Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Problem with my NOx - 2016 D4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
UffBrock

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks Guys.

Fat Bloke – You might think that, I couldn’t possibly comment!

Jenseneverest – My mileage isn’t very high but it is fairly varied so I would have expected the regens to have triggered in the normal course. I am inclined to the view (admittedly unqualified) that if an open circuit fault triggers then it should mean just that – even if it is an intermittent open circuit. Your comments make me even more suspicious about the sensor itself.

Gary_P – Yes, interesting. I had another look at the instructions that came with the Adblue kit. They are pictorial only but I see that they include a 4 min container-inverted ‘fill’ time and a 30 sec period during which the container is supposed to be left connected but placed bottom down – presumably below the level of the filler and for the purposes of creating the necessary air gap. I’m wondering if I mucked that up somehow.

Thanks again - I’ll update as things develop.

Post #21654473rd Aug 2020 5:22 pm
UffBrock

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Sensor tested and found faulty. Replacement on order for Monday.

I know, proof of the pudding etc. etc. but it looks as if I'd have won my bet.

Post #216764214th Aug 2020 2:51 pm
Bobtail2

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi, you mentioned a faulty sensor, I have a similar problem. wondering what sensor cured you problems.

I just posted this to try and get some help.

Hi I have an amber engine warning light showing, the obd says it's P20EE SCR NOx Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1
I have seen this type of fault mentioned before and was down to a sensor, question is which one?
Any help advice please, Before someone says test the sensors, how, the Bosch sensor has 6 wires coming from it. the sensor on the N/S down pipe has 4 wires.
The OBD is not giving me a reading from two of the sensors, bank 1 sensor 2 and bank 2 sensor 1.
I have readings from 3 other sensors.
Cheers B

Post #216917422nd Aug 2020 9:45 am
UffBrock

I didn't test the sensor myself, so I don't know how it was done.

As to which sensor, it was my understanding (and I stand to be corrected) that the D4 had only one upstream sensor (bank 1, sensor 1). That was the one that was intermittently going open circuit in my case and so far (touch wood) replacement - LR110460 - seems to have fixed the problem.

One thing thing the garage did mention was that the sensor put up a fight against removal (corrosion). I'm therefore pleased that I didn't try to do the job myself.

Post #216917822nd Aug 2020 10:29 am
bartlett007

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Mariana BlackDiscovery 4

Hi

I've been having the same problem for the past few months with my D4 (MY2016), with reoccurring P20EE-00 / P2BAF-00 / P2BAE-00 codes relating to catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 1.

Its been to the dealer numerous times and they cannot locate the fault - I've had the DEF injector replaced, DEF drained and replaced and exhaust system cleaned/checked - it all then works ok for about 2 weeks until EML comes back on.

Had Land Rover Assist out at the weekend as it came back on and they are confident it has to be a faulty Nox sensor (LR078809) - it's booked in to be replaced on Monday. I will ask them to check the oxygen sensor (LR110460) at the same time as this could also be the culprit.

Bobtail2 - did you manage to locate/fix the problem on yours?

Cheers

Post #21713533rd Sep 2020 2:43 pm
Bobtail2

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Managed to solve the problem, SOLD THE CAR.
Broke my heart, loved that car. We buy made me an offer I could not refuse.
I could not even delete the main fault with the Icarsoft tool, stayed as a permanent fault ?
I had loads of views on the issue but no one came back with a specific reply to the problem.
Good luck with your problems, let me know how you get on.

All the Best, Barry.

Post #21713883rd Sep 2020 4:25 pm
bartlett007

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Mariana BlackDiscovery 4

Sorry to hear you had to sell to resolve the issue. I will update the thread with how i get on.

So far my faults could all be cleared, but this was by the dealer or LA - they all seem to relate to the DEF quality?? which has been replaced by LR the last time it went in, so it is definitely not that. Hoping its just a dodgy sensor sending wrong info to the ECU.

UffBrock - did the new sensor (LR110460) fix your issue?

Cheers

Post #21714343rd Sep 2020 7:03 pm
bartlett007

Ok, so 11 weeks and over 1600 miles later I'm pleased to report that the replacement Nox sensor (LR104385) seems to have resolved my issue (reoccurring P20EE-00 / P2BAF-00 / P2BAE-00 codes relating to catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 1 and incorrect DEF fluid)

I note that the original Nox sensor on mine (MY16) was LR078809 which has since been superseded with the one just fitted (LR104385) - so maybe an improved sensor - both are Bosch.

It did take 6 months to get to the root of the issue, with a cleaned and then replacement DEF injector, DPF re-gen and new Ad-Blu all done first, as i believe was indicated by the code reader, none of which fixed the fault, which came back within about a week each time. Hopefully by going straight to the Nox sensor (as finally advised by Land Rover assist), this may save anyone else who reads this time and money on all the other unnecessary (in my case) work. Fortunately all the work was covered by my extended warranty so can't fault LR there - I know the new sensor fitted would have cost £370 (LR dealer).

Post #218831920th Nov 2020 1:17 pm
UffBrock

First, apologies to bartlett007 for not responding earlier – I somehow missed the post. The answer is that replacing the LR110460 sensor appears to have solved the problem for me. The garage did say they’d tested the old one and found it faulty and, since the new sensor was installed, I’ve had no more codes. That said, I've been obliged to shelter since this Covid nonsense started and have used the Disco relatively little. I certainly haven’t towed with it yet.

I confess confusion over the function of these different sensors. LR110460 is routinely described as a lambda oxygen sensor and LR104385, though occasionally described as a NOX trap temperature sensor is more commonly described just as a NOX sensor. If anyone can bring clarification, I for one would be grateful. Perhaps better still would be the overview description from the relevant section of the 2016 workshop manual. Whistle

Post #218835320th Nov 2020 3:58 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

You have to be careful with nox codes, if it says out of range/parameters we found many moons ago it was actually telling the truth and the fault was upstream, ie an scr fault not bringing the nox down.
We still see this issue on the older trucks.

But we still change loads of nox sensors as well, that is normally an internal fault on the nox ecu itself.

Post #218839520th Nov 2020 6:47 pm
bartlett007

No worries UffBrock - I'm pleased to hear that the fault appears to be fixed in your case - hopefully it won't be long until you can start to use the Disco a bit more.

As for the difference in parts - i believe yours was an upstream O2 sensor (before the DPF and SCR Cat) which is used to monitor/control the engine efficiency and the Nox sensor changed in my case was downstream (after the DPF and SCR) so measuring the Nox levels exiting the SCR. They are shown as follows according to this useful site i found from LR

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/p...and-rover/

LR110460 - part 9F472 in the illustration

LR104385 - Part 9D378 in the illustration

I'm not a mechanic, but as i understand these sensors do get exposed to quite extreme temperatures and it's not uncommon for them to need replacing. I also found the following YouTube video useful to understand how the exhaust SCR exhaust system works - it explains how different sections work and how they are ultimately linked - so if a sensor fails along any point it's going to throw up some warning codes - the annoying part is figuring out which sensor!

Hope this helps

Post #218854221st Nov 2020 1:13 pm
UffBrock

Thanks for that. I’d seen the jaguarlandroverclassic illustration but hadn’t focused on the drop down menus before.

The YouTube video was a real find. I wonder if I can now look forward to crystallised DEF due to Covid shutdown?

Thanks again.

Post #218878022nd Nov 2020 1:33 pm
UffBrock

I came across this the other day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mags7bhzCR4. The video focusses on faulty scan tools and, in each case, it seems that coding errors were to blame.

The P20EE error code concerned was similar to mine and so it was interesting watching his diagnostic process and his own explanation of the emissions system.

It happens that I've had a single repeat of my earlier problem - whilst mid-overtake with the caravan on the back. I'm assured that the original sensor was caput so perhaps there's another problem lurking somewhere as well. I'm in monitoring mode for now.

Post #22981572nd Jul 2022 3:07 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

UffBrock wrote:
Thanks for that. I’d seen the jaguarlandroverclassic illustration but hadn’t focused on the drop down menus before.

The YouTube video was a real find. I wonder if I can now look forward to crystallised DEF due to Covid shutdown?

Thanks again.

It will be just fine, we have motors stand for a year with zero adblue issues, the rest of the vehicle falls apart though!

Post #22981842nd Jul 2022 8:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >