Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Power loss, no warning lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
JemFI

Falkland Islands 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Power loss, no warning lights

Hi everyone

While driving up a slight hill at 50mph, I had a loss of power, where I had to change down to second to complete the climb. The engine wouldn't rev above 2500rpm. No warning lights were lit.

I drove the disco home and after turning it off and starting again I had full rev movement again.

Would it be an issue with EGR's or does it sound like something else? I have not been able to get a code reader yet to see if any faults have been logged.

Thanks in advance.

Post #22223964th Apr 2021 8:50 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Could be turbo linkage needs freeing

Post #22223974th Apr 2021 9:03 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I would start with the easy bits clean your MAP sensor and check your intercooler pipes for splits.
After that i would check for fault codes
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #22223984th Apr 2021 9:03 pm
JemFI

Falkland Islands 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks for the suggestions Very Happy

Post #22224184th Apr 2021 11:10 pm
Prette

Location: Previously Stoke-ST4 (pre-pandemic), Mostly The Hague (NL) partially Lyngby (DK) certainly somewhere

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Power loss, no warning lights

JemFI wrote:
Hi everyone

While driving up a slight hill at 50mph, I had a loss of power, where I had to change down to second to complete the climb. The engine wouldn't rev above 2500rpm. No warning lights were lit.

I drove the disco home and after turning it off and starting again I had full rev movement again.

Would it be an issue with EGR's or does it sound like something else? I have not been able to get a code reader yet to see if any faults have been logged.

Thanks in advance.

When the EGR stuck open the MIL will only lit after 3-4 times you start the engine. So, if you got the EGR stuck open in the middle of a run, the car will not realise that until you start the engine again. it will record the fault but not lit the engine light (you can read the fault with diagnostic tool), after 3-4 times you turn on the vehicle the engine light comes on.

Good luck.

Post #222417512th Apr 2021 8:17 pm
EarthRover91

Germany 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Hello all,

I recently had a similar issue with my 2013 LR4 3.0 SDV6. While on the highway, after about 2 hours of driving, I experienced a sudden loss of power. The engine wouldn't rev above 2500rpm, just like JemFI mentioned. Strangely, there were no warning lights on the dashboard, although I did notice that the dashboard lights seemed to have dimmed during the second occurrence of the problem.

To add some context, I washed the car with pressurized water the day before, especially around the trunk and wiper area to clear out leaves. Also, during one of these occurrences, my fuel level was low.

After refueling, the problem vanished, and the vehicle drove normally for another 3 hours. But on another occasion, the same issue arose after about 2-3 hours of driving with a full fuel tank. Restarting the car seemed to temporarily alleviate the issue, much like JemFI's experience.

Given the similarity in symptoms, I'm curious to know if anyone has narrowed down the potential causes. Could it be related to the EGR as mentioned by Prette? I'm also considering getting a diagnostic tool to read any potential fault codes. Would appreciate any additional insights or advice.

Thanks!

Post #234562020th Aug 2023 10:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >