Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

The Pre-Heater Once Again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

the tension... and I have no way to access the timer of course but I am still very expectant !

-s

Post #510722nd Jun 2005 8:37 pm
BN

England 

Simon, nothing to do with the pre-heater.

Post #511022nd Jun 2005 8:40 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

BN, Let me elaborate on the low fuel situation. Please bear in mind that unless your contact has got a freezer large enough to take a D3 then until October/November it won't get cold enough to test.

I noticed several times over last winter (I had the car from November) that when the air was cold enough in the morning, or during the day, and the engine was also cool, that the supplemental function of the Webasto heater started up as it is supposed to.

There were occasions when it was very cold, and the heater did not come on when I started the engine. This made the warm up of the engine VERY slow indeed (the heater makes a BIG difference). My normal commute is 8 miles. With the heater working, the car was at normal operating temp in 4 miles. When the heater did not come on, It was still cool when I got to work. These no heat situations seemed to coincide with low fuel.

I am willing to have my car inspected, give me a bit of notice and I will do what I can, I go on holiday for 3 weeks on 25th July.

Post #512522nd Jun 2005 9:18 pm
Neil R

It was me

Go to the bottom of this post

OK, this is the answer:

The pre-heater, should only work when the temperature is below 4C. When below 4C the pre-heater warms the car interior up quicker than the engine powered heater can, when the engine is running only. THAT IS ITS FUNCTION, nothing else.

What the software is doing in the car is unknown (apart from it is thought to have been an idea of LR from the RR, but this is not verified) and it will not work other than the 'cheat' that some of you have found with the radio and that is a pure accident, that effects the CAN BUS (techies will know, I have no idea what that is).

The reason LR have not opened up the other options via the software is that the car heater control needs another connection to operate the in car heater flaps. If you could programme the Webasto heater and the flaps, all would work apart from the fact, as I said months ago the fuel could run out even though the car is switched off and parked, which would require bleeding in the case of a diesel. Be warned to try the 'cheat' could case damage to the heater flaps, maybe?

There is also the fact that the fuel tank is not wired to the heater sensors to tell the Webasto that it is running low on fuel, so in theory the pre-heater could empty the fuel tank if you are on low anyway.

The Range Rover has a different fuel tank and sensors to do just that. To wire in a sensor to a D3 is difficult and costly for fuel.

There is a remedy and one guy on the forum was actually offered a trial fix, but did not for reasons that are irrelevant to this take it up, I may.
If I do when I have sorted out warranty difficulties, I will then let you know the results. One step at a time.

If I do take this step, I will be able to programme the pre-heater virtually the same as my RR, which is very versatile. The fix if it works, could then be made available, but not through Land Rover. We will see?

It was me that was offered a fix from wabasto, I did some testing with them on my D3 and then My dealer replaced it I have only had the replacement 2 months and i got an email 2 weeks ago from them saying the solution was ready and it would cost me about £300, but

1) it isnt cold at the moment so why spend the money now
2) I was trying to get out of my car and into a Range Rover Sport and new that i would not recoup these costs

As I have sold my car and pick up my RRS in 3 weeks I had to decline.

Hope this makes sense

Neil
 2005 Java Range Rover Sport 2.7 TDV6 HS (GONE)
Stormer wheels, SC Grills, Tow pack,PTI,Adaptive lights,Useless coolerbox (GONE)

2010 RRS HSE Santorini/Ivory TDV8 Overfinch'd 

Post #527823rd Jun 2005 8:12 pm
BN

England 

Niel, I know it was you, but did not want to tell everyone, go back to RRS. I am at the moment in negotiations with LR and speaking with Webasto for a fix that could be made available in a short time. The rest you have read, other than I think Gareth has a rare D3 with the only tank sensor fitted in the world. We know one or two were fitted as an experiment, but no one knew where they were. As Gareths is one of the first, we could have found it. If the sensor works, we have the answer to one of the questions.

Post #528223rd Jun 2005 8:18 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Roll on Winter Sad I can't wait for some cold weather to check this out.

At least the nights are drawing in now, soon be christmas.

Post #531524th Jun 2005 8:39 am
BN

England 

Synical old sod Sad

Post #532824th Jun 2005 10:22 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Bl@@dy typical.

We have a big garden party at our house tomorrow, got 50 guests coming, and its raining!

Me cynical? I wonder why Wink

Post #533224th Jun 2005 10:47 am
NightFox

United Kingdom 

I’ve heard from a source at LR that on the ’06 Disco the engine will be still be fitted but will be disabled – this is due to the fact that if the owner leaves the vehicle running for a long time then eventually the engine will drain all the fuel from the fuel tank which would require the system to be bled, and could cause damage to the vehicle.

Wink

Last edited by NightFox on 24th Jun 2005 12:16 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #533324th Jun 2005 11:41 am
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Gareth wrote:
Bl@@dy typical.

We have a big garden party at our house tomorrow, got 50 guests coming, and its raining!

It's always raining in Stockport. Why get your hopes up?

Post #533424th Jun 2005 11:46 am
BN

England 

NightFox wrote:
I’ve heard from a source at LR that on the ’06 Disco the engine will be still be fitted but will be disabled – this is due to the fact that if the owner leaves the vehicle running for a long time then eventually the engine will drain all the fuel from the fuel tank which would require the system to be bled, and could cause damage to the vehicle.

Wink

I said that in the initial post. The 'pot' in the silly shaped tank would empty before it could re fill. Yes the 06 version will be the same and possibly the 07 the way we are going on.

Post #535724th Jun 2005 1:12 pm
BN

England 

Gareth wrote:
Bl@@dy typical.

Me cynical? I wonder why Wink

At least you spelt cynical correctly and didn't pick me up on it. Thanx Gareth. Have a nice party, when can we all arrive? Very Happy

Post #535824th Jun 2005 1:14 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

You can all arrive whenever you like! So long as you bring the sunshine Razz

There is one spelling mistake on the front page of this site - see if you can spot it!

Post #536524th Jun 2005 1:51 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

afliated

Post #537424th Jun 2005 2:27 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Correct!!

Affiliated.

Sorry, Martin, I do it all the time with our programmers! they hate me!

Post #537724th Jun 2005 2:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >