..

In the end these “users” kill the help for others, as this kills a usable and readable forum….

Maybe this new member proves us otherwise and is just to busy with solving the issues his Discovery has
I really hope so..
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #22900982nd May 2022 11:00 pm
jenseneverest

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

^^ agreed 100 % Thumbs Up
Doubt the OP will be back.

Post #22901263rd May 2022 3:59 pm
NJSS

jenseneverest

It look as if you are correct. Very sad Whistle

Post #22905957th May 2022 9:26 am
Hmul1

United Kingdom 

Hi folks,

Wow - quite the rebellion since I've been gone! Shocked
Apologies if I offended anyone with my 2 week absence. I'm juggling a full time job, house renovation, 7 week old baby and broken Disco - hope you can understand. A shame my post has turned into a forum for grumbling!

Anyway - back to the good stuff.

Thanks Hardware for your alternator suggestion - the fan removal tool arrived and yesterday I took it off for a full inspection - lovely smooth bearing and in good health so the battery dying aspect continues unsolved.

Thanks Loanrangie for the suggestion of further checks. I will get around to them, but due notice to all reading this - it may take another couple of weeks so please hold fire.

What has become pretty clear is that barring a surprise easy fix, the old girl has given up the ghost. and will require a new engine (outside of my capability). Which raises the question of how much time do I want to invest in this investigating the source of the issue, when the outcome will be the same regardless. I'll check the fuel pump on Loanrangie's suggestion as a last ditch hope of a reasonable repair.

NJSS / Jenseneverest / Motolab - worth noting that you've contributed pretty much zero value here so perhaps worth considering that in the future before having a grumblefest - take a note out of Hardware and loanrangie's books and add your perspective too - the more thoughts / ideas the better.

A note to any admins - I only received an email notification when I got a first response to this topic. It wasn't until I logged back in to provide this update that I saw all the chatter. Perhaps an improvement for the future.

Cheers all

Post #229105010th May 2022 1:37 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Motolab wrote:

Maybe this new member proves us otherwise and is just to busy with solving the issues his Discovery has
I really hope so..

@Hmul1

please read my post completely......

but TBH.. i can assure you, that new forum members who take the time to introduce themselves first in the proper topic..
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/welcome-dis...=say+hello

always get help from all of us and no grumpy texts, even if there are intermissions between posts...

Thumbs Up
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #229105110th May 2022 1:54 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hmul1 wrote:
Hi folks,

Wow - quite the rebellion since I've been gone! Shocked
Apologies if I offended anyone with my 2 week absence. I'm juggling a full time job, house renovation, 7 week old baby and broken Disco - hope you can understand. A shame my post has turned into a forum for grumbling!

Anyway - back to the good stuff.

Thanks Hardware for your alternator suggestion - the fan removal tool arrived and yesterday I took it off for a full inspection - lovely smooth bearing and in good health so the battery dying aspect continues unsolved.

Thanks Loanrangie for the suggestion of further checks. I will get around to them, but due notice to all reading this - it may take another couple of weeks so please hold fire.

What has become pretty clear is that barring a surprise easy fix, the old girl has given up the ghost. and will require a new engine (outside of my capability). Which raises the question of how much time do I want to invest in this investigating the source of the issue, when the outcome will be the same regardless. I'll check the fuel pump on Loanrangie's suggestion as a last ditch hope of a reasonable repair.

NJSS / Jenseneverest / Motolab - worth noting that you've contributed pretty much zero value here so perhaps worth considering that in the future before having a grumblefest - take a note out of Hardware and loanrangie's books and add your perspective too - the more thoughts / ideas the better.

A note to any admins - I only received an email notification when I got a first response to this topic. It wasn't until I logged back in to provide this update that I saw all the chatter. Perhaps an improvement for the future.

Cheers all

I think you'll fit right in. Thumbs Up

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder