Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Pressure does not decrease when venting gallery.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Ystervark

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Pressure does not decrease when venting gallery.

I know this problem has been mentioned before all over, but mine seems to be special.

I'm rather new to the Disco 3 but spent quite a bit of time under it and researching it lately.

After lots of fiddling including replacing the entire compressor to resolve this problem im still not winning.

My current theory is the EAS ECU is faulty. But this is where i need all your thoughts.

The problem seems to be that the pilot valve solenoid is not getting the voltage it needs from the ECU.

When it should open it gets an initial 2v burst (and this seems to be enough to open the valve) but it quickly drops to only 1.5v and this it seems is not enough.

I have checked and double checked the wiring from the valve to the ECU and all tested good.

I have taken the voltage at the ECU and the compressor and on both the same result.

Can it really be the ECU?

Post #20740376th Aug 2019 5:28 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Yes it could breaking down on one of the chips, I have changed a few that have been faulty.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #20740656th Aug 2019 6:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cestor

Israel 2008 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Have you tried replacing or refurbishing the relevant valve block? I had the same problem and the forums seemed to indicate that a likely cause was desiccant getting into the valve block. There are refurbish kits and youtube videos or you can replace the block if you are short on time.

Post #20744578th Aug 2019 7:15 am
Ystervark

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Just an FYI.
I finally found a workaround for my problem.
It turns out it must be the ECU not supplying enough power to open the exhaust pilot valve. When measured while connected i measured an initial 2.5v with a multimeter (this seems to have been able to open the solenoid) but it almost instantly dropped to 1.5v (valve closed) and soon after "bong"

I found a secondhand ECU to test with. And this ECU did manage to open the exhaust pilot valve like it should. But due to the VIN mismatch was not an option. And since i could not find someone in South Africa with software capable of changing VIN or at least willing to try and make it work i came up with a different approach.

When not connected to the valve the ECU supplied 12v. Permanent positive and supplying negative when valve needs to open. So i wired in a small relay at the compressor. The power from the ECU is enough to close the relay and the relay then gives negative to the solenoid. Works like a charm!

Thanx to everyone who assisted!

Post #20803282nd Sep 2019 5:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >