Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Possible move to Australia
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
JayCee

New Zealand 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Possible move to Australia

A move may be on the cards. Thinking of taking the D3 over. Looks like it could be very expensive (GST, Duty & Luxury Car Tax)? Looks like the key could be to have proof of a low purchase price? Has anyone gone this route before...? Any pointers/tips/advice would be appreciated!
 2006 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver
Previously Loved:
2001 Defender 90 TD5
1999 Discovery GS TD5
1997 Discovery Tdi 3-door 

Post #14023518th Mar 2007 9:21 am
300+

Hi Jaycee,

I did this with my Subaru from Japan 4 years ago.

It was economical for me, but was borderline.

Firstly check out the price of the D3 here. The dealer list (on the road) for a V6SE is $64,000. A V8 adds 10K and a TDV6 sounds like is will add 13K.

www.tradingpost.com.au will give you an idea for used ones.

The laws may have changed, but this is the situation 4 years ago. To import it you must be on the correct visa. If you get a 457 work permit I was told you will not be able to make a personal import. You will also not be eligible for medicare (health cover) or full private health insurance, but that is a different story. When I did it you needed to have APPLIED for permanent residency, not have received it. http://www.dotars.gov.au/ is the gov dept who can tell you the full story today. They are helpful on the phone.

You will have to pay import duty (8% I think) then 10% GST on the value of the vehicle, shipping and duty (yep, tax on a tax) and should the value exceed the luxury car tax threshold you also pay 10% on the value above the threshold, which is mid 50K I think. The rules say that the value they apply is the NEW COST OF THE VEHICLE when you bought it, there is no facility for depreciation any more. I don't understand how it happened, but my vehicle was valued as per the Australian market for a personally imported vehicle (i.e low). Not sure how it happened though.

So you need to look at the realistic value you will get for your car selling it in the UK. This is your starting point. Add on the likely shipping and clearance charges, duties, etc. There will be another charge to get the vehicle complianced and a plate fitted. Then you can get it registered, where they will ask you for another 2% ( b Censored ds , I'd had enough of taxes by then!!).

There shouldn't be many compliance costs as personal imports are exempt from most regulations. You just have to pay someone to certify that you comply with the few that are important. This was another $300 I think.

So now you have the landed cost of your vehicle. Does it greatly exceed the cost of buying here? My guess is it won't be, as I think D3s are a lot cheaper here.

The next problem is ownership. To make a personal import you have to have owned and used the vehicle for at least 12 months. They know all the tricks here and require proof of insurance, servicing as well as purchase.

If you meet all that you can apply and will get permission to put it on a boat.

When I did it I imported from Japan, which is a much cheaper market for my STi, so it was worth it. But it was very borderline.

A factor for me was that an STi buyer in Aus won't be too put off by an import. Should you sell your D3 I think the fact that it is am import will greatly reduce the selling price.

I also do not know if the franchised dealers will service a grey import. Subaru dealers will not. I am lucky there are good independant dealers. With a D3 they are less likely to have all the right computer gear at the moment, which may make life interesting. Don't forget your warranty is now worthless.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions related to the move - I made enough mistakes that I can give you many pitfalls to avoid.

Cheers, Steve

Post #14023718th Mar 2007 9:59 am
300+

Oops, just noticed you are from NZ, I assumed UK...

The price difference may be different and permanent residence is assumed.

Steve

Post #14023918th Mar 2007 10:03 am
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

I think you'll find the import duties into Oz for a car under 3 years old to me totally ridiculous....they work it on the new price value Sad
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #14030618th Mar 2007 4:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JayCee

New Zealand 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Steve, thanks for the pointers and info, it's much appreciated. I'll give DOTARS a call and get some of the finer details from them (I'll also contact a shipping & clearing agent to get some of the details from them). At this time it does look like if won't be economically feasible to do due to the taxes & LCT. Fortunately the shipping from NZ isn't too expensive, so that's a plus Smile But it's early days yet!
 2006 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver
Previously Loved:
2001 Defender 90 TD5
1999 Discovery GS TD5
1997 Discovery Tdi 3-door 

Post #14041618th Mar 2007 10:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >