Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Poxy Jack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
al cope

England 
Poxy Jack

I've just had the misfortune to have to use the jack supplied with the car. Nerve racking or what. I followed all the instructions about having the car at its heighest suspension setting, and was on level ground, but the bloody jack was twisting and bending all over the place as it got to the point of getting the tyre clear of the floor. I even wound it down and put some blocks under it so that it wouldnt have to get fully extended. If I have a puncture roadside, LR assist is being called.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #521995th Apr 2006 4:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

On the LRE I saw the jacking system called (I think) EasyLift, where a "balloon" is blown up with the exhaust to lift the car. Seemed the lazy man's way to jack it up, though maybe a bit bulky to carry arond. Has anyone experience with that on a Disco, know what it costs, where you can buy it?

Eric

Post #522355th Apr 2006 8:44 pm
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

From what I know those kind of ballon jack won't work with a TDV6 because the pressure might be a tad too little as there two exhaust...

If there is some kind of bypass somewhere in the exhaust system, then the pressure instead of being used to inflate the jack will leave through the other exhaust... Wink

If no bypass then remember that you are inflating the jack using ONLY the exhaust of 3 cylinders... Wink Might then be slower than advertised...

Thus I would not mail-order such a piece of kit and instead try having someone do a demo for me using a DIII... Wink

Of course, I might be mistaken...

Post #523946th Apr 2006 7:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
espri

Maybe that's why they didn't have the EasyLift for the D3 in Finland, although I vaguely believe I heard them speak about a version with a plug for one exhaust. Would that do the engine any harm?

Eric

Post #524677th Apr 2006 10:17 am
lr1

United Kingdom 

Don't plug exhausts! In a one exhoust system plugging the exhaust will stop the engine. However on a V6 plugging only one side is going to cause problems and possible damage to the catalyic converter.

Not a good idea.

D.

Post #524897th Apr 2006 12:46 pm
espri

Thanks for the warning! Maybe I heard wrongly or misunderstood.

Eric

Post #524957th Apr 2006 1:46 pm
Gurvan

Plugging an exhaust with a potato used to be a good trick for "sabotaging" some vehicles in the past... Whistle Wink

Non damaging (The engine probably won't start...) and easy to do...

Post #525237th Apr 2006 6:35 pm
lr1

United Kingdom 

From what I know those kind of ballon jack won't work with a TDV6 because the pressure might be a tad too little as there two exhaust...
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't see why balloon jack would not work on just one exhoust as the three cylinders on one side of the V6 have a capacity of approx 1350cc which should be enough.

Do not of course, as I have previously stated plug, the other exhaust as the exhaust gases must be free to enter the atmostphere for the engine to operate. The two sides of the V6 engine operate independantly which is why if you plug one side only you will cause damage, the engine continues to try to run on the one side of the V6 while imporperly burnt fuel enterers the plugged side causing engine/catalyic converter damage.

However by connecting a balloon lifitng device to one side of the exhaust this may cause some imbalance in the V6 engine and possible damage. So this is probably not a good idea.

Anyone putting a potato, as you mention, on one side of a D3 will cause expensive damage, wheras on a one exhaust car the engine will not start.

D.

Post #5277210th Apr 2006 12:25 pm
espri

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I have now found the web site, www.air-jack.com , of the company which I think makes the EasyLift jack, Anglo & Foreign International Ltd in Winchester.

In an FAQ on that site they say the following about twin exhausts:

"What if I have twin exhausts? If the twin exhausts are twinned after the rest of the exhaust system is "siamesed", then you can use the accessory "Blocking Cone" to block one of them off while inflating from the other. If each of the two tailpipes comes from a separate manifold (some V8 and V12s) then you can use just one of the tailpipes without blocking the other. If such systems have a balancer pipe between them then you will still need to use a blocking cone."

I have sent an e-mail to the company, asking what they recommend for the Disco3 (and the price). I will report any answer here.

Eric

Post #5283310th Apr 2006 10:09 pm
espri

I have now received an interesting reply from David Olley of the company which make the EasyLift. He has posted that on his web site at http://www.air-jack.com/disco3.htm .

Although not 100% confirmed, it does look as though the EasyLift would work with the Disco3. Are there any forum members near Winchester, who might be interested in investigating further? Maybe someone can help him with more photos of the Disco exhausts (I am just rushing off on holiday).

Eric

Post #5326513th Apr 2006 9:44 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Winchester's not far from me, I'll get in touch and see if I can help out

Si
 The End  
Post #5327713th Apr 2006 11:51 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Spoken to David, we'll be D3 air jack testing tomorrow morning Very Happy
 The End  
Post #5328713th Apr 2006 1:00 pm
DiscoStu

England 

Gurvan wrote:
Plugging an exhaust with a potato used to be a good trick for "sabotaging" some vehicles in the past... Whistle Wink

Anyone watch 'Myth Busters' on the Discovery Channel?

They tried the potato in the exhaust to see if it would stop the engine - it didn't, the spud shot out like a bullet!

It was on a single exhaust motor, though, not like the Disco, and with no cat to mess up.
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #5330413th Apr 2006 4:51 pm
Gurvan

DiscoStu wrote:
They tried the potato in the exhaust to see if it would stop the engine - it didn't, the spud shot out like a bullet!

The trick is NOT to put the potato in when the engine is running but to put it in BEFORE starting the engine... On an old car with an old engine it works if the potato or the plug, is tight enough... As the exhaust gas cannot be released, the pressure buildup prevent the engine from starting really...

Now, on a modern engine with a turbo, it might not work, but on an old one...

Post #5331313th Apr 2006 6:08 pm
DiscoStu

England 

They put it in with the engine stopped. It was a very tight fit, specially cut to seal the pipe. It was a fairly old car, but a big V8 (its an american show). As soon as they turned the key and pumped the accelerator, out it shot.

They were quite surprised it started. They also tried various remedies for a leaking radiator - the best was a raw egg!
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #5336913th Apr 2006 10:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >