Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Powder-coating OE LR4 Side Step/Running Board
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
rewillia

United States 2016 LR4 3.0 SCV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteLR4
Powder-coating OE LR4 Side Step/Running Board

Curious to learn if any Discovery/LR 4 members here here in the forum have refinished their OE side steps which come supplied by LR with the bright brushed aluminum finish.

I'm contemplating removing mine and having them power-coated to a black satin textured finish but am uncertain if the ABS-type plastic tread plates can be easily removed (and refitted) without damaging them. LR does not appear to offer the tread plates as a separate part item.

Any relevant responses will be appreciated.

Post #200459929th Nov 2018 12:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
HarryO

2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I would not powder coat them if you intend to do any kind of off roading.

Scratches and dings caused by stones etc act as a entry point for water and undermine the powder coat over time. You also can not repair (paint) over these holes easily in powder coat. If you want to change the coating / color I would paint it as you can easily touch that up.
 Land Rovers never get bogged! - merely delayed
Land Rovers never break down! - merely fail to proceed.
Land Rovers never leak oil - it’s a built in anti-rust feature

Discovery 4 TDV6
Discovery 4 TDV6 (Stolen)
Discovery 3 SE (Sold)
Discovery 2 (Sold)
Defender 110 (Sold)
Series 2 (Chev 4.1 Motor & S2A Gearbox) (Sold)
Toyota Hilux bakkie (Ute) (Broke it) 

Post #20052671st Dec 2018 8:26 pm
rewillia

That's a sensible approach I will consider although clearly the OE Land Rover side steps are not designed as sliders and would do little other than collapse it they were to make contact with rock or similar hard surface where the force/weight of the vehicle will be applied to them. They are meant solely as steps.

In terms of off roading my use will be mostly limited to semi-rough terrain, sand and mud but I do not anticipate rock climbing or more aggressive off roading. Just basically do away with the polished silver aluminum color and move to a dark, blacked out color just don't know if I can remove the ABS plastic step inserts easily and without damaging them in order to repaint them or as I mentioned power-coat them.

Thank you for the input.

Post #20053502nd Dec 2018 8:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rewillia

After contemplating the matter, I choose to purchase and install ProSpeed's Rock & Tree Sliders of which (IMO)I find are far more superior that the OEM side steps installed by LR and they look more befitting.

Post #201906616th Jan 2019 2:00 pm
rewillia

FWIW', found the fitment of the ProSpeed Rock & Tree Sliders to be excellent. Clearly well engineered for proper fitment and service. All in, it took me about 2-1/2 hrs to install these including removal of the OEM LR side steps. Hardest part I found was removing and replacing the bottom door edge spray excluder seal trims but once I got one of the four done, the others were easier.

Post #20253874th Feb 2019 1:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >