DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Pre- Cool function, BEWARE !!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Pre- Cool function, BEWARE !!!!

When I got home following my D3's first service yesterday, I thought I would check the function of the timed pre-cool function (leaving the radio on) just to make sure thay had not deleted the function as threatened in earlier posts. I am glad to say that it still works as before.

However, whilst I was checking it, I got diverted by a phone call, and as a result I forgot all about it and left it "pre-cooling". I did not return to the vehicle until this morning.

I first noticed something was wrong when I turned the key, the dash lights were very dim, and my handsfree phone went berserk. The system reported transmission failure, HDC inoperative, DSC Inoperative, all in quick succession. I tried to start it but it just clicked and went dead. FLAT BATTERY!

So I thought about phoning LR Assistance, but in the end, I jump started it myself from my old S2a. It was fine once it was running.

But if you use the Pre-Cool function be aware that it does not appear to switch itself off after the 30 minutes that the timer is set to, and it WILL flatten your battery Embarassed

Post #464515th Jun 2005 10:04 pm
ducati

That's idiotic.

Similarly idiotic, the centre console cooler box doesn't shut itself off, and will flatten the battery.
 '05 LR3 HSE

Departed: '62 Series IIA, '02 Freelander, '03 Disco 

Post #466316th Jun 2005 11:48 am
lee01277

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Fridge DOES shut off on mine ???
 ..............Somewhere in-between my old D3 and what's to come next .........  
Post #472817th Jun 2005 6:57 am
Ecosse

Certainly switches off after 30 mins on mine Very Happy In any event, surely the most likely use of pre-COOL is when you are parked up during a hot day, set the timer for ahead of estimate time of return & then obviously the car will be started up anyway? But it sounds like another bug in the system on individual cars!

Post #473117th Jun 2005 7:10 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Ecosse, it normaly does on mine, just on this occasion it did'nt, and I got diverted and forgot about it. I have used pre-cool a fair bit recently, and as you say, the car is usually started up and driven within a reasonable time.

Post #473417th Jun 2005 7:38 am
Ecosse

In a way this ties in with what LR have told me that the functions are not design tested and because of possible component conflicts they will not/can not officially activate it on existing vehicles Mad Mind you it does sound as if they just need to get the programming of the various controls sorted out!

Post #473517th Jun 2005 7:49 am
BN

England 

Hi guys, I 've tried mine and it does not work at all, thats a surprise. I am going in for software upgrade 10 next week though. Fingers crossed. I have also been promissed a spell on the computer to see just how the software works. Wish I knew more about computers, could be valuable.

Post #473617th Jun 2005 8:45 am
Locki

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Smile Smile Smile Nice to learn that we are drivin with Microsoft Smile Smile Smile

But, how I can find out wich software version I'm running, ... or better: driving ???

Post #473917th Jun 2005 9:28 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

maybe nothings changed as I guess version 10 refers to the disk version and not individual software versions for each vehicle ??

Anyone know ? There was a guy on the forum who had access to all this but he seems to have gone 'quiet'

-s

Post #474117th Jun 2005 9:52 am
ducati

lee01277 wrote:

Really? Mine was on for 4 hours one day, I was quite surprised when I returned to find it still on. My dealer reports one flat battery due to leaving a fridge on.

I *have* had mine shut off, but while the car was on Question

LOL, just like my windscreen washer--sometimes the wipers clear the wash spray, but most of the time they don't Rolling Eyes
 '05 LR3 HSE

Post #474717th Jun 2005 11:43 am
lee01277

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

ducati wrote:
lee01277 wrote:

Really? Mine was on for 4 hours one day, I was quite surprised when I returned to find it still on. My dealer reports one flat battery due to leaving a fridge on.

I *have* had mine shut off, but while the car was on Question

LOL, just like my windscreen washer--sometimes the wipers clear the wash spray, but most of the time they don't Rolling Eyes

I've not switched off the fridge for 4000 miles, but in the mornings it always seems to be off, and comes on at some point when it feels more juice from the battery..
 ..............Somewhere in-between my old D3 and what's to come next .........  
Post #478317th Jun 2005 5:36 pm
ducati

Something must be wrong with mine, then. Probably some odd communication issue Very Happy
 '05 LR3 HSE

Post #479017th Jun 2005 9:16 pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 
Re: Pre- Cool function, BEWARE !!!!

Gareth wrote:
...However, whilst I was checking it, I got diverted by a phone call, and as a result I forgot all about it and left it "pre-cooling". I did not return to the vehicle until this morning.

I first noticed something was wrong when I turned the key, the dash lights were very dim, and my handsfree phone went berserk. The system reported transmission failure, HDC inoperative, DSC Inoperative, all in quick succession. I tried to start it but it just clicked and went dead. FLAT BATTERY!

So I thought about phoning LR Assistance, but in the end, I jump started it myself from my old S2a. It was fine once it was running.

Missed opportunity here methinks - would have been nice to see LR explain this to you:

LR: "Well your battery's flat because you left your pre-cooler running for so long"
Gareth: "So the Discovery 3 has a pre-cooler does it?"
LR: "Ah... er.. cough cough.... sorry, interference on the line.... hello? hello?" <click>

Wink

Post #487720th Jun 2005 1:45 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Errrr... I'm not that quick first thing in the morning, need a few expresso's to get going. If only I'd thought of that!

Post #489420th Jun 2005 6:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >