Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Price difference UK-AUS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
outlook31

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Price difference UK-AUS

Looking at the price of AUS disco3 to see if its worth shipping my 2005 HSE to Aus when we move next year.
If anyone has any experience of this please share with me.
Kind regards.

Post #104178124th Jan 2013 11:10 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Dont yer have to pay a considerable import duty if bring yer own car... or something similar. Shocked

Post #104179824th Jan 2013 11:37 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I think that has changed. If you have owned the car for a certain time I think it is free of import duty.
Others have done from SA, do a search. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #104181825th Jan 2013 12:07 am
Neil Pettersen

Contact this lot

http://www.cargoonline.com.au/rulesregulations.php

imho I wouldn't bother with the expense on an old vehicle

Post #104185825th Jan 2013 6:20 am
Ajp001

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I bought a brand new V6 petrol 4.0 litre SE in Melbourne in April 2007 for 63K AUD. At the time that was a great deal as they were pushing them. Exchange rate at the time meant was only about 27K GBP. Sold it in August 2009 for about 50K AUS. I know D4s are a huge amount more now but it would be worth looking at the secondhand values on those SEs.
 2016 Landmark
2005 V8 HSE 

Post #104209825th Jan 2013 3:59 pm
jpi3418

Australia 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Re: Price difference UK-AUS

outlook31 wrote:
Looking at the price of AUS disco3 to see if its worth shipping my 2005 HSE to Aus when we move next year.
If anyone has any experience of this please share with me.
Kind regards.

I have imported two cars from the UK to Australia and there are a number of things you need to know before you make your decision.
1. Australia has a set of automotive standards called Australian Design Requirements or ADR's. These are really just a form of import restriction because any car imported to Australia has to comply with these, and they are slightly different to UK or European standards meaning cars need to manufactured specifically for our market. This aids the local manufacturers and pushes up the cost of imports. Hence cars are very expensive here. You will need to get your Land Rover checked on arrival by an automotive engineer who will advise on what modifications need to be made and that will cost between $1000 and $2000 just for the inspection.
2. All cars sold new in Australia have a Compliance Plate which says the car complies with ADR's and states the date of manufacture. Any car which doesn't have this plate (i.e. personal imports) suffer greatly reduced resale values, typically 25 - 50% less than the equivalent model with a plate. This is less likely to be an issue with a Land Rover as they all come from the UK anyway and you're unlikely to be doing lots of harsh off-roading there compared to LR owners here. However when you do come to sell expect buyers to negotiate a lower price because its a personal import.
3. UK Land Rovers have different (higher) specs than Australian ones. The D3 came in S, SE and HSE specs, and none had sat nav as standard, whereas the UK mid-range XS model and above did.
4. Australians are wary of the reliability of older LR's which depresses resale values, so you may find your Disco 3 is not worth what you thought. Check www.redbook.com.au to get an idea of price, but factor in point 2.

My recommendation would be to import the newest car you can, preferably a higher spec D4. You will make a far bigger saving compared to the local price, and get better resale. The base D4 with the lower powered 3.0l diesel (155 kW) costs around $70k, the SE with the more powerful diesel, leather and 7 seats costs around $85k, the HSE costs around $110k, and the V8 petrol is $130k. The most egregiously priced vehicles here are BMW's, Mercedes and Porsches, so you may want to bring one of them out as well. By means of comparison, a new BMW 520D costs around 28k pounds in the UK, and 60k pounds in Australia.

Despite the fact that we are ripped off for anything imported, we do have sunnier weather. Good luck with your move.
Cheers
 2005 D3 TdV6 HSE Buckingham Blue
2010 D4 3.0 TdV6 SE Stornoway Grey
2014 D4.5 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze 

Post #107820326th Mar 2013 3:19 am
chrisalang

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I brought my 2005 HSE over 18 months ago. The resale value will be much lower over here than an identical Aus car. However, if you sell it in the UK and buy an identical car here you will be well out of pocket. The process is tedious but I can help you with that if you want to as I now know how to do it! If you have time (ie a year or more before you come out) sell the D3, buy a D4 and bring that out. Just another point, if you are bringing any parts you will get charged by customs. Try to have them fitted to the car already! If I can be of any more help please contact me.

Post #110291813th May 2013 9:18 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >