Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Possible upcoming owner of a LR Discovery 4 3.0 but turbo pr
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Dennisvogelius

Lithuania 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4
Possible upcoming owner of a LR Discovery 4 3.0 but turbo pr

Hey all of you. I am in the process of buying my first Disco.

It is in very good condition, but with 215000 on the clock. All services done at dealership up until 210000. There are a few bushings in need of replacement.

Now under further investigation, it seem like one turbo is not getting lubrication. The turbo is working, and there are no signs that it has already failed. No smoke, power optimal, no bad noises like whistling or the like.

What I am scared of is that WHEN it will fail it will be a pain to change it. I hear that it is necessary to lift the entire body of the car, and the expense and down time will be substantial.

It is a car in mint condition beside of the turbo problem.

Please need advice. I really would love this one

Post #226317519th Nov 2021 8:21 pm
mike23118

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I'd walk away and carry on looking too many miles and a dodgy turbo . plenty more out there

Post #226318119th Nov 2021 9:04 pm
Dennisvogelius

You are probably right. Just such a shame cause the owner really have been taking care of this girl. Even with anti corotion.

Can you tell me if disco 4 is really that bad regarding breaking.

I have a citroen c⁶ all I have heard are how badly they break, but I am now at almost 186000 miles with very few problems

Post #226327020th Nov 2021 2:36 pm
Dennisvogelius

You are probably right. Just such a shame cause the owner really have been taking care of this girl. Even with anti corotion.

Can you tell me if disco 4 is really that bad regarding breaking.

I have a citroen c⁶ all I have heard are how badly they break, but I am now at almost 186000 miles with very few problems

Post #226330920th Nov 2021 9:14 pm
mike23118

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Trouble with forums is, 90% of posts is about faults, D4 does seem to have more than its fair share, but there will be people who have a D4 and have hardly any faults Whistle
You pay your money and take your chance, but great car to drive. I may look at the D5 in the future

Post #226331020th Nov 2021 9:18 pm
Dennisvogelius

You are right.

Usually people with problems writing Smile

I have decided that if I can get the owner to change the Turbo I will go for it. If not I am walking away

Post #226338321st Nov 2021 1:11 pm
Pedros

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The difference in reliability of modern cars between a good one and a bad one is not really too much. A small percentage of vehicles that exhibit the same fault and all of a sudden the model is hailed as unreliable. Many D4s these days will be sailing past 100,000 miles with no problems at all.

And as mike23118 says, the great majority of owners will only venture onto a forum such as this when a problem rears it's head, looking for advice and answers, so reading through the posts can give you a skewed vision of things.

However, having said that, why go for a car that has a potential problem rather than one that doesn't? There's no real shortage of nice looking well cared for examples. Although the present shortage of chips for new cars is supposedly driving the price of second hand ones up.

Post #226338421st Nov 2021 1:13 pm
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Speaking as somebody who has recently had a new engine . It is not so much the frequency of the problem it is the catastrophe it potentially is for owners when it does go . However you look at it you dont expect a broken crank on any engine within a very short life span. I came from the side of it cant be as bad as its made out to be. Took care to buy one with a full LR service history and still became a victim. Sadly since I have found out it is not that uncommon. The dealer who dealt with mine has 'several waiting for an engine' and I now know of a local independent who has 4 sat in his yard that have been written off as the owners cannot afford to replace the engine.
So to sum up it may not be a high percentage of those built but to the owner who is hit with the issue it is a nightmare ,this is what singles it out from the other more common issues that can afflict many cars.

Post #226347522nd Nov 2021 6:17 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >