DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Premium Fuels
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Firebod999

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4
Premium Fuels

Hi,
Just curious as to whether anyone uses Premium fuels such as Esso Synergy Supreme + Premium Diesel or Shell V-Power Diesel in there Disco’s. If you have used these fuels have you noticed any difference with performance? Was thinking of trying out one of these fuels but thought I would ask about first to see if it’s worth the extra money.

Post #19344147th Apr 2018 6:31 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

NEver noticed a difference in performance, but always noticed better fuel economy Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #19344167th Apr 2018 6:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Premium Fuels

Firebod999 wrote:
Hi,
Just curious as to whether anyone uses Premium fuels such as Esso Synergy Supreme + Premium Diesel or Shell V-Power Diesel in there Disco’s. If you have used these fuels have you noticed any difference with performance? Was thinking of trying out one of these fuels but thought I would ask about first to see if it’s worth the extra money.

Up here I fill the Volvo with regular non-special diesel. So pretty much chase the lowest price per liter in the Helsinki metro area. Been doing that for the last 10 years, doesn’t seem to make much difference. Previous V70 had a 1.6 l DRIVe engine and used ~5.5 l/100 km. The current V70 has a 2.0 l turbo engine and uses 6.7 l/100 km.

For consumers who want to have a peace of mind and pay extra, Neste sells something called “MY” (based on NExBTL) which is a diesel oil constructed out of vegetable oils and waste fats. It’s priced like 95E10 so roughly 0.20 e/l higher than standard dinosaur diesel...

If someone is curious, the D3 V8 runs on 95E10 (so 95 RON with 10% bioethanol per liter volume) which is the cheapest alternative. We would have 98E5, too, and Shell would have V-Power somewhere (99..) but why pay extra? Americans fill their LR3s with premium gasoline, ~91 AKI, which is roughly equivalent to 95 RON.

So far the best savings in fuel that I’ve ever got was getting a stuck caliper and EPB shoes fixed. Consumption dropped from 16.8 l to 13.2 l/100 km. Whistle

Post #19344267th Apr 2018 7:28 pm
Washwipe

England 

Disco_Mikey wrote:
NEver noticed a difference in performance, but always noticed better fuel economy Thumbs Up

Interesting, at work Esso has been cheapest for us since beginning of November, on vans capable of returning 30 to 40mpg, run/driver dependant, looking over the reports early this year it was noted more, beginning of February BP dropped the price and has been the fuel of choice, by the time the driver used the second tankful all vehicles were showing a 2 to 3mpg improvement.

Not a premium fuel but a branded difference.

Post #19344367th Apr 2018 8:36 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I always used to try and use BP/Shell etc, but occasionally a tank of V-Power or Ultimate would go in, and would see a 3-4mpg improvement

No idea if it made the price difference worth it or not, but it would regularly return over 500 miles per tank, where it was a struggle to reach 500 on normal BP/Shelll
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #19344387th Apr 2018 8:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco dazboy

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

That’s interesting washwipe we switched our 2013 focus 1.6 diesel from standard bp to premium bp and there wasn’t any increase in mpg at all!
 D3 x2 now gone
Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace 4motion 

Post #19344417th Apr 2018 8:43 pm
FISHBOY

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Must admit I don't really ever consider the mpg, however have noticed that I can get about an extra 50 miles (compared to full on the dash) by properly brimming the tank.

Girls got good pipes Laughing

Find she does run smoother on premium.
 Last of the D4 HSE...  
Post #19344467th Apr 2018 9:06 pm
deanslandy

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Always use Shell V power and runs smooth
 Belts, oil pump casing and water pump by Flack
Transmission flush by Geoff 

Post #19344537th Apr 2018 9:26 pm
Kingmav66

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I don't know about power/mpg. But the chaps that sorted out my injector issue, said they recommend using premium fuels, although they would have less work if everyone did use them. Thumbs Up

Post #19344547th Apr 2018 9:27 pm
Firebod999

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Thanks guys for your input, I guess from what I have read from you I will be filling up with Shell V-Power tomorrow and seeing for myself if there are any differences with my D4.

Dale

Post #19344787th Apr 2018 11:23 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Ive tried the posh fuels in many cars over the years and all sorts of additives and have to say hand on heart I have never noticed any difference to the running/power or the mpg.

My Fil ran the exact same commute for years and he tried the posh petrol for a time and he reckoned yes it had a bit more go and did slightly more mpg, but the extra mpg didnt cover the extra cost so he gave it up.
He was very precise with figures, for example he had to run to cambridge every day for about 6 months and worked out that taking one passenger cost him an extra 50p on the round trip in fuel.

I reckon years ago when cars were carbed and for the most part underpowered then yes it did make a difference, but nowadays where even the most basic pile of poo will crack the ton I reckon most would be hard pressed to tell any difference.

Post #19344928th Apr 2018 4:08 am
Scott #55

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I try to use Shell V-Power. There is a slight improvement on the MPG reported by the dash - I know it’s not that accurate but I’ve assumed that the error will be the same, whatever the fuel type.

Not noticed any performance difference.

My brother (who likes his cars fast and sporty, not big and dirty) will avoid supermarket fuel like the plague. He had an issue with soot deposits (or some such) in his engine and was told by the mechanics that the problem was caused by that type of fuel. I’ve got no idea if it’s right, but it adds to the anecdotal lore.

Regarding economy, I don’t believe that the extra cost is completely balanced by the improved MPG. But it’s impossible to factor in whether the supposedly “better for your engine” theory will extend your engine’s life.

If you can afford it, get it. Just be aware that, each time you revert to supermarket fuel, you’ll need a couple of refills of the good stuff to flush the other fuel through.
 2014 - D4 2010 HSE Nara Bronze
2012 - FL2 2009 GS Stornoway Grey
2001 - VW Passat Estate Inky Blue
1999 - Ford Mondeo Light Blue
1998 - Rover 25 Red 

Post #19345048th Apr 2018 7:46 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Disco_Mikey wrote:

Found the same in the D4 but concluded it just wasn’t worth the extra cost. I do use the posh drop in countries where the price difference is a bit less severe. Thumbs Up

Post #19345058th Apr 2018 7:49 am
dgarside

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

If you have a CostCo Petrol Station near you and a member 😉 try the diesel it’s premium so similar to the other good brands but cheaper. Even the super unleaded is good quality and 99 RON.
 RLD CB Bracket
RLD Spare Wheel Protector
RLD Sump Protector
ProSpeed Compressor Cover
TPMS Retrofit
Range Rover Digital Dash Upgrade
Tesla Style Android Screen Upgrade 

Post #19345118th Apr 2018 8:22 am
Geoff at Drym

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

My EGR valves were replaced at 40,000mls. From 70,000mls on I have always used Shell V-power and the EGRs started to play up at 103,000mls. One was partially stuck and the other was still operating. Changed them and cleaned up the dirty ones, so now have a spare set. I belong to the Shell drivers club and get a little bit of cash back. Not enough to offset the increase in cost but I am happy that the V-power does seem to keep things clean. Engine seems to run smoothly and economy is slightly better.
 2007 Disco3 2.7 tdv6 SE
gvif with reversing camera
V8 brakes with new EPB module and shoes
Later D4 grille
Alive tuning remap
Mazda MX5
Ferguson ted20 tractor
Hyundai Getz 1.4 (wife's ) 

Post #19345538th Apr 2018 10:36 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to: