Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Pre Heater
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
BN

England 

zig wrote:
On my 06 model a Thermo Top Z is fitted. Did earlier models have the Thermo Top C fitted or have they always been Thermo Top Zs?

As I understand it the Thermo Top Z is a supplementary heater i.e. it adds to the heat generated by the engine output and as such is only designed to work when the engine is running.

On the otherhand the Thermo Top C is an auxiliary heater which can be used to preheat the interior/defrost windscreens and preheat the engine.

The main difference between the Thermo Top Z and Thermo Top C is that the Thermo Top C has a circulation pump. However, a retrofit kit is available to convert the Thermo Top Z into an auxiliary heater (adds the circulation pump).

With the engine off, if a way can be found of operating a Thermo Top Z without the retrofit kit, is there not a risk of overheating the heater as the engine will not be circulating the coolant?

The heater fitted is a Thermo Top but made under licence to Ford (LR). It is the top of the range model and is capable of heating a small motor home or caravan on its own. It will heat the engine water and the car if linked in conjunction with the main car heating system which it does at the moment when the car is running.

If we can start it and keep it running without the engine it will pre heat the engine water and the car.

When the car is not running and you guys are trying to use it, the system defaults to what ever you left the settings in the car at, which could cause a problem if no vents are open.

May I say thank you to all you guys who have also PM'd me on the subject, I think I have replied to you all now, but will get back to all of you when I have the full answers. You contributions of fact will be passed onto Webasto, thank you.

Post #2923223rd Nov 2005 8:36 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

zig wrote:
On my 06 model a Thermo Top Z is fitted. Did earlier models have the Thermo Top C fitted or have they always been Thermo Top Zs?

As I understand it the Thermo Top Z is a supplementary heater i.e. it adds to the heat generated by the engine output and as such is only designed to work when the engine is running.

On the otherhand the Thermo Top C is an auxiliary heater which can be used to preheat the interior/defrost windscreens and preheat the engine.

The main difference between the Thermo Top Z and Thermo Top C is that the Thermo Top C has a circulation pump. However, a retrofit kit is available to convert the Thermo Top Z into an auxiliary heater (adds the circulation pump).

With the engine off, if a way can be found of operating a Thermo Top Z without the retrofit kit, is there not a risk of overheating the heater as the engine will not be circulating the coolant?

Just to confuse things further my D3 is fitted with a Thermo Top V (at least that's what the sticker on the side says) and it's got a circulation pump (well if it isn't one it's doing a damn good impression of one Wink )
 The End  
Post #2923423rd Nov 2005 8:45 am
BN

England 

Slimer wrote:
zig wrote:

Just to confuse things further my D3 is fitted with a Thermo Top V (at least that's what the sticker on the side says) and it's got a circulation pump (well if it isn't one it's doing a damn good impression of one Wink )

We can have Thermo Top P or V, depends which LR decided at the time. V is more likely. Thermo Top is the most important the rest is coding in the case of OEM.

Post #2923723rd Nov 2005 8:57 am
zig

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Sorry, I got it wrong my 06 model has a Thermo Top V fitted not a Thermo Top Z as I previously stated and it has a circulation pump fitted.

Post #2933423rd Nov 2005 7:18 pm
BN

England 

zig wrote:
Sorry, I got it wrong my 06 model has a Thermo Top V fitted not a Thermo Top Z as I previously stated and it has a circulation pump fitted.

Yes, it could in fact have any digit after the Thermo Top.

Post #2933823rd Nov 2005 7:28 pm
kjh1957

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
lock unlock wake up?

Following up earlier post, did the lock unlock activate the cabin pre-heater?
Incidentally i did note that the pre-heater wouldn't fire up when the low fuel warning light was on.

Post #2934923rd Nov 2005 7:51 pm
BN

England 
Re: lock unlock wake up?

kjh1957 wrote:
Following up earlier post, did the lock unlock activate the cabin pre-heater?
Incidentally i did note that the pre-heater wouldn't fire up when the low fuel warning light was on.

Well done you are the first to point that out. It is a fail safe of course and will inhibit the heater. The heater pickup in the tank is about 2 cm higher than the engine pickup for fuel.

Post #2938623rd Nov 2005 8:38 pm
lee01277

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

To get fbh instant on when in PJ mode in the morning, I just adjust the clock to just before whatever time the settings is set to, but you still need to prime the settings in the menu. Just means you don't have to wait upto 15 mins for it to kick in.
 ..............Somewhere in-between my old D3 and what's to come next .........  
Post #2999827th Nov 2005 8:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >